Academic Scholarships Vs. Athletic Scholarships

So some hose-hound on another site said that Athletic Scholarships should be treated like Academic Scholarship (HTO is the poster)

His argument is that you have to keep a certain GPA to keep your academic scholarship and if not, you lose it. He says that it should be the same for athletic ones.

Now, I agree with cutting a players scholarship if they are failing or being a jerk and getting trouble but how would you quantify it for a sport? That he has to start a game by his second year? That he has to play 100 snaps in two years?

I mean, how would you do it?

Also, I can't stand that poster on that site.

Bah. The athletes have to maintain grades too.

And actually, athletic scholarships are technically renewed on a semester basis. Some guys who 'transfer' actually lose the scholarship. But as long as the kid is working hard and doing as the coaches asked, then its reprehensible to pull it just because he didn't start.

Physical fitness is as important to well being as intelligence. Maybe students on Academic Scholarship should be required to pass a physical fitness test every quarter. To keep them from becoming introverted couch potato study mongers.

Bah. The athletes have to maintain grades too.

And actually, athletic scholarships are technically renewed on a semester basis. Some guys who 'transfer' actually lose the scholarship. But as long as the kid is working hard and doing as the coaches asked, then its reprehensible to pull it just because he didn't start.

I was on an academic scholarship at the university I was previously at before transferring to UNL. I lost my scholarship too. But athletes do have to maintain grades and to pull a scholarship from one because they work hard and don't get the chance to play wouldn't exactly be fair.