Our offense, and our Defense

EZ-E

The most encouraging thing from Beck for me was, he wasn't afraid to junk the stuff our kids struggled to execute against Wiscy for tOSU game. No doubt that stuff is not gone forever, but I believe after playing the Badgers that he a most better idea of what we can do when we are under pressure.

Defensively, I admit I called BS with the whole statement by Carl about overcoaching, but I need to retract that statement. I believe what we saw in the second half of tOSU is our kids finally started just playing the game, and not trying to run the defensive schemes. I think they went onto the field to have fun and trust their instincts and coaching.

I am sold on Tim Beck entirely. What people need to realize is that it seems our offense is built for four quarters of football. Every play we run has a purpose. We play chess on offense. Every play we ran in the first half of tOSU game set up different plays we ran in the second half. For instance, we hadn't seen TMart keep in on the zone read all night until he went 20 yards to score. Our no huddle offense does begin to wear on teams into the 3rd and 4th quarter. Tim Beck is a master chess player which is something we haven't had on offense in awhile.

Defense, I am not as concerned as maybe I should be. But it really seemed in that second half that they stopped thinking and just went out and played football. There comes a time when coaching is done and you have to be where you are needed instinctively. I saw that in the 2nd half.

SJB - I was one that hated the move. He makes a few more plays like that, he'll have me eating my words. He's like a Cromartie (spelling) from the Jets. Big long lanky kid that can get in the passing lanes.

Chase Rome - you made your case in my mind to be playing a lot more football.

Good post EZ. I have to agree with everything you said.

Defense shouldn't be worrisome, as the talent is there, but so far effort and production just are not there. In the 2nd half, we finally saw the effort we have been waiting for all year. That and a QB for OSU that makes Taylor look like Marino as a passer.

My huge worry will not be as much this year, as much as it will be next year that I will get REALLY worried.

Where is the depth at LB? Who is going to step-up and fill the huge void that Lavonte will leave as a player, and as a leader? Definite HUGE need for a JUCO LB who is ready to play day 1 next season.

Where is the depth at DT and DE? At this point, I have only saw Chase Rome step up in his limited time and show signs of being a good future player. It's even more worrisome at DE, where there is literally no depth and a constant revolving door on trying to get someone to step up.

Safety doesn't worry me, as I think we are good there.

CB does worry me to an extent. I can see the talent we have there and the guys we have show flashes. But so far, we haven't seen anyone consistently step-up. SJB's performance was extremely encouraging - but was this a Ciante Evans vs Mizzou type performance, or are we going to get a consistent contribution from him? Ciante looked better playing the slot, I will admit. Andrew Green is just a penalty waiting to happen with what he has shown us so far. Really, really hope we get Charles Jackson and the Seisay kid from JUCO in here to compete next season. They are sorely needed.

I really want to see some of the younger guys step-up and show me something with the chances they are being given. When Crick, Fonzie, and Lavonte are all gone next year, who is gonna be that playmaker to hold down our defense? So far, no one is showing up yet, and it worries me.

Agree with the sentiment. But we've got a whole boring offseason to dwell on that stuff. Enjoy the rest of the season!! It'll be over before we know it.

With the offense playing so well, I'm enjoying this season as something dramatically different than the last couple years. Plus, unlike the offense the last 2 years, I feel like the defense will improve. So I'm just really entertained by this season overall. GBR!!!

I am sold on Tim Beck entirely. What people need to realize is that it seems our offense is built for four quarters of football. Every play we run has a purpose. We play chess on offense. Every play we ran in the first half of tOSU game set up different plays we ran in the second half. For instance, we hadn't seen TMart keep in on the zone read all night until he went 20 yards to score. Our no huddle offense does begin to wear on teams into the 3rd and 4th quarter. Tim Beck is a master chess player which is something we haven't had on offense in awhile.

Defense, I am not as concerned as maybe I should be. But it really seemed in that second half that they stopped thinking and just went out and played football. There comes a time when coaching is done and you have to be where you are needed instinctively. I saw that in the 2nd half.

SJB - I was one that hated the move. He makes a few more plays like that, he'll have me eating my words. He's like a Cromartie (spelling) from the Jets. Big long lanky kid that can get in the passing lanes.

Chase Rome - you made your case in my mind to be playing a lot more football.

I wouldn't call Beck a master chess player just yet - he still has what I believe was a very poorly called game against Wisconsin in his back pocket. But is he learning and improving as a coordinator? Absolutely. The second half against tOSU Saturday was one of the best offensive called games I've seen in awhile.

And I couldn't agree more about Rome. When I watch him play it looks like he has a great motor and a lot of tenacity. He also registered a sack in his limited playing time on Saturday. Kid is going to be a stud some day.

I guess I must be missing something because I'm not seeing this great offense that others seem to be seeing. What I'm seeing is a lot more of the same as last year. The playmakers are there, but poor OL is definitely holding this offense back. Fresno State who's D ranks in the triple digits didn't have much problem with our stellar offense for nealy three quarters.

• Fire 1

I guess I must be missing something because I'm not seeing this great offense that others seem to be seeing. What I'm seeing is a lot more of the same as last year. The playmakers are there, but poor OL is definitely holding this offense back. Fresno State who's D ranks in the triple digits didn't have much problem with our stellar offense for nealy three quarters.

Did you miss us scoring 34 on the #11 scoring defense this last weekend? Sure, there are always things to nitpick, but you'd have to be blind not to see that our offense is playing MUCH better than the last 2 years.

Yes, you are. This is the first time they've played well against a good defense. And the posts in this topic are saying that it's improved, promising, etc.

Ditto x1000 E-EZ. I like the progression of the offense and especially like that he revamped the gameplan to play to Martinez's strengths and minimize his weaknesses. Plus its encouraging to see the O-Line get back on track. Run the ball and keep those man-mountains surging against the D and they will wear 'em down just like OSU did week after week.

SJB will not be a one trick pony. The athletic fluidity with which he made that interception was amazing and can be replicated. He has the size, speed and hands to be an INT machine and give offensive coordinators nightmares.

Going with the theme of the topic title;

Our offense has improved significantly from the past few years and continues to improve week to week and even series to series and is showing signs of possibly being able to achieve greatness.

And our defense..........well my mother taught me, if you don't have anything nice to say........

Yeah, I know, I routinely ignore her advice. Honestly though, there are a few bright spots on the D side here and there but they are still being overshadowed by the numerous opportunities. One thing is for sure, if anyone can fix our defense, I sure am glad we've got Bo and Carl working on it.

It is nice to be able to have hope and optimism. If we were in the same boat with Callahan & Cosgrove.....need I say more.

:blink:

I think it is safe to say that you're missing something. It's not a finished product, but it is definitely an improvement over last year.

Lol!!

Pray tell, where is those defensive juggernauts like Kansas & S. Dakota St that totally stuffed our offense this year?

I just get a chub every time I rewatch the last 3-4 drives of that tOSU game. I don't know if we could have asked for better execution. Especially on the toss plays with Burkhead; hat on a hat football, the only people on the field that had chances to make the play would have been the opposite side DE who is left unblocked on purpose, and the safety. The thing about the safety making the plays that he did make on those tosses were that they always came after about a 12 yard gain.

We don't score anywhere near 34 on tOSU with last year's offense. With last year's offense we are no better than 2-4 with losses to that Fresno team, Washington, tOSU, and Wiscy.

I will give it to you that you should never ever have true freshmen or even redshirt freshman starting on your OL, but they have done very, very well compared to what my expectations were in the middle of the summer.