Are we the only state in America that....

Haspula

Alaska

Maine

Hawaii

Maryland, I think

Rhode Island

Wyoming

This is just a guess based on what I couldn't find. Sometimes it's hard to tell. Some of these states have ____ State College or ____ State University, where _____ isn't the state name. Or say, NY has the SUNY system. Honestly I don't even know what the difference is.

Wisconsin doesn't, I don't think Maryland does either.

You're right, I missed that one. The State University of Wisconsin system merged with the Universty of Wisconsin system, whatever that means!

haha, who knows...way before any of our times. This goes into a question I've always had about university systems. What states have them? I know for sure that WI, SC, MN, NC, TN and TX have them but it doesn't seem like Kansas (where I am now) does. I don't count the kinds of systems that GA and FL have.

The University of Nebraska at Kearney back in the day used to be "Nebraska State" back before it was "Kearney State" ...... I think

Here is another question. If we had a "Nebraska State" that played Division 1 football, would it hurt Nebraska and divide the state? Would a Nebraska State be able to survive because of the Nebraska having all the fans?

There is a South Carolina State University (HBCU)...but last I heard they were having trouble with keeping their accreditation.

Yep, Benedict as well. They toyed with determining grades based on effort and improvement rather than performance, that and their graduation rates are awful.

It seems like in the South many "state" schools are or started out as HBCU's...AL, VA, WV, SC, KY

I know both Missouri State and the Minnesota State system are relatively new. Missouri State grew out of Southwest Missouri State University (SMSU), and Minnesota State's two campus that I know of, Mankato and Moorhead, used to be Mankato State and Moorhead State. I think Nebraska grew out of a desire to have it under one system for the University of Nebraska, but I'm not sure. I'm sure the state colleges could transform into a Nebraska State system if they wanted, but all three schools seem happy with their identity. I know Peru State, where I got my bachelor's, always seemed comfortable with it's role/identity just as it is.