Our offense, and our Defense

EZ-E

I guess I must be missing something because I'm not seeing this great offense that others seem to be seeing. What I'm seeing is a lot more of the same as last year. The playmakers are there, but poor OL is definitely holding this offense back. Fresno State who's D ranks in the triple digits didn't have much problem with our stellar offense for nealy three quarters.

We don't score anywhere near 34 on tOSU with last year's offense. With last year's offense we are no better than 2-4 with losses to that Fresno team, Washington, tOSU, and Wiscy.

I will give it to you that you should never ever have true freshmen or even redshirt freshman starting on your OL, but they have done very, very well compared to what my expectations were in the middle of the summer.

Last year, we put up 31 on Mizzou and completely dominated them. Their total D ranking at the end of the year was #6. This year, we put up 17 against Wisconsin who's D comes in at #4 and we were completely dominated. We put up 48 on KState last year. Their total D ranking at the end of the year was much better than Fresno's triple digit D ranking this year. We put up 51 on Okie State last year that also had a better D than Fresno or Washingon this year. We were very streaky last year, and I'd say we're probably going to be the same this year.

Ohio State really hasn't played anyone. They lost to Miami who has the #53 ranked offense giving up 24 points. They lost to Michigan State only giving up 10 points, but Michigan State's offense is not good coming in at #62. They gave up 17 points to the #93 ranked CU offense. I'd say the jury is definitely out on Ohio State's D. Let's see where their #17 ranked D lands after they play Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

I want to believe in our OL. I really do. However, those were some pretty glaring stats halfway through the third quarter against Ohio State running the football. We have some great playmakers on offense. I get disgusted watching our skill players hit time and time again behind the line of scrimmage because an OL missed his block. I will give the OL credit. The one who gets blown up and misses the block is usually the first one there to help up Burkhead, Martinez, etc. after they get tackled for a loss.

I don't know where you get the losses to Fresno, Washington, OSU, and Wisconsin come from. We dominated Washington last year in Washington. Their D this year is just as poor as last year. Fresno's D is about as bad as you can get. There's only seven D's worse than Fresno State and our offense struggled a big part of the game against them. Last year's offense put 31 up against Mizzou who had a better D than Ohio State this year. We lose to Wisconsin no matter if we use this year's offense or last year's.

To all who may read this ask yourself:

Trailing at halftime, with last year's offense do we beat Fresno State? With last year's offense do we muster a 21 point comeback? With last year's offense (and last year's offensive coordinator) do we really put up that many points on Washington?

Again, if you read the original post my claim is that Tim Beck calls games seeing the big picture. Every play has a purpose and sets up another later in the game. So teams may be able to contain us for a half of football, but not four quarters.

I think you've changed the topic here. I'm not arguing at all about Tim Beck being better than Watson. My argument stops at the OL. Do I think the OL is better than last year? No, I do not. This offense can be great, but the OL is definitely holding it back. Last year, we had complete games where the OL dominated the line of scrimmage. This year, we had a couple of quarters in games where the OL dominated the line of scrimmage. We definitely have some exciting players on the offensive side of the ball. The WR play is a lot better than last year. Burkhead is solid as a rock, and we have some very talented RB's behind him. Beck is between a rock and a hard place which is why I think the Wisconsin game got so out of hand. Watson always or for he most part had a great defense to fall on. Beck doesn't which is why we have to get into shootouts. Last year, we would have been able to keep the Wisconsin game close. I'm not saying we win it, but it definitely would have been a lot closer than this year. I don't think we have a talent issue at all even on the OL. It's just the mental errors. It seems like almost every play at least one of the OL misses their assignment.

Well, if you're just talking the Oline only you're probably right. Last year's Oline, when by accident used to it's strength was a formidable force. Roy, Rex & Tmart ran for over 3,000 yds last year even with Callawatt's play calling which is a minor miracle.

However, overall our offense is far superior than last year due to.....

1. Beck. No NU fans needs further explaining.

2. Fischer. No NU fan needs further explaining (although it's almost too good to be true watching our wrs actually catch the ball. Really stunning!).

The Oline has started with freshmen & sophs all over the depth chart and while obviously not a big force yet has shown actually real-deal improvement. We've all discusses the WHY 10,000 times so pick you're own favorite reason.

GBR!!

Defense shouldn't be worrisome, as the talent is there, but so far effort and production just are not there. In the 2nd half, we finally saw the effort we have been waiting for all year. That and a QB for OSU that makes Taylor look like Marino as a passer.

My huge worry will not be as much this year, as much as it will be next year that I will get REALLY worried.

Where is the depth at LB? Who is going to step-up and fill the huge void that Lavonte will leave as a player, and as a leader? Definite HUGE need for a JUCO LB who is ready to play day 1 next season.

Where is the depth at DT and DE? At this point, I have only saw Chase Rome step up in his limited time and show signs of being a good future player. It's even more worrisome at DE, where there is literally no depth and a constant revolving door on trying to get someone to step up.

Safety doesn't worry me, as I think we are good there.

CB does worry me to an extent. I can see the talent we have there and the guys we have show flashes. But so far, we haven't seen anyone consistently step-up. SJB's performance was extremely encouraging - but was this a Ciante Evans vs Mizzou type performance, or are we going to get a consistent contribution from him? Ciante looked better playing the slot, I will admit. Andrew Green is just a penalty waiting to happen with what he has shown us so far. Really, really hope we get Charles Jackson and the Seisay kid from JUCO in here to compete next season. They are sorely needed.

I really want to see some of the younger guys step-up and show me something with the chances they are being given. When Crick, Fonzie, and Lavonte are all gone next year, who is gonna be that playmaker to hold down our defense? So far, no one is showing up yet, and it worries me.

I think Santo's and Stoddard will help at the LB next year and I wouldn't be shocked to see Marrow back on that side of the ball in the spring. I would guess they'll also move a guy like Cooper up there to get some extra bodies. Jackson would have started this year at CB if he would have made it. I think it looks good to have him in the spring so that with SJB helps take care of that issue.

If I were a betting man I would guess that our Dline and LB's shed some of this weight we put on this year. Its killed some of our aggressiveness as guys don't seem as explosive and a step slower. If you look at most of our missed tackles with crap technique its because their angles of pursuit are off and I'm guessing its because they can't get there as fast. That quick first step or two in pursuit is gone.

If I were a betting man I would guess that our Dline and LB's shed some of this weight we put on this year. Its killed some of our aggressiveness as guys don't seem as explosive and a step slower. If you look at most of our missed tackles with crap technique its because their angles of pursuit are off and I'm guessing its because they can't get there as fast. That quick first step or two in pursuit is gone.

I guess it makes sense we put on more weight for the B1G, but I think our lighter, faster defense of the last couple years would have done fine. Hopefully we find the sweet spot for size/speed in the weight room this off-season. Guys normally lose weight throughout the season, so maybe that will actually help us in the second half of this season.