Game ReWatch

macroboy

Seems like a good weekly thread, kind of like "What we learned today"

When I watched the game a second time:

1. I think Eric Martin is coming along. Anyone think he ends up back at LB next year? or some kind of 3-4 LB rush end?

2. I worry aobut our D w/out Fonzo and Lavonte next year.

3. Tmart faking pitches and pitching downfield on the option is pretty effective but it scares me.

4. Do you think Tmart actually reads anything on the spread option? Doesn't look like it to me.

5. Andrew Green is also coming along. I thought the last 2 weeks he looked better than any other games. Ciante at nickel is absolutely butt!

6. Penn States DT's are for real.

7. I'd like to see more of the 3 RB diamond formation and the 4 wr diamond formation. I also like the 2 rb set where Burkhead is the fullback. Where did it go?

8. On the 3rd and Long right before we kicked our FG I think Bell was uncovered and Tmart didn't see it.

9. Tmart's motion is ridiculous but he is such a better passer than early in the season. Sometimes he even makes more than 1 read.

10. Why can't Brandon Kinnie catch? Good to see Khiry Cooper.

11. On our TD right before half, one advantage of Burkhead under center, he pitches and becomes another blocker. Pretty smart.

12. It still makes me smile to see Texas losing to Mizzou on the game tracker at the bottom of the screen.

13. Lavonte's stop on 4th and ballgame (the first one- odd to say) is man's game!!

14. Don't under estimate the TD drive right before half- forced our will on them and ate all the clock.

15. We didn't tackle very good, especially in the 2nd half.

16. after we got up 17 it looked like our O thought the game was over and then couldn't turn it back on.

17. Did we actually lose that fumble or not? I want a replay!!

Sorry this is so long but I typed it as I was watching.

Seems like a good weekly thread, kind of like "What we learned today" When I watched the game a second time: 1. I think Eric Martin is coming along. Anyone think he ends up back at LB next year? or some kind of 3-4 LB rush end? 2. I worry aobut our D w/out Fonzo and Lavonte next year. 3. Tmart faking pitches and pitching downfield on the option is pretty effective but it scares me. 4. Do you think Tmart actually reads anything on the spread option? Doesn't look like it to me. 5. Andrew Green is also coming along. I thought the last 2 weeks he looked better than any other games. Ciante at nickel is absolutely butt! 6. Penn States DT's are for real. 7. I'd like to see more of the 3 RB diamond formation and the 4 wr diamond formation. I also like the 2 rb set where Burkhead is the fullback. Where did it go? 8. On the 3rd and Long right before we kicked our FG I think Bell was uncovered and Tmart didn't see it. 9. Tmart's motion is ridiculous but he is such a better passer than early in the season. Sometimes he even makes more than 1 read. 10. Why can't Brandon Kinnie catch? Good to see Khiry Cooper. 11. On our TD right before half, one advantage of Burkhead under center, he pitches and becomes another blocker. Pretty smart. 12. It still makes me smile to see Texas losing to Mizzou on the game tracker at the bottom of the screen. 13. Lavonte's stop on 4th and ballgame (the first one- odd to say) is man's game!! 14. Don't under estimate the TD drive right before half- forced our will on them and ate all the clock. 15. We didn't tackle very good, especially in the 2nd half. 16. after we got up 17 it looked like our O thought the game was over and then couldn't turn it back on. 17. Did we actually lose that fumble or not? I want a replay!! Sorry this is so long but I typed it as I was watching.

1. Eric Martin is being used as a stand up end most of the time.

2. We will be in trouble unless Compton/Santos and Green fill the roles.

3. The option was effective and pitches weren't that bad, option is risky so get use to it.

4. Ya he does, if you watch.

5. Green has def stepped up, I see him being the next Prince/Fonzie (he is only a soph)

6. They are good, our line helped them look good too though.

7. I like the 3 RB diamond, not sure if I like the 4 WR bunch yet. Against Mich State we ran bubble screen out of it and we are lucky Taylor didn't turn and chuck...he saved a pick 6.

