Osborne Praises Fans for their Role in Greatest Comeback

jsneb83

I used to think that people that bitched about where the students sat were crazy but the more I think about it I think the students should be closer.

When I was a student there it seemed like we were pretty close and that was just in the mid 90's. Now I know people will be like "The big donors blah blah blah" and that is true but it just seems like they could do something more for the students.

I'm not against the students being closer, but don't act like T.O. doesn't care about them or the University, and that the school owes the students this and that. They owe them some things, but it can't be everything and anything. I think the students lose the point of college. It's about growing up, becoming independent, and getting and education. The rest is just extras and may be wanted but not sure should be expected.

I dont think that they owe them anything college is about the students and for students college is about the classes and the fun.

I pay thousands of dollars to go to school here and they shove us in the shadows. All my friends from out of state can't believe that a top notch football program puts its most important fans in the back. We need to fix this.

So? I paid thousands of dollars to go to UNL, too. After that I've paid thousands of more dollars for those seats. And thousands more for the tickets. If we're going to put people in seats based on how much they've given the university, students are going to lose most every time.

If the administration doesn't give the students better seats, then the donors need to start making more noise. Memoral Stadium is pathetically quiet compared to most college stadiums.

Yup, pretty sad that the AD has to send out a notice of "good job" for making noise. I understand TO is in a rough situation, but you gotta pick your poison.

I pay thousands of dollars to go to school here and they shove us in the shadows. All my friends from out of state can't believe that a top notch football program puts its most important fans in the back. We need to fix this.

So? I paid thousands of dollars to go to UNL, too. After that I've paid thousands of more dollars for those seats. And thousands more for the tickets. If we're going to put people in seats based on how much they've given the university, students are going to lose most every time.

this isn't the nfl. it's the students team, the team is representing the school. i know we like to think they represent the state, and they do, but first and foremost they represent the school and the students.

also, as far as much as you paid, then at that time you deserved the rights and privileges of the students, now it's their turn. why are you arguing to take it away from them? especially when tuition is so high anymore, i don't know when you went to school, but i doubt you even paid half what students pay today.

this isn't the nfl. it's the students team, the team is representing the school. i know we like to think they represent the state, and they do, but first and foremost they represent the school and the students.

also, as far as much as you paid, then at that time you deserved the rights and privileges of the students, now it's their turn. why are you arguing to take it away from them? especially when tuition is so high anymore, i don't know when you went to school, but i doubt you even paid half what students pay today.

It's not ONLY the student's team. It's everyone's team. Tell me when you're ten years out of school that you'll suddenly care less about the team? Or that they won't represent you like they do today. Or that the Huskers don't represent this whole state, even the vast majority of folks who live here but never attended UNL. Maybe unique amongst college football teams (with the possible exception of Ntre Ame), Nebraska represents this whole state. It's bigger than just the enrollment at UNL. If it wasn't, they'd be Kansas.

Now, having said that, read above in this thread where I said that I think the students should be moved back to where they sat when I went to UNL, which was in the east stadium north of the band. So I am on your side in that argument.

I'm just skewering the notion that the students are owed more because they're students today. Today's students haven't done as much for this university as yesterday's students. It's a simple matter of economics. I've given more to UNL than any student today, so if we're using the argument that students "pay thousands of dollars" then I've paid more thousands, and that argument is invalid. That's all I'm saying there.

I see where you are both coming from but think of it this way... Because you were a student at UNL 10 years ago, does that give you permission to go and use their rec center for life?

There are certain things that are afforded to current students and only current students. Although I am not sure what specifically we are arguing about here. Knap already said he wants them to move to a better spot, and hasn't given me anything to argue about. Come on man, this day is crawlin by, throw me a bone here.

It's not ONLY the student's team. It's everyone's team. Tell me when you're ten years out of school that you'll suddenly care less about the team? Or that they won't represent you like they do today. Or that the Huskers don't represent this whole state, even the vast majority of folks who live here but never attended UNL. Maybe unique amongst college football teams (with the possible exception of Ntre Ame), Nebraska represents this whole state. It's bigger than just the enrollment at UNL. If it wasn't, they'd be Kansas.

Now, having said that, read above in this thread where I said that I think the students should be moved back to where they sat when I went to UNL, which was in the east stadium north of the band. So I am on your side in that argument.

I'm just skewering the notion that the students are owed more because they're students today. Today's students haven't done as much for this university as yesterday's students. It's a simple matter of economics. I've given more to UNL than any student today, so if we're using the argument that students "pay thousands of dollars" then I've paid more thousands, and that argument is invalid. That's all I'm saying there.

Economics is one way to look at it, but atmosphere is another. The college atmosphere is supposed to be about today's students. Imagine Duke basketball without the Cameron Crazies, or Wisconsin's football atmosphere without their student section. I don't think that students are entitled to anything, but it's about having the student section be as significant to the atmosphere as the marching band. That's what a college atmosphere is like at its best.

Again, it's important to note that I support moving the students back where they were when I was dodging sabre-toothed cats to get to my seats. I'm just responding to the argument that tuition or economics should play a role in the decision. They already do - that's why boosters sit where I used to sit.

Hercules I totally agree with the comparisons to the Cameron Crazies, et al. Imagine this - we build skyboxes on the east stadium, sit the students back where they were when Osborne coached, and have the noise they make reverberate back and forth from the skyboxes on each side. That would make a heck of a lot of atmosphere.

never said it was only the students' team, i said it was theirs first and foremost. and by your argument, each year there are more and more knapplc's that deserve more and more than the students because of 'simple' economics. you are paying for a privilege to go to the game, they are paying for the privilege of a college experience. they are owed that, you are owed nothing. someone earlier mentioned that students deserve a good education, 'nothing more, nothing less'. his argument was that was all he expected, so they should not expect anything more. a good education cost a buck twenty-five in late fees at your local library. the thousands of dollars is for the college experience, all of it. games, plays, recitals, dorms, commons, the union, all of it. you pay for your right to go to games and the rights afforded on those tickets. this is not an invalid argument.

what your argument is is that every preceding class is owed more than the current class. that is asinine. your argument is to take away from current students what you believe you are entitled to from your past year. this is wrong. they deserve their college experience and a fair chance to watch the team as much as anyone else. you are arguing to take that away from them? i hope your children do not go to unl, because by then there will be so many graduates that anyone else will be excluded and you might change your tune. here is a good quote about environmentalism, and i think it relates, "we do not inherit the land from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." well, you are not bestowed any rights from what you have given, you are borrowing them from the current class.

i do not think anyone is arguing for anything radical, either. students just deserve better, cheaper, and more seats. i think that is fair.

but i have said my piece.

Again, it's important to note that I support moving the students back where they were when I was dodging sabre-toothed cats to get to my seats. I'm just responding to the argument that tuition or economics should play a role in the decision. They already do - that's why boosters sit where I used to sit.

Hercules I totally agree with the comparisons to the Cameron Crazies, et al. Imagine this - we build skyboxes on the east stadium, sit the students back where they were when Osborne coached, and have the noise they make reverberate back and forth from the skyboxes on each side. That would make a heck of a lot of atmosphere.

I agree. The new stadium renovations should help keep the noise in more anyways, but moving the students like you're saying would make it that much more loud.