Lauren Cook Arrested

From the LJS article:

Cook's attorney, Terry Dougherty of Lincoln, said Tuesday his client is seeking admittance into the pretrial diversion program. The program is available to first-time offenders charged with certain types of crimes in Lancaster County. The accused person's charges can be dismissed if they complete community service and admit the likelihood of a conviction had the case gone to trial.

I have to imagine the judge wouldn't let her even try if she didn't have a realistic chance of getting into the program. She is exactly the kind of person those programs are designed for.

They keep rewriting the first few paragraphs of the LJS article. It's annoying trying to keep up with it. The latest:

Prosecutor files felony charge against Lauren Cook

Suspended Nebraska volleyball player Lauren Cook was charged Tuesday with leaving the scene of an injury accident, and her attorney said she is seeking pretrial diversion on the felony charge.

Cook read statement in court wishing crash victims well and saying she will learn and grow from her mistakes.

Her attorney said diversion paperwork could be completed by end of week, and University of Nebraska Athletic Director Tom Osborne said Cook will be allowed to play once she is admitted to the diversion program.

I have a bit of a problem with this. If she is able to play as of this weekend, then I disagree with the length of her suspension. This was a big issue. Two games is not enough.

A longer suspension would probably be fair, but I don't know what it would accomplish.

The biggest difficulty I see with this situation is that she's Cook's daughter. Any other player, a two-gamer for felony H&R with a side order of injury, and it would be somewhat troubling. But because she is Cook's daughter, a two-gamer looks like too much leniency or that we're a "win at all costs" program, which we aren't. We are about doing the right thing the right way. Our players are supposed to embody that, and fair or unfair the Coach's daughter should be the epitome of that mantra. When she shows that she isn't, there have to be repercussions.

I don't want to pile on Lauren. I like her very much. But a two-game suspension and a pretrial diversion program don't suffice here, in my very humble opinion.

According to info on volley talk, which I have no idea what the source is, Lauren had completed the necessary paperwork to have her license reinstated in time and is not being charged for driving with a suspended license. Also it sounds like she was genuinely remorseful for her actions after the accident and didn't know what to do.

I guess it still kinda bothers me that she was within about a foot of possibly killing two people, but unfortunately it's a regular occurrence that people don't see motorcycles because they are not paying attention and / or driving at speeds in trap areas (intersections, parking lots, residential areas with parked cars etc.) that make it impossible to react in time.

That being said if you did not have a valid license at the time you should not be able to go back after the fact to file paperwork to make the charge disappear. I know its the way it works just seems wrong to me.

...a two-gamer looks like too much leniency or that we're a "win at all costs" program, which we aren't. We are about doing the right thing the right way.

Something tells me that when John talked with TO about punishment the discussion was more about the minimum than maximum.

With recruiting, academics, and community service by players Nebraska has a very high platform to stand on, but not so much with players and legal infractions.

Wow, she's getting diversion for a felony hit-and-run? She better thank her dad and the athletic department for having her back in a huge way. (Im assuming thats the reason. See: Andy Christensen)... I'm disgusted.

Nobody said she's guaranteed to get Diversion. All the reports say is that she's applying for it.