The Gamut of Penn State Emotion

ladyhawke

In reading what is going on at Penn State from the folks that live there the emotion runs the gamut from:

Students supporting JoePa:

http://www.centredaily.com/2011/11/08/2979110/psu-students-rally-in-support.html

To folks calling for his resignation:

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/joe-paterno-is-done-at-penn-state-fans-should-boycott-nebraska-game.php

To folks calling for him to stay and fight:

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/carpenter/mc-paul-carpenter-paterno-20111108,0,4710614.column

But the most touching thing I read came from a Penn State Message Board. I hope we play on Saturday if only to support these boys and give them a good game:

"On Saturday, I will be in Beaver Stadium, and I will be rooting for Penn State.

I will be rooting for Matt McGloin, a former walk-on ...QB from West Scranton who scratched and clawed his way to the top of the depth chart.

I will be rooting for Silas Redd, one of the hardest working players in the nation.

I will be rooting for Stephon Green, a kid who proves there is always a second chance.

I will be rooting for Joe Suhey, a so-called wasted legacy scholarship who has become a fine player.

I will be rooting for Quinn Barham, Johnnie Troutman, Deontae Pannell, and Chima Okoli, four seniors playing their last home game on the OLine.

I will be rooting for Andrew Sczerba, a player who has overcome a ridiculous amount of adversity in the past year just to be on the field one last time.

I will be rooting for Derek Moye, who risked further injury to play in one miraculous drive for 409.

I will be rooting for Devon Smith, so every undersized football player can see there is a chance for them too.

I will be rooting for Jack Crawford and Eric Latimore, because no matter how many times they got knocked down they kept on fighting.

I will be rooting for Devon Still, because dominance deserves respect.

I will be rooting for Nate Stupar, who showed everyone what the phrase next man up really means.

I will be rooting for Gerald Hodges, because we are Linebacker U.

I will be rooting for D'Anton Lynn, because he saw for a moment how quickly it could all be taken away, but he got back up.

I will be rooting for Chaz Powell, because he has worked hard for 5 years whether on offense, defense, or special teams.

I will be rooting for Drew Astorino and Nick Sukay, because even if the fans don't always love them, they still play hard, leave it all on the field, and represent our university.

I will be rooting for Adrian Amos, because I still have hope for the future.

I will be rooting for Anthony Fera, because sometimes you just have to step up and do it all.

Most importantly, I will be rooting for Penn State. Bad things have happened, and hopefully once all the facts are clear those who are responsible are given the punishment they deserve, but Penn State is still a great university with a great tradition. And most importantly, these kids who will run out of the tunnel have nothing to do with this awful situation. Be upset with Jerry Sandusky, be upset with Tim Curley. If you must, be upset with Graham Spanier or Mike McQueary or even Joe Paterno. But don't turn your back on these 18-23 year old young men who just want to go out and win a game."

That fans are so blind to the reality of the situation that they would cheer for him in this manner.

I'd like to think that it is easy for us to sit back and understand what was going on and pass judgement as such. Certainly there are a lot of PSU supporters calling for Joe Paterno's head. But these guys are students. Being a student myself at UNL...if this happened to us and it was Tom Osborne instead of Joe Paterno, I would have a hard time not supporting him either [as bad as it sounds]

That fans are so blind to the reality of the situation that they would cheer for him in this manner.

I'd like to think that it is easy for us to sit back and understand what was going on and pass judgement as such. Certainly there are a lot of PSU supporters calling for Joe Paterno's head. But these guys are students. Being a student myself at UNL...if this happened to us and it was Tom Osborne instead of Joe Paterno, I would have a hard time not supporting him either [as bad as it sounds]

I understand your point. But thinking of what Paterno allowed to happen, mixed with this reaction literally makes me sick to my stomach.

Thanks for compiling this Ladyhawke, I wanted to read some PSU forums but I haven't had time. Man do I feel bad for this fan base and the kids on that team. This whole situation is just horrid. I don't think I'll be able to stand to watch this week's game...

I have to admit that post on the one board where he listed the names of those kids and what he said at the end just brought tears to my eyes. Those poor kids.

That video gave me chills and Im not even a Penn State fan. Joe Paterno IS college football and given the facts right now, I cant say that he has done anythings wrong. Sure, it's easy to sit on the sidelines and and be the holier than thou crowd, saying how differently you would have handled the situation if you were Paterno. Fact is, Sandusky was a long time friend of Paterno's and none of us know exactly what the McQueary said, nor the manner he presented it. Even so, I will reserve further judgement until all the facts come out. In the mean time, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

No one is a winner in this. So many people failed. Failed the victims, failed their communities, failed the team, Penn State, the players and the fans. This case just proves that you should do the right thing damnit, no matter how much you want the situation to go away or how uncomfortable it is... do the right thing.