Keystone Pipeline

In the wake of the eminent domain filings, Van Housen said he feels like Nebraska lawmakers have thrown him and other landowners “under the rug.”

I don’t even feel like I live in the United States any more,” Van Housen said. "A foreign company coming over and shoving a pipe through my land without my OK? I feel terrible about it."

LJS Article

This is, perhaps, the scariest precedent this pipeline is setting. For the government to approve of this is disgusting.

In the wake of the eminent domain filings, Van Housen said he feels like Nebraska lawmakers have thrown him and other landowners “under the rug.”

I don’t even feel like I live in the United States any more,” Van Housen said. "A foreign company coming over and shoving a pipe through my land without my OK? I feel terrible about it."

LJS Article

This is, perhaps, the scariest precedent this pipeline is setting. For the government to approve of this is disgusting.

In a surprise twist you can blame the liberal justices for private use eminent domain.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2014/03/12/the-devastation-caused-eminent-domain-abuse/yWsy0MNEZ91TM94PYQIh0L/story.html

LJS Article

This is not an endorsement of what happening, just a statement saying this doesn't set any precedent.

Similar happenings were and are commonplace in California for many water projects. The first term used by Gov. Pat Brown was these grabs were neccesary to stop "the mistakes made by nature and population". (Progressive!).

So, the precedent was there, probably why this was able to happen in Nebraska. I can't say I'm for people getting things done to their land or having their land usurped, nor can I say I'm totes in favor or against this pipeline. But I do know this is nothing new.

Sorry, guess I added nothing to this little thread.

Perhaps I wasn't wording that as aptly as I should, so let's not get hung up on the word "precedent." It doesn't matter to me if it's happened before, it was wrong then and it's wrong now.

What foreign company(ies) were allowed to exercise eminent domain on Americans' properties in California?

LJS Article

In a surprise twist you can blame the liberal justices for private use eminent domain.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2014/03/12/the-devastation-caused-eminent-domain-abuse/yWsy0MNEZ91TM94PYQIh0L/story.html

I remember that ruling. Utterly awful. And I don't know why that would be considered a surprise.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2014/02/24/foreign-company-tries-to-seize-u-s-land-for-keystone-pipeline/

But why would anyone not want the Keystone pipeline on their property? I mean TransCanada offered Crawford a whopping $7,000 to help complete its $10,000,000,000 project (OEN). Surely that was fair.

Maybe Crawford declined because there have been over 6,300 pipeline incidents since 2002. 154 people have died, 540 people have been injured and $4.7 billion in property damage has resulted (Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration; Cornell University). The potential economic damage caused by the expected spills from the Keystone pipeline alone could outweigh the benefits of any jobs created by the project.

All I can add it that i'm very disappointed that this is still being considered. There's a reason why a plumber like my Dad can make 6 figures a year with a backhoe and partake in little to no construction whatsoever. I dont care what precautions you take and procedures you follow. When you bury sh#t, it's not permanent. Not ever.

LJS Article

In a surprise twist you can blame the liberal justices for private use eminent domain.http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2014/03/12/the-devastation-caused-eminent-domain-abuse/yWsy0MNEZ91TM94PYQIh0L/story.html

I remember that ruling. Utterly awful. And I don't know why that would be considered a surprise.

The "surprise" part is that it was the liberals and not conservatives who sided with big business.

Perhaps I wasn't wording that as aptly as I should, so let's not get hung up on the word "precedent." It doesn't matter to me if it's happened before, it was wrong then and it's wrong now.

What foreign company(ies) were allowed to exercise eminent domain on Americans' properties in California?

You never read Rising Sun?

You never read Rising Sun?

Explain.