South Carolina #111

Kentucky #124

LSU #128

Arkansas #132

Ole Miss #143

Miss State #157

Average Rank: #96

AAU Members: 3

These rankings are based on US News Rankings. Mizzou is #90 and an AAU University. So, if you're going to attack SEC Academics...you should also attack B12's.

Just something to think about.

I've never thought of Missouri as Southern. Do they even serve sweet tea there?

No, but they did expend precious human capital in defense of slavery, if you pick up what I'm layin' down.

Plus, have you ever been to the Ozarks? It's like a meth-addled Appalachia that someone decided to build a country-western theme park city on. :)

• Fire 1

I wouldn't have been upset to have Missouri in the Big Ten, but clearly this wasn't ever going to happen. Not sure why, but Delany does NOT want them.

Geographically this puts the Big Ten into a bit of a corner. There aren't many connected schools worth adding right now. Perhaps contiguous footprint isn't a big deal anymore, though.

Not really. Been saying for a while now that Kansas is a value add for basketball, and would be a good companion piece to go with Notre Dame when (not if) the Big East collapses or ND gets tired of traveling to Houston and DFW for Olympic sports. Plus, Kansas would draw KC, and they have a national presence with their basketball program, not unlike ND or DoNU have with their football programs. And selfishly, it *would* be nice for DoNU to have their migration game back in Lawrence.

Plus, Kansas' chancellor has publicly come out and said they're not tethered to K-State--they can do as they please. Why make that move unless you're willing to take an invite to a conference that doesn't want your (suddenly-competent in football) brother?

And we know that Delaney is willing to sit at 12 until ND becomes available--he's said as much recently, though he hasn't called out ND specifically. Rutgers and Syracuse don't draw NYC--Notre Dame does. Hell, ND has their coach's show and university showcase on SNY--Rutgers and Syracuse don't even get that luxury on SNY, or any other NYC channel.

The only other program I could see even possibly getting an invite with an available ND would be Maryland, and only for their media market presence in D.C. and Baltimore. But I would think a nationally-watched basketball power like Kansas would do more for expansion of the BTN, especially during basketball season, than a Maryland would.

I wouldn't have been upset to have Missouri in the Big Ten, but clearly this wasn't ever going to happen. Not sure why, but Delany does NOT want them.

Geographically this puts the Big Ten into a bit of a corner. There aren't many connected schools worth adding right now. Perhaps contiguous footprint isn't a big deal anymore, though.

Not really. Been saying for a while now that Kansas is a value add for basketball, and would be a good companion piece to go with Notre Dame when (not if) the Big East collapses or ND gets tired of traveling to Houston and DFW for Olympic sports. Plus, Kansas would draw KC, and they have a national presence with their basketball program, not unlike ND or DoNU have with their football programs. And selfishly, it *would* be nice for DoNU to have their migration game back in Lawrence.

Plus, Kansas' chancellor has publicly come out and said they're not tethered to K-State--they can do as they please. Why make that move unless you're willing to take an invite to a conference that doesn't want your (suddenly-competent in football) brother?

And we know that Delaney is willing to sit at 12 until ND becomes available--he's said as much recently, though he hasn't called out ND specifically. Rutgers and Syracuse don't draw NYC--Notre Dame does. Hell, ND has their coach's show and university showcase on SNY--Rutgers and Syracuse don't even get that luxury on SNY, or any other NYC channel.

The only other program I could see even possibly getting an invite with an available ND would be Maryland, and only for their media market presence in D.C. and Baltimore. But I would think a nationally-watched basketball power like Kansas would do more for expansion of the BTN, especially during basketball season, than a Maryland would.

Basketball isn't even a blip on the conference expansion radar, that's the problem. If it was schools like Duke and North Carolina would be getting some major courting from the "winning" conferences. Heck, the UConn diss from the ACC should dispel any notion that basketball plays any role whatsoever in expansion.

• Fire 1

No, but they did expend precious human capital in defense of slavery, if you pick up what I'm layin' down.

