A little perspective (TO and Bo)

BigBL87

I prepped this for another board, but thought it was worth posting here as well. After my knee-jerk reaction to the game (which I didn't get to watch live unfortunately), I thought a little bit about it and looked at TO's first years.

After Osborne took over (after some very good teams), his record of his first four years (coming off a 9-2-1 team) was 37-10-2 (.755), broken down as such:

9-2-1 (13-12 loss to #12, 27-0 loss to #3, Tie with unranked)

9-3 (21-20 loss to unranked, 21-10 loss to unranked, 28-14 loss to #1)

10-2 (Losses of 35-10 and 17-14, each ranked #7 at the time)

9-3-1 (Tie with unranked, 34-24 loss to unranked, 37-28 loss to unranked, 20-17 loss to #8)

Pelini's record 36-14 (.720) through nearly 4 seasons (coming of a 5-7 team) breaks down as such:

9-4 (35-30 loss to unranked, 52-17 loss to #4, 37-31 overtime loss to #7, and 62-28 loss to #4)

10-4 (16-15 loss to #13, 31-10 loss to unranked, 9-7 loss to unranked, 13-12 loss to #3)

10-4 (20-13 loss to unranked, 9-6 loss to unranked, 23-20 loss to #10, 19-7 loss to unranked)

7-2 (48-17 loss to #7, 25-18 loss to unranked)

If this year's team wins out, loses the CCG and wins their bowl game, record will be 40-15 (.727).

Oh, and through 50 games, Bo and TO both lost to 6 unranked teams. Bo lost to his 7th in his 51st game as head coach. The average ranking of ranked teams that TO lost to was 6.3, Bo it is 6.8

Before I get accused of "sunshine pumping" and defending Bo to the death, I think he has issues and I'm still pissed we lost today. I think Bo has character issues that TO didn't have. I'm just putting the "sky is falling" response of some into perspective. I honestly think if TO had coached in a day with internet message boards, he never would have made it to winning 3 national championships with us. I don't think Bo will ever reach TO status, but some of us have gone from expecting excellence and good teams to being spoiled.

• Fire 1

There's also a lot more parity going on now than when TO was coach.

Highly ranked teams are getting beat by unranked teams every. single. week.

Another very valid point. Those years for TO were back before the scholly limits got like they are today. Like I said, I'm pissed that we lost. This shouldn't have even been a game, much less a loss. This game was a failure by the coaches and players.

What some forget is that Northwestern, while not being an elite, is a pretty solid team. Only one of their losses has been by more than 10 points, they were alot closer than alot of people realize to being bowl eligible already. Again, we SHOULD have won this game, but there is/was a team on the other side of the field that was playing to win it too and they aren't exactly the sisters of the poor.

If we win out (which is a valid possibility), we finish the regular season 10-2.

I prepped this for another board, but thought it was worth posting here as well. After my knee-jerk reaction to the game (which I didn't get to watch live unfortunately), I thought a little bit about it and looked at TO's first years.

After Osborne took over (after some very good teams), his record of his first four years (coming off a 9-2-1 team) was 37-10-2 (.755), broken down as such:

9-3-1 (Tie with unranked, 34-24 loss to unranked, 37-28 loss to unranked, 20-17 loss to #8)

Pelini's record 36-14 (.720) through nearly 4 seasons (coming of a 5-7 team) breaks down as such:

9-4 (35-30 loss to unranked, 52-17 loss to #4, 37-31 overtime loss to #7, and 62-28 loss to #4)

10-4 (16-15 loss to #13, 31-10 loss to unranked, 9-7 loss to unranked, 13-12 loss to #3)

10-4 (20-13 loss to unranked, 9-6 loss to unranked, 23-20 loss to #10, 19-7 loss to unranked)

If this year's team wins out, loses the CCG and wins their bowl game, record will be 40-15 (.727).

Oh, and through 50 games, Bo and TO both lost to 6 unranked teams. Bo lost to his 7th in his 51st game as head coach. The average ranking of ranked teams that TO lost to was 6.3, Bo it is 6.8

Before I get accused of "sunshine pumping" and defending Bo to the death, I think he has issues and I'm still pissed we lost today. I think Bo has character issues that TO didn't have. I'm just putting the "sky is falling" response of some into perspective. I honestly think if TO had coached in a day with internet message boards, he never would have made it to winning 3 national championships with us. I don't think Bo will ever reach TO status, but some of us have gone from expecting excellence and good teams to being spoiled.

Thanks. I appreciate this :)

Thanks. I appreciate this :)

Yes, this is excellent perspective.

Bo won't get 22 years to win a natl title, though. Remember when T.O. lost what, 8 bowl games in a row? Bo will never get that chance. It's a different world now.

Also, Bo is no T.O. Long run of mediocrity awaits us, I'm afraid.

Thanks guys. It just pains me to see the way he is ridiculed. I think criticism is valid and needs to happen, but some of it gets crazy. I've seen people say he acts like he doesn't want to be here... my question is, if you were currently 7-2, have been to a conference championship 2 of your 4 years as a head coach, and had a .722 winning percentage and people were calling for you to be fired, would YOU be all peachy and happy about your job?

Great perspective BigBL, nice post. If you look back to how Bo was to where he is now, he's changed. I think he's calmed down since his rookie year. Thats from experience and age. Does he have more to do? Sure, just like all of us. Some of us forget (and some never knew) how reactionary TO was early in his career. They only remember the stoic, silent TO.

osborne.gif