D-line and holding

I know this has been hashed and rehashed over thousands of threads but, we know, holding is not going to be called in the BIG or apparently in any conference now. That being the case, why aren't we teaching our Defensive line to break some arms (not really) but, grab the offensive player and "give a twist". Push up under the pads, give a quick slap to the head (sit down, just kidding) but you get it. I am just as frustrated as I imagine Jared Crick is when the Wiscy center hooked him around the neck and there was no call. Bo talks about technique, but all he requires is a bull rush. Where's the technique in that? Enough said, I just see a big difference in player development now then I did 2 years ago.

I know this has been hashed and rehashed over thousands of threads but, we know, holding is not going to be called in the BIG or apparently in any conference now. That being the case, why aren't we teaching our Defensive line to break some arms (not really) but, grab the offensive player and "give a twist". Push up under the pads, give a quick slap to the head (sit down, just kidding) but you get it. I am just as frustrated as I imagine Jared Crick is when the Wiscy center hooked him around the neck and there was no call. Bo talks about technique, but all he requires is a bull rush. Where's the technique in that? Enough said, I just see a big difference in player development now then I did 2 years ago.

I long for the days when we didn't have to bitch and moan about the refs. I'm sure Wistrom and Tomich and all those guys got held too. They just did something about it. Our defensive line and particularly the ends have stunk for a long time with the exception of Suh. It's probably easier to hold the defender with the type of defensive scheme we play.

It's pretty obvious and has been all season, the problem is the kid who retaliates always seems to be the one who is caught. Apparently in the B1G they won't call holding, but they'll call pass interference if it's even remotely physical along with personal fouls. This is what I'm hearing from the Iowa fans, so it sounds like we need to get used to it.

Bo coached Dorsey at LSU and Suh here. I think he does well for developing players and technique. The players just need to get some peter brothers attitude or something.

Is it all attitude? Does this "D" just need the killer instinct, the "WANT TO" that Bo referred too in his presser? I have faith my brothers but, I do not see the will to play, to win, to finish.

Bo coached Dorsey at LSU and Suh here. I think he does well for developing players and technique. The players just need to get some peter brothers attitude or something.

Is it all attitude? Does this "D" just need the killer instinct, the "WANT TO" that Bo referred too in his presser? I have faith my brothers but, I do not see the will to play, to win, to finish.

Does anyone actually think Bo isnt going to turn this Defense around? Really? Is there any doubting his abilities. We lost Prince, Hagg, and Gomes. That cant be overstated. Give them time.

It's pretty obvious and has been all season, the problem is the kid who retaliates always seems to be the one who is caught. Apparently in the B1G they won't call holding, but they'll call pass interference if it's even remotely physical along with personal fouls. This is what I'm hearing from the Iowa fans, so it sounds like we need to get used to it.

This irks me more than the holding. The PI call (that started the swing) was a complete and total gift. Hell, the Pro Flag Football League NFL refs wouldn't have even called that.

We obviously got dominated by a better team, but I know the PI you're talking about and it was total BS. I hate when people whine about calls, but that one was just awful, unless my eyes completely deceived me. To say that the corner's hand brushed past the receiver's jersey would be kind.

From sounds of it though, the problem with DL has been effort from some players. Maybe a reshuffling of the personnel (and the scheme change to go with it) would help, too - with our depth at DT and the lack of A Few Good Ends, I've seen the idea of Crick being kicked out to DE a couple times and I like it. Crick out at end - T-Mo and Randle on the interior with the towel-wrecking force known as Rome rotating - Meredith holding down the other end. Steinkuhler, is he another one whose size could get used pretty well at the end?

Does anyone actually think Bo isnt going to turn this Defense around? Really? Is there any doubting his abilities. We lost Prince, Hagg, and Gomes. That cant be overstated. Give them time.

I would guess that next year we'll be better. But he really doesn't have a quick fix for this year. It hasn't been that much of a secret that we're struggling and trying to find kids who will step up. I stated this summer that I was worried about the Dline and was challenged quite heavily when everyone else was claiming they were going to be all world. Yes the back 7 has looked horrible but the reality is half of that has to do with the guys up front. I think one of the coaches finally came out and admitted as much yesterday. Honestly the DB's last year were so damn good it covered up for how bad our front 4 were.

The real difference has been in the coaching styles the past two seasons. The first two years we focus on technique, tackling, effort and doing the little things right. If we took care of those things the rest would fall into place. Then we kicked ass in the Holiday bowl and declared to the world we were back. Since then the attitude of the coaches as been more "smug" and we've tried to make things more about the system and schemes. We need to go back to first base with this defense. Personally Carl has also been given too much responsibility and has struggled with making personnel decisions this year.

DL's not youngsters anymore, and pretty far from it - bu sounds like we still need to get back to the basics. Seems like the coaches need to revisit their approach.

That's true, it's always a bad idea to get away from the fundamentals. This should be a great learning year for Bo and his staff. I doubt he'll completely let the wheels fall off this season.