Concerns about the offense

TM would then have to go score for score. No way in hell we do that riding the RexTrain. TM would have to complete a few passes on critical 3rd downs. That's what I'm talking about - and hence the premise of the OP

Well, Bo has baffled many a traditional drop back QB.

But regardless, any game in which NU needs to go score for score with T-Mart needing to convert 3rd and longs is a roller coaster.

I need to watch more tape to see why he isn't a running threat anymore. I suspect it has something to do with is inability to run laterally (ie elusively). But need to watch for that.

He's still a running threat. I don't know where people are getting the idea that he's not.

I don't get it either. Vs MSU he burned past the Spartans for 25 or yds like usual but it was called back for a penalty. We just don't call his number as much anymore.

I got no problem with the results.

GBR!!

Do you'll really think NU can keep running it 80-90% of the time and win a BCS bowl?

I really think that we can. Something my pop and I have noticed this season (and it really showed against Wisky, IMO)... When Beck sticks to the game plan which is extremely run heavy, we do great. Look at the first couple of sets against Wisconsin. After watching those, I thought we were going to roll to W that night. But for whatever reason, Beck decided to fall away from the approach of those sets. It was at that time our offense came to a grinding halt (and we all remember how that ended up).

We are a running team. It's what we're good at. If we don't run well, we don't win. Our offense has come around well, and the blackshirts are firing on all cylinders. The Husker team that showed up to play Sparty last week can compete, and potentially win, any game against any opponent we are matched up against.

I would like to see Martinez hit some quick routes and Burkead on the swing a little more often, because it may open up the run a little more. But, as I already stated, if we want to win, we need to run early, run often, and keep running. We do that, and it'll be a very happy New Year for Husker Nation

:bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn::bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn: :bigredn:

I remember a couple other teams in NU history that primarily ran, and everyone said they couldn't win the big ones that way but they proved everyone wrong. Stick with whats working, and keep the QB out of bad situations.

Yep, every media talking head and their brother in the early 90s was saying "NU won't ever take the next step until they become more balanced". Three National Championships & an eyelash away from two "more" NCs shut them up big-time for about a decade. Thank goodness Bo & Beck couldn't care less about the media talking heads or internet forums.

Hey AH, you're a sharp dude I fully respect but maybe you should read your own posts? What does the following mean?

Run the ball.....stop the run......win the game.

GBR!!

Okay, maybe I'm nit picking here but I do have concerns:

Against WI, UW and the cup cakes we mixed in the pass a lot more and had the WR's nicely integrated with the play calling but against MSU the pass was almost a rarity. Now I get that the offense takes what the defense gives but I also see a trend where we are going back to a lot more option, wing-t, pistol, etc. Basically a lot of run formations. Don't get me wrong, I like that but what happens against the good/great defenses? We can't make a living having TMart on the edge pitching the ball and being so lose with it...... or making the wrong read on a ZR option. We have to be able to throw the ball to keep better defenses off balance.

The irony in this whole thing is that we might not see that great defense all year unless we run the table and play someone like Bama/LSU in the Rose Bowl (or whatever BCS bowl we end up in). Even drawing a team like OU or Stanford won't be easy going against being run heavy. In the B1GC, going up against UW or OSU won't be easy just running a majority of the time..... Don't get me wrong - my sig says "Run the ball...." but I'm concerned that bec. we don't pass it as much lately, TM is not getting the live reps and thereby his accuracy and timing is not getting better.

So..... what gives? Do we continue with this run heavy offense or try to be more balanced? More importantly, what's the point in having big time play makers like Turner, Bell, Reed and Enunwa if they hardly touch the ball?

I would like to see more passing also, but Beck has to be very careful when to call those passes. He didn't do that at Wis, and it cost us. Martinez is never going to be the passing q/b we would all like to see, imo. He has gotten a lot better at running the offense. We need to keep running the ball till someone proves they can stuff it, consistently. We are a running team first, even if T-Mart was a 60% passer. Lets hope some of these freshmen running backs can step up and give Rex a break, he took a pounding last game.

I also want to see if the defense has taken that next step, they played the biggest part of the Ohio St come back in that second half, when their q/b went down. They are the reason that OSU defense wore down, with their three and outs. Their play against Mich St, was Black Shirt defense, finally. Bo and Carl should get a game ball, for their scheme work against Mich St.

GBR!!!

3rd & long or in the redzone

I'm with you, there was no real need to throw the ball during the MSU game. Our game plan is to get to 3rd and short, we did that and we kept running. Why would we change what we were doing when it was working? Also this is a 4th quarter team, grinding it out is what we do best, it's the game plan. Just like against OSU last year, if we have to air it out, I'm sure the staff will go for it..

When Beck gets a quarterback in here who can complete more than 50% of his passes, we'll see a new passing dynamic. Taylor is not that guy, at least not this season.

Actually, Taylor's completion percentage is in the mid 50's. At around the middle mark of the season, I saw some stats where he actually has a higher career completion rate than Frazier, Frost, and Crouch.

Maybe you were being sarcastic about the 50% thing, not sure. Like it or not, we're recruiting QB's for their legs first, arm second. You can see that in Carnes and verbal commit Tommy Armstrong.

Hey AH, you're a sharp dude I fully respect but maybe you should read your own posts? What does the following mean?

Run the ball.....stop the run......win the game.

You nailed it. He has a bizarre affinity for the "It's never good enough!" syndrome.

We beat a top 10 team with a top 5 offense. Not good enough.

facepalm.jpeg

Luckily we've played the only team in the B1G with a dynamic, powerful offense AND stout defense (Wisconsin). It wasn't pretty, but it's over now. Our QB's skill set isn't going to allow us to play in shootout. But we're pretty well suited for the rest of the teams. Michigan worries me. If they get a couple big plays and jump out early, we'll have it tough.