Plus, have you ever been to the Ozarks? It's like a meth-addled Appalachia that someone decided to build a country-western theme park city on. :)

yet Branson and the Ozarks are visited often by NE residents. NE is always at or near the top of tourism visitors to that corner or my lovely home state. Nebraskans must crave something down there in SW missouri.... chuckleshuffle

I dunno, I've driven a lot between KC and STL, both cities and the bit in between definitely seem midwestern but that's just a passing impression.

Doesn't seem like many SEC fans are passionately in favor of the move but there's not much room to complain on the "southern" issue since they have Florida

yet Branson and the Ozarks are visited often by NE residents. NE is always at or near the top of tourism visitors to that corner or my lovely home state. Nebraskans must crave something down there in SW missouri.... chuckleshuffle

Probably adulation for having a full set of teeth that aren't rotting out of their skull? ;)

Basketball isn't even a blip on the conference expansion radar, that's the problem. If it was schools like Duke and North Carolina would be getting some major courting from the "winning" conferences. Heck, the UConn diss from the ACC should dispel any notion that basketball plays any role whatsoever in expansion.

True, but the number of football-competent schools available for expansion purposes is close to nil already. Now remove all of the schools that are a national presence or carry a major (Top 100) media market, and you have about five viable candidates.

At some point, if expansion were to continue (and it will for the Big 10 if/when Notre Dame becomes available and amenable) other revenue-generating sports (read: basketball) will start to take center stage. And there's significant gold in those basketball hills, if someone had the foresight to mine it--especially if you're majority owner of a conference network that needs a boost to basketball inventory.

The other way to look at it is this--what school, if any, could you pair with Notre Dame into the Big 10 and have it make a significant splash? And believe me, Delaney is going to be smart enough to avoid the problems that an uneven conference roster will bring (see the SEC's efforts and the crux of this thread).

Other than Maryland, there aren't any schools other than Kansas that have a national presence in a sport, carry part of a major media market, and could add value to a conference. West Virginia or Louisville? Not really on either count. Syracuse or Rutgers? If either were a net positive addition, they would have already been picked up, and neither school carries NYC like ND does.

At some point, these commissioners, in the interest of revenue-positive expansion, will *have* to look to basketball for schools where it's a revenue generating sport, and the best of those that will be readily available (and willing) will be Kansas.

True, but the number of football-competent schools available for expansion purposes is close to nil already. Now remove all of the schools that are a national presence or carry a major (Top 100) media market, and you have about five viable candidates.

At some point, if expansion were to continue (and it will for the Big 10 if/when Notre Dame becomes available and amenable) other revenue-generating sports (read: basketball) will start to take center stage. And there's significant gold in those basketball hills, if someone had the foresight to mine it--especially if you're majority owner of a conference network that needs a boost to basketball inventory.

The other way to look at it is this--what school, if any, could you pair with Notre Dame into the Big 10 and have it make a significant splash? And believe me, Delaney is going to be smart enough to avoid the problems that an uneven conference roster will bring (see the SEC's efforts and the crux of this thread).

Other than Maryland, there aren't any schools other than Kansas that have a national presence in a sport, carry part of a major media market, and could add value to a conference. West Virginia or Louisville? Not really on either count. Syracuse or Rutgers? If either were a net positive addition, they would have already been picked up, and neither school carries NYC like ND does.

At some point, these commissioners, in the interest of revenue-positive expansion, will *have* to look to basketball for schools where it's a revenue generating sport, and the best of those that will be readily available (and willing) will be Kansas.

I agree, with mizzou gone the only candidates worth chasing are KU and ND. SYR, Rutgers and the like are unattractive and unlikely

My question is this, With it looking like MU will be off the board, What if the rumors of ND to either the ACC or BIG12 come true and the BIG10 misses on what would have been two nice targets? Do they go out of region and try to get some random team? It seems to me that if MU and ND are gone then you have to settle. How does that impact the feelings on Deleny if the big10 gets left with scraps instead of getting first pick?

