Where are the Northwestern posters?

Haven't seen one yet. Do they not troll, are they above that? Maybe Badger or WoodHayes can fill us in. I do not remember ever, when we did not have one poster from an opposing team.

They're probably too busy sipping tea and enjoying a three day old issue of the Chicago Tribune in a fine library of mahogany.

No but seriously, they don't do much, they're just kind of there. I don't expect to see one visit.

• Fire 1

Haven't seen one yet. Do they not troll, are they above that? Maybe Badger or WoodHayes can fill us in. I do not remember ever, when we did not have one poster from an opposing team.

They're probably too busy sipping tea and enjoying a three day old issue of the Chicago Tribune in a fine library of mahogany.

No but seriously, they don't do much, they're just kind of there. I don't expect to see one visit.

Well they are no fun. But then again if my favorite team looked like KState I wouldn't want to go outside and talk to others either.

I visited their board earlier and found it strange that one of the biggest viewed was a thread linked to an article from USAtoday about how mega conferences would break down and the belief, from their posters that this is a possibility.

scarletNcream - as BadgerFan, Badger_HB and others will probably agree, Northwestern students view themselves a bit differently than most the rest of us. Case at point.....my nephew graduated this spring from Northwestern (Summa Cum-laude, Medill School of Journalism) and I asked him at his graduation ceremony party what is Northwestern really noted for academically??? Medicine, natural sciences, etc. ??? He looked at me for a few moments and said emphatically "Uncle, Northwestern is excellent at EVERYTHING !!!"...... Hmmmmmmmm..... OKayyyyyyyyyyyyyy....... I thought to myself......... Kinda like the mentality at ND as you can imagine.

Coach 'Fitz' has improved the FB program by leaps and bounds as you can imagine, but sports is generally not front and center in the minds of a Northwestern student.

Go kinda easy on the 'Cats', their D hasn't shown up too much this year... They're more interested in the probabilities of NCAA Football Mega-conference reallignment outcomes...

Go kinda easy on the 'Cats', their D hasn't shown up too much this year... They're more interested in the probabilities of NCAA Football Mega-conference reallignment outcomes...

Ugh. Their website and fanbase has spewed more derp and ignorance about realignment than OrangeBloods.com. The only thing they got right is when they stated Nebraska was on the Big 10's radar.

And the wife and I are looking to traveling to their stadium next fall--wife hasn't been to Chicago, figured it would be easy to get tickets at their stadium--win/win.

Ugh. Their website and fanbase has spewed more derp and ignorance about realignment than OrangeBloods.com. The only thing they got right is when they stated Nebraska was on the Big 10's radar.

And the wife and I are looking to traveling to their stadium next fall--wife hasn't been to Chicago, figured it would be easy to get tickets at their stadium--win/win.

Matthew - you should have an awesome time in ChiTown next year for the game. Make it a short vacation, spend time in Chicago (museums, resturants, lake front, music, etc.) and then travel a few miles North to the Campus... Ryan Field is small, quaint (read 'quite old') and parking is horrible so plan to come early. A walk around the Northwestern campus in the fall is very, very nice...

I will likely be going to the Northwestern game next year. My family is from Chicago, I have a place to stay, and I spent a fair chunk of my childhood in the burbs along the Des Plaines river.

Tickets should be pretty easy to come by, and like G and W said, it's a heck of a nice town to visit.

I visited their board earlier and found it strange that one of the biggest viewed was a thread linked to an article from USAtoday about how mega conferences would break down and the belief, from their posters that this is a possibility.

scarletNcream - as BadgerFan, Badger_HB and others will probably agree, Northwestern students view themselves a bit differently than most the rest of us. Case at point.....my nephew graduated this spring from Northwestern (Summa Cum-laude, Medill School of Journalism) and I asked him at his graduation ceremony party what is Northwestern really noted for academically??? Medicine, natural sciences, etc. ??? He looked at me for a few moments and said emphatically "Uncle, Northwestern is excellent at EVERYTHING !!!"...... Hmmmmmmmm..... OKayyyyyyyyyyyyyy....... I thought to myself......... Kinda like the mentality at ND as you can imagine.

Coach 'Fitz' has improved the FB program by leaps and bounds as you can imagine, but sports is generally not front and center in the minds of a Northwestern student.

I agree, they're not diehards and are definately more interested in academics vs. athletics but I like their program and love seing a guy go back and coach at his alma mater, plus Evanston is nice and Chicago is a great town to visit so overall its a pretty nice school, you guys should enjoy traveling there for games.

Northwestern University only has about 8,000 undergrads. A bunch are from overseas so they don't really have an extensive fanbase. Although they show up for big games.

Also, like other places in the Big Ten, Pro Football is king so I'm guessing they are wrapped up with what the Bears are doing right now.

Matthew - you should have an awesome time in ChiTown next year for the game. Make it a short vacation, spend time in Chicago (museums, resturants, lake front, music, etc.) and then travel a few miles North to the Campus... Ryan Field is small, quaint (read 'quite old') and parking is horrible so plan to come early. A walk around the Northwestern campus in the fall is very, very nice...

Thanks G&W! That was the plan, and as long as winter doesn't come too early, a stroll around Northwestern campus *would* be right up the Mrs. alley. :)

I will likely be going to the Northwestern game next year. My family is from Chicago, I have a place to stay, and I spent a fair chunk of my childhood in the burbs along the Des Plaines river.

Tickets should be pretty easy to come by, and like G and W said, it's a heck of a nice town to visit.

knapp - nice to see you grew up in the 'burbs of Chicago !!!. You know what I'm talking about with respect to the student base @ Northwestern then. For your enjoyment (and a better understanding of Northwestern in general) I thought I'd contact Brian (my nephew) and ask him directly what student life was like and his take on Northwestern sports... Brian was in the unique position from 2008 through 2011 to report daily as a student sports journalist on Northwestern sports (Football, basketball, tennis, etc.), and had direct access to Coach Fitz', and others.... Brian now writes for a major International Financial News firm in New York.

Below is his response:

"

Hi Uncle!

Similar to the academics at Northwestern, being a sports fan is a challenge. Our basketball and football teams have among the longest droughts in the nation when it comes to postseason success. But for me, having been a Cubs fan all my life, and going through some tough years with the Bulls and Bears, I wouldn't have it any other way. Everyone likes an underdog story, and NU is the underdog of underdogs. They might not be the biggest, fastest or strongest, but our players compete with heart, and that's what we sports fans come to love and appreciate. The campus culture does not lend itself to sports as much as other schools, because we're smaller, have a large out-of-state population and have a very demanding academic curriculum. But for people like me, it's a great way to bond with fellow students, even if it's through shared misery over another bowl loss. Northwestern has won the Big Ten before not-too-long ago, and its time will surely come again. In the meantime, my friends and I have paid our dues in the classroom and at internships to position ourselves well for career success, so one day we can afford season tickets to watch the Cats win the Rose Bowl!

See you for the holidays,

Brian "

Hope some of this helps the 'Husker Nation' better understand the Northwestern student mentality ! :)

• Fire 1