Our offense, and our Defense

EZ-E

I am sold on Tim Beck entirely. What people need to realize is that it seems our offense is built for four quarters of football. Every play we run has a purpose. We play chess on offense. Every play we ran in the first half of tOSU game set up different plays we ran in the second half. For instance, we hadn't seen TMart keep in on the zone read all night until he went 20 yards to score. Our no huddle offense does begin to wear on teams into the 3rd and 4th quarter. Tim Beck is a master chess player which is something we haven't had on offense in awhile.

Defense, I am not as concerned as maybe I should be. But it really seemed in that second half that they stopped thinking and just went out and played football. There comes a time when coaching is done and you have to be where you are needed instinctively. I saw that in the 2nd half.

SJB - I was one that hated the move. He makes a few more plays like that, he'll have me eating my words. He's like a Cromartie (spelling) from the Jets. Big long lanky kid that can get in the passing lanes.

Chase Rome - you made your case in my mind to be playing a lot more football.

• Fire 4

I am down with this. It's still early on in the Tim Beck Experiment, but I think it's promising, so far. There have been flashes of brilliance. And we don't need absolute brilliance, just competence and tough-mindedness. We get that, and get our defense to just play, and we'll be a handful for any team we play, including a rematch with Wiscy.

• Fire 1

So far Beck has impressed me a lot more than Watson ever did. We put up 34 (and likely 41 without a kneel) against a good defense. tOSU isn't where they used to be on defense, maybe, but when was the last time we put up that many points on at least a decent defense? We had what... 17 last year against KANSAS? Yes, Martinez was injured, but our offense as a whole looks so much more dynamic. Our receivers are awesome, just inexperienced. We have a good stable of backs that are developing behind Burkhead. Our line seems to be gelling.

Most of all, he seems to understand adjustment, adaptation, and playing to strengths. He hasn't been perfect - see Wisconsin - but you can tell he completely thought up a new gameplan this week. I don't mind mistakes, as long as they are understood and dealt with. A fast-tempo offense that prioritizes running and speed is perfect for our personnel. Can't wait to see how we progress this year and into the next couple. Once the defense solidifies, as it most definitely will under Pelini bros, we'll be scary.

It seems so bizarre that the main concern is the defense.......

It seems even more bizarre that we don't talk about it. We have ten threads about the offense/QB for every thread about the defense. We have articles written about our coach, our RBs, our QB, our offensive scheme from the local press in about the same ratio. Everyone spends half the summer worried about when the defense will get their Blackshirts, and suddenly... nothing.

It's weird.

• Fire 1

It seems even more bizarre that we don't talk about it. We have ten threads about the offense/QB for every thread about the defense. We have articles written about our coach, our RBs, our QB, our offensive scheme from the local press in about the same ratio. Everyone spends half the summer worried about when the defense will get their Blackshirts, and suddenly... nothing.

It's weird.

Well, I was excluding the endless hordes of haters. They are what they are and nothing will change with them. The posters here who know cfb know our defense is overwhelmingly the biggest problem.

I can't quite get past that everyone but him knew Martinez isn't Peyton Manning during the Wisconsin game. I think he did an excellent job for the OSU game, redeemed himself somewhat. But, the jury is still out with me. I think he has a world of potential as OC, though, as long as the offense keeps evolving, not getting stale, not getting predictable, and most of all, getting all the play makers out there as possible.

So far Beck has impressed me a lot more than Watson ever did. We put up 34 (and likely 41 without a kneel) against a good defense. tOSU isn't where they used to be on defense, maybe, but when was the last time we put up that many points on at least a decent defense? We had what... 17 last year against KANSAS? Yes, Martinez was injured, but our offense as a whole looks so much more dynamic. Our receivers are awesome, just inexperienced. We have a good stable of backs that are developing behind Burkhead. Our line seems to be gelling.

Most of all, he seems to understand adjustment, adaptation, and playing to strengths. He hasn't been perfect - see Wisconsin - but you can tell he completely thought up a new gameplan this week. I don't mind mistakes, as long as they are understood and dealt with. A fast-tempo offense that prioritizes running and speed is perfect for our personnel. Can't wait to see how we progress this year and into the next couple. Once the defense solidifies, as it most definitely will under Pelini bros, we'll be scary.

Great post! It's amazing the difference one year can make with new coaches, huh?

The last couple of years our wrs were supremely efficient ball dropping machines. Now it sure looks like the problem is over. The last couple of years our offense was totally hit and miss but always immediately turned away from anything that worked. Now it sure looks like the problem is over.

I with ya about learning and dealing with it. Beck made some horrendous mistakes vs Wisconsin but immediately adapted and corrected by the next game. My Gawd......what a breath of fresh air.

