What city is this?

What city is this? It is one of the coolest and most interesting cities in the world. It's fairly well known; it's name is a verb.

Still, I would not have recognized it from the pictures below. Before I googled it, that is. ---I think I need to get out and see more of the world.

intro_shanghai.jpg

10780_1_shanghai%20t10big.jpg

165705.jpg

It's a neat city, but it's built on the poverty of the people. Estimates range between 2.8% and 15.8% on the percentage of people living below the poverty level in China. And it's important to note that, because China isn't a "fully developed country," their standards for poverty are vastly lower than ours. For many estimates, "absolute poverty" in China is defined as someone living on 85$ (US) per year, or less.

Shanghai will always be a beautiful city because it's the capitol, so they'll throw tons of money at it to keep it impressive. But there's a cost to that.

It's a neat city, but it's built on the poverty of the people. Estimates range between 2.8% and 15.8% on the percentage of people living below the poverty level in China. And it's important to note that, because China isn't a "fully developed country," their standards for poverty are vastly lower than ours. For many estimates, "absolute poverty" in China is defined as someone living on 85$ (US) per year, or less.

Shanghai will always be a beautiful city because it's the capitol, so they'll throw tons of money at it to keep it impressive. But there's a cost to that.

True. But since nearly every factory that closes in the U.S. opens up in China they won't be poor for long. China made incredible strides in the past quarter of a century.

True. But since nearly every factory that closes in the U.S. opens up in China they won't be poor for long. China made incredible strides in the past quarter of a century.

They have. And to be fair the label "poverty" is really different there than here. But it's interesting to note.

Still, those are some awesome buildings.

Don't they open there because they can pay their employees slave wages?

What city is this? It is one of the coolest and most interesting cities in the world. It's fairly well known; it's name is a verb.

Still, I would not have recognized it from the pictures below. Before I googled it, that is. ---I think I need to get out and see more of the world.

intro_shanghai.jpg

10780_1_shanghai%20t10big.jpg

165705.jpg

Dubai.

Shanghai China?

Yeah. Pretty cool looking place, huh? That first pic I posted above looks like a city on another planet.

I've been there before, awesome city, and really sweet looking buildings. As knapplc mentioned the rich/poor divide is pretty significant, in that country in general. The key-shaped building with the "handle" in it is my favorite. But it's not the capital, Beijing is the capital.

Also: is Shanghai a verb? What does it mean?