8. He missed a guy, o well. He had a good game.

9. Motion is getting better I think, he has took his passing game to a whole new level.

10. No clue on this one.....Cooper has played fairly well.

11. Looked smart there, looked bad later on. Agree it is a change up, but #71 Still figured it out and shut down everything out of that formation rest of game.

12. I don't like either.

13. Huge stop, think that was our first 4th and short stop of year

14. That was a huge drive.

15. We struggled tackling BIG time!

dont have anything to say about last two...

I liked the call to go for it on 4th down, but I really disliked the playcall. They just stuffed us on the same play on 3rd. We have a mobile QB, i think we should have used more options than just Rex on the short side of the field.

As for the game, I re-watched it today too. Success is contagious. When we have those long, time consuming drives, it's when we're in a rhythm offensively. When a receiver drops a ball, Taylor throws one in the dirt, or when someone commits a penalty, it's tough for us to regroup and continue to move the ball down field. I think a lot of that has to do with the youth on the team.

• Fire 1

oh, and 1 more...

Do you kick the FG or go for it on 4th?

Kick the field goal, even if missed they only gain two yards when Penn State took over. Make the field goal and that would have forced Penn State to score a touchdown.

Disagree. PSU had a better chance of blocking the kick and scoring on special teams than driving the field with no timeouts. And there was still the chance we pick up the 1st down, which would have been ballgame.

oh, and 1 more...

Kick the field goal, even if missed they only gain two yards when Penn State took over. Make the field goal and that would have forced Penn State to score a touchdown.

Disagree. PSU had a better chance of blocking the kick and scoring on special teams than driving the field with no timeouts. And there was still the chance we pick up the 1st down, which would have been ballgame.

h

Agree you don't kick the FG unless you can make it a 2 possession game. I remember the VT game when Bo didn't go for it on 4th and 1, punted it instead at the VT 37 yrd line. We all know how that worked out. Try to end it, don't give the ball to the opponent on purpose.

oh, and 1 more...

Statistically that's a low percentage of happening, that's like saying the Huskers could'a fumbled on their 4th down attempt and Penn State ran it back for a score. IMO when you have an opportunity to score points, score points....

oh, and 1 more...

Statistically that's a low percentage of happening, that's like saying the Huskers could'a fumbled on their 4th down attempt and Penn State ran it back for a score. IMO when you have an opportunity to score points, score points....

It's impossible to prove either way, but IMO the percentage chance of winning is better if NU goes for it. PSU can still score a TD and win even if NU makes the FG. There are a host of possibilities where PSU can tie or win if NU gets a FG blocked (or misses) or doesn't get the 1st down. The game is over if NU gets the 1st down.

oh, and 1 more...

It's impossible to prove either way, but IMO the percentage chance of winning is better if NU goes for it. PSU can still score a TD and win even if NU makes the FG. There are a host of possibilities where PSU can tie or win if NU gets a FG blocked (or misses) or doesn't get the 1st down. The game is over if NU gets the 1st down.

Well we can all agree on the outcome of the game.... :cheers

oh, and 1 more...

I think it was more that it was a fairly long kick and while they have plenty of faith in Mauer and the kid is a stud he's not going to make every single kick.

If we miss that they get the ball right where they did anyways, the odds of picking up 1 yard on a Burkhead run and the odds of Mauer missing OR having something else go wrong aren't THAT far apart. The difference is that if you make the FG the game still isn't over yet, if you get the first down it is.

oh, and 1 more...

I think it was more that it wasn't long kick but it wasn't a chipshot kick either and while they have plenty of faith in Mauer and the kid is a stud he's not going to make every single kick every game.

We weren't in the redzone so if we miss they get the ball right where they did anyways, the odds of picking up 1 yard on a Burkhead run and the odds of Mauer missing OR having something else go wrong aren't THAT far apart. The difference is that if you make the FG the game still isn't over yet, if you get the first down it is.

11. On our TD right before half, one advantage of Burkhead under center, he pitches and becomes another blocker. Pretty smart.

That's where you lost me. Not smart. Not smart at all imo. There is a reason you basically never see RB's under center. I don't believe that we are "smarter than the rest of the room" regarding the history of great offensive minds.