For the Oline Barney gets screwed no matter what happens. They're improving so of course that's all on Garrison. If they didn't improve it would all be on Barney. Just the way it is.

Beck & Fisher were simply terrific hires. Kudos to ya Bo.

GBR!!

speaking of defense, interesting comment on the last telecast (just rewatched the OSU game...) guys being 'over-coached' (secondary.) immediatelyt thought about Jean-Baptiste (or howevertheheck you spell it.) and his new entry into the arena - and success. any thoughts on just 'turning them loose' more? Sydney seems to be a poster-child for this concern/solution.

over-coaching is something that has reared its ugly head before - thinking of 'the dark time' (callahan/cosgrove.)

wonder if anyone else noticed this...

I like Beck better than I liked Watson, hands down. What I still am waiting to see is an offensive line that can do a better job in the first half. They are conditioned, as I do believe that they are wearing down the defenses that we have seen so far, for the most part. But there are no holes like you should expect, especially in the first half. People are getting into our backfield and raising mayhem, making Martinez play playground, and as a result do stupid stuff. No matter how good anyone thinks Martinez is, he cannot be a one man team, and bad mechanics, and the lack of pass protection will not add up to any good results. Burkhead is a stud, and he proves that by getting some results when there are no holes. I would love to see him behind an o-line that actually could open those holes from the start of the game.

Other offenses around the country that are successful are NOT waiting until the 2d half to do the job. They come out, and set the tone of the game from the start. We are not going to have a comeback every week in the 2nd half as we did this past week.

As far as the defense goes, I am not overly impressed thus far. Nebraska is known for their defenses, and Bo is supposed to be some kind of guru when it comes to defense. So that leaves me to question if the talent is there or not. Other than David, who is the superstar on this defense up to this point, I am disappointed. I thought Crick might be doing more than he has, but I also know that he is getting a lot of attention from other teams.

I hate to say it, but if you look at our history, what I am expecting next week against Minnesota is a win, but it won't be by the margin it should be. Seems like we also play down to the competition a lot of the time, and I think that is something that needs to be addressed also. There needs to be a killer instinct, which is not there. Hope they prove me wrong...but I don't expect them to.

Defense shouldn't be worrisome, as the talent is there, but so far effort and production just are not there. In the 2nd half, we finally saw the effort we have been waiting for all year. That and a QB for OSU that makes Taylor look like Marino as a passer.

My huge worry will not be as much this year, as much as it will be next year that I will get REALLY worried.

Where is the depth at LB? Who is going to step-up and fill the huge void that Lavonte will leave as a player, and as a leader? Definite HUGE need for a JUCO LB who is ready to play day 1 next season.

Where is the depth at DT and DE? At this point, I have only saw Chase Rome step up in his limited time and show signs of being a good future player. It's even more worrisome at DE, where there is literally no depth and a constant revolving door on trying to get someone to step up.

Safety doesn't worry me, as I think we are good there.

CB does worry me to an extent. I can see the talent we have there and the guys we have show flashes. But so far, we haven't seen anyone consistently step-up. SJB's performance was extremely encouraging - but was this a Ciante Evans vs Mizzou type performance, or are we going to get a consistent contribution from him? Ciante looked better playing the slot, I will admit. Andrew Green is just a penalty waiting to happen with what he has shown us so far. Really, really hope we get Charles Jackson and the Seisay kid from JUCO in here to compete next season. They are sorely needed.

I really want to see some of the younger guys step-up and show me something with the chances they are being given. When Crick, Fonzie, and Lavonte are all gone next year, who is gonna be that playmaker to hold down our defense? So far, no one is showing up yet, and it worries me.

It's weird.

I just made a comment about how great the offense looks under Beck. What a coincidence that the offense is coming up and the defense is taking a step back when the last few years has been exactly the opposite. I think the reason people are not panicking is because they trust the fact that the defense has been so successful for the last few years with Pelini at the helm. Everybody has grown so tired off watching the offense that we are all out of excuses for it. Even though this is Beck's first year, which I understand, I think most have just seen the offense cost us too many games. They are on a far shorter leash than the defensive unit right now. I mean, really, the defense has earned our respect over the last few years have they not?

Defense shouldn't be worrisome, as the talent is there, but so far effort and production just are not there. In the 2nd half, we finally saw the effort we have been waiting for all year.

I think a lot of the turn around for the defense in the 2d half can be attributted to OSU losing their starting QB and not having a viable backup. I also wonder if we weren't actually better conditioned the OSU and wore them down on both sides of the line in the 2d half? Other than David, I really haven't seen any dominate players. That is not to say that Crick isn't doing the job by tying up 2 players (which should surely free someone else up on our side supposedly - where are they?), but Crick is no Suh.