My question is this, With it looking like MU will be off the board, What if the rumors of ND to either the ACC or BIG12 come true and the BIG10 misses on what would have been two nice targets? Do they go out of region and try to get some random team? It seems to me that if MU and ND are gone then you have to settle. How does that impact the feelings on Deleny if the big10 gets left with scraps instead of getting first pick?

If ND is off the table, Delaney will stay at 12, and that's that.

Remember, this is a conference that, for the longest time, operated with 11 teams and wanted nothing to do with a conference title game until 2010. I don't think it will break Delaney or the Big 10 to stay at 12 for a decade or so, and considering you have three of the top five programs of all time in your conference, the Big 10 isn't in any danger of losing any credibility or becoming another Big XII or Big East.

And Badgerfan, one thing I forgot to point out (that Fro Daddy doesn't like to be reminded of) is that Kansas actually has been to a BCS bowl, whereas Missouri has not. While Kansas isn't known for football prowess, they did prove that given time and coaching talent, they can field a successful team.

Perhaps having a Big 10 Network and Big 10 money can help Kansas obtain football competency, while the basketball program more than adequately masks any athletic shortcomings that Kansas may posess? It would, at a minimum, make the Big 10 *the* basketball conference of the NCAA, which would certainly make Delaney very happy.

I think Kansas is hampered by the other regional schools. MU, NU, Iowa and Colorado steal too many of the recruits in this area. It's really an issue of supply and demand. The demand by the other institutions for quality football players is already more than the supply and Kansas is left with scraps. Moving to the B1G will not necessarily chase any of the small number already here to them.

There are SOOOOO many things that are absolutely wrong with what happened in 2007 with KU. I could spend thousands of words telling what a sham this was and how it ties into the bowl system and the sham that it is, here are just some quick basics.

#1 KU played a schedule that had an opponent W/L record of 74/76 (.493). Keep in mind this is adding in MU and VT which had a 23/5 combined record and that KU went 1/1 in those games. Meaning until MU and VT are added KU had played a 51/71 opponent schedule. (.418)

#2 Until KU played their bowl game they had beat one team all year that had a winning record. (Central Mich. 8-6)

#3 They finished second in the north and 3rd in the big12. Losing to Missouri and avoided playing the top 3 in the south, Oklahoma, Texas & TT

#4 FBI! You may remember a little ticket scandal recently that involved the KU AD's office and resulted in a number of people from the office being sent to federal pens. Oh and by the way they found nearly 9,000 unused boxed Orange bowl tickets during that investigation....

#5 which clearly gives credit to the number of people who spoke of an under the table deal from KU buy upfront all of KU's share of OB tickets plus any remaining unsold tickets if the OB picked KU

#6 Everyone in the freaking world of CFB knows that MU got shafted. MU won the division, won the head to head, was higher ranked in the coaches’ poll, AP poll and the BSC rankings.

#7 BCS games are great but mean very little. MU in the big east...how many bcs games by now..2..3... Does playing in a BSC game really mean that much? Look at the Missouri program, compare that to the kansas program, Hawaii program, Syracuse or Illinois ( who Mizzou also beat that year). And that’s not even going into the fact that the OB commish didn’t know that KU had lost to MU and finished behind them in the division when trying to explain their pick.

And finally addressing your big10 money could help KU, thats a sham also. The BSC game didnt help KU, no extra money will help KU. Only a miracle from God himself would bring that program to a level of consistent success. And by success i mean a bowl game. they have only been to 2 in a row once in their history and they barely did that with a 6 win regular season following that 'awesome 2007' team. And I seriously doubt a higher power will intervene to help a hapless football program; this isn’t angels in the backfield...

It clearly still annoys me, and everytime someone brings it up as a perceved slight towards MU and a plus to kansas it just looks dumb in my opinion. They just didnt belong there and trying to argue for that point is....well... you get it.

There are 3 kids of suns/sons in kansas; sunshine, sunflowers and sons of b*****s