#1 CB vs. #1 WR

JTrain

I know this gets brought up a couple times a year, but I think it's worth more discussion. In cases where the opposing team has a clear number one receiver (in terms of talent level) and we have a clear number one corner, we should make adjustments to match them up, IMO.

Yes, I know we play a lot of zone and match zone and each player is accustomed to playing a certain side/area of the field in these schemes, but it would help us a lot to make special adjustments for scenarios like today. It's really frustrating to watch Ebert take a basic route for an 80-yard pitch and catch while arguably our worst cover guy trails hopelessly two yards behind him. Meanwhile, we have the best corner in the conference stuck like glue on some glorified decoy.

Teams will put their best receiving threat in the slot to avoid having the blanketed by Zo. Funny thing is when OSU did it last year with Blackmon, and Wisky did it with Toon, you saw Zo follow him. Ebert was the only threat as strictly a WR and NU fails to let Fonzie take him out of the game. A lot of this probably has to do with the lack of confidence with the staff liking a third CB with JSB hurt(I believe he didn't play today).

Props to NW to getting favorible match ups and recognizing mismatches(ie Ciante Evans on anyone). Andrew Green may have solidified his spot opposite Zo today. JSB needs to be the nickel and line up over the slot. Think of the added bonus of that scenario of a big bodied DB helping out in the run game, which is much needed.

Teams will put their best receiving threat in the slot to avoid having the blanketed by Zo. Funny thing is when OSU did it last year with Blackmon, and Wisky did it with Toon, you saw Zo follow him. Ebert was the only threat as strictly a WR and NU fails to let Fonzie take him out of the game. A lot of this probably has to do with the lack of confidence with the staff liking a third CB with JSB hurt(I believe he didn't play today).

Props to NW to getting favorible match ups and recognizing mismatches(ie Ciante Evans on anyone). Andrew Green may have solidified his spot opposite Zo today. JSB needs to be the nickel and line up over the slot. Think of the added bonus of that scenario of a big bodied DB helping out in the run game, which is much needed.

If we stick with the Peso (and I think we should until we develop LB's) have SJB play there. Big, athletic and can move.

Is it time to scrap the walk-on program? Or at least not have them play an integral part of our defense? Look at this LSU/Bama game. Take a wild guess at how many walk-ons from small town Nebraska are starting on either of their defenses....

I'm sorry, but a walk-on has no chance against the other team's best athletes lined up at the WR position. It's a horrible mismatch.

Our walk-ons wouldn't sniff Bama's scout team.