Is there a path to the national title . . .

Before yesterday, I had absolutely no thought of us playing for the national championship. Heck, I had serious reservations about us finishing in the top 3 of the Legends Division. I woke up this morning, drank 2 liters of Kool-Aid and began wondering if there is a path to the National Championship. If the team that played yesterday shows up for the rest of the season, we have a shot at beating anybody. Having said that, here is what must happen for us to get up to #2 (please keep in mind that this is a dream, so just go with me on this:

1. Alabama must win out. Their remaining schedule beyond LSU is too weak (Georgia Southern in two weeks. Really?).

2. LSU must lose to Bama and Arkansas. Possible, even if not likely.

3. Stanford must lose to Oregon and Notre Dame.

4. Oklahoma State. Must lose to K-State and Oklahoma.

5. Boise State. Must lose to San Diego State or TCU.

6. Oregon. Must lose to USC.

7. Oklahoma. Must lose to Texas A&M (Remember, no conference title game).

8. Arkansas. Must lose to Tennessee or Georgia.

This path is virtually impossible, but it is a list of the dominoes that must fall into place for us to get to the NC game. Oh yeah, we also have to beat Penn State and Michigan on the road, then win a rematch with Wisconsin. Other than that, I'm thinking national championship, baby!

I don't think it would take all of these losses for NU to make it. Remember that you have to win your conference to be eligible for the National Championship Game (You can thank the 2001 Huskers) . So only one SEC team can go & more then likely there will be one. Which leaves the ACC, Pac 12, Big 10 & Big 12 champions & Boise St fighting over the last spot. If we win out. We just need a 2 loss team to win the Big 12, Pac 12 & ACC & have Boise St lose to TCU. It is still a pipe dream, but weirder things have happened.

I don't think it would take all of these losses for NU to make it. Remember that you have to win your conference to be eligible for the National Championship Game (You can thank the 2001 Huskers) . So only one SEC team can go & more then likely there will be one. Which leaves the ACC, Pac 12, Big 10 & Big 12 champions & Boise St fighting over the last spot. If we win out. We just need a 2 loss team to win the Big 12, Pac 12 & ACC & have Boise St lose to TCU. It is still a pipe dream, but weirder things have happened.

Um, no, I don't remember this, because it isn't true. And btw, Oklahoma also went to the championship game despite not being the Big 12 championship, in 2003.

Um, no, I don't remember this, because it isn't true. And btw, Oklahoma also went to the championship game despite not being the Big 12 championship, in 2003.

And if it were, there wouldn't be all the talk this year about the possibility of an LSU-Alabama rematch for the MNC...