Gary Pinkel arrested for DWI

knapplc

From multiple sources on Twitter, and the AP:

COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) -- Missouri has suspended coach Gary Pinkel for Saturday's game and frozen his salary for a year following his overnight arrest on suspicion of drunk driving.

Athletic director Mike Alden announced the disciplinary measures on Thursday afternoon. They include a total of some $300,000 in penalties, including a donation to a campus alcohol-awareness program, and 50 hours of community service.

He will miss Saturday's home game between Missouri (5-5) and Texas Tech.

Boone County Sheriff's Office records show that deputies pulled Pinkel over in Columbia and jailed him Wednesday night. He was released from jail after posting a $500 bond. A county prosecutor said that no decision had been made about filing formal criminal charges.

Also hearing that Pinkel's salary is frozen for a year, 50 hours of community service and no bowl bonus.

i got to imagine missing senior day will hurt quite a bit. $300,000 in fines? wow, they are not missing around. again, seems harsh to me, but i do not know the whole story. meanwhile, joe-pa is trying to get his half-a-mil a year pension instated.

I would imagine the $300,000 in fines would hurt a lot more. Does that include the his salary also? Wow, this is crazy.

"meanwhile, joe-pa is trying to get his half-a-mil a year pension instated."

I LOL'd at this

COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) -- Missouri has suspended coach Gary Pinkel for Saturday's game and frozen his salary for a year following his overnight arrest on suspicion of drunk driving.

Athletic director Mike Alden announced the disciplinary measures on Thursday afternoon. They include a total of some $300,000 in penalties, including a donation to a campus alcohol-awareness program, and 50 hours of community service.

Boone County Sheriff's Office records show that deputies pulled Pinkel over in Columbia and jailed him Wednesday night. He was released from jail after posting a $500 bond. A county prosecutor said that no decision had been made about filing formal criminal charges.

Also hearing that Pinkel's salary is frozen for a year, 50 hours of community service and no bowl bonus.

i got to imagine missing senior day will hurt quite a bit. $300,000 in fines? wow, they are not missing around. again, seems harsh to me, but i do not know the whole story. meanwhile, joe-pa is trying to get his half-a-mil a year pension instated.

I would imagine the $300,000 in fines would hurt a lot more. Does that include the his salary also? Wow, this is crazy.

I LOL'd at this

$300,000 is a lot, even for a coach making millions. that has to be an unprecedented penalty, for any transgression. i guess good for mizzou holding people accountable for their actions.

I LOL'd at this

$300,000 is a lot, even for a coach making millions. that has to be an unprecedented penalty, for any transgression. i guess good for mizzou holding people accountable for their actions.

I think it was supposed to mirror the number of games athletes missed for similar offenses................

Yep, I agree with all three of your statements. I thought community service would be all he would get. Crazy

Not fines - he will forfeit $100,000 in pay, the rest comes from not getting any bonus for this year and no pay raise for next year. Like Congress saying they cut $10 million off the budget which means they raise it $90 million instead of $100 million they planned.

Previously Pinkel suspended two players for two games this summer for DUI. Radio down says it was only one game because Pinkel wants to hang 70 points on KU because KU won't play MU after they go to SEC

Previously Pinkel suspended two players for two games this summer for DUI. Radio down says it was only one game because Pinkel wants to hang 70 points on KU because KU won't play MU after they go to SEC

I think we could hang 70 on KU just as easily without Pinkel. He didn't even seem drunk in the arrest vid posted on youtube. Mu is graduating 20+ seniors this year and Pinkel won't be on the sidelines with them on Senior day. That and 300K in penalties is more than enough punishment IMO.

So what happens next? I have a bad memory for this sort of thing...what has happened to coaches in the past with this kind of thing?

I remember South Carolina's QB coach getting a PI earlier this year for which he was suspended but reinstated. Will Pinkel stick around or is he done?

Just thinking about this as a non-football issue I wouldn't want to work for someone who's punished others for DUI's and then got one himself...not real fond of working with people with DUI's anyhow. I get that sometimes these things happen and I like to be forgiving but I have very little tolerance for this sh#t. Just a little discipline and planning...it should be easy enough for any adult.