Iowa fan perspective: Friday's game is a bit of a let down

Duffman

I'm sorry to say that the game on Friday is feeling like a big let down. I (along with most of you) thought it would have division title ramifications. In fact coming into the season I would have gladly put money that at least one team in this game would have a shot at the title. Don't get me wrong its still going to be fun to watch given the fact our family has both huskers and hawk fans, but it just doesn't feel as big as I imagined it would. To be honest, it just kind of feels like another game. It's a shame neither team is really bringing anything extra to the table this year. Both are playing for the difference in respectable bowl versus toilet bowl.

BTW I did find it interesting how similar our boards are. We've each got the required "Fire our coach" thread as well as the "For those that want our coach gone" thread. We've both got the "the other teams fans are classless thread" and the is it "players and coaches" debate. Anywhoo... just some random observations. It feels like I'm forgetting something though.....

Oh yeah.

Suck it bugeaters, you guys are going down!

I remember a time when Ferentz's name was coming up for a lot of NFL jobs. He has fallen from grace rather enormously the last few years. For Nebraska, I think we're actually playing for a lot. We're playing to stay ranked. We're also playing to not have our season end as poorly as last year.

Used to ...... The Des Moines Red Star just had an article two weeks ago about Ferentz being considered for Penn State. His expertise at mediocrity isn't going to get him anywhere, but Iowa. Bo is entering the same plane. His "upside" had better start moving up, or he's just another D1 coach as well.

I think this game is a total crap shoot. Iowa and Nebby are really two similar teams in that you just cant figure out what they are. You guys can dominate a legitimate MSU squad, and then get man handled by scUM. We can loose to Minnesota, and then beat up on scUM.

It will be interesting to see how your weakest and most inconsistent phase (offense) matches up against our weakest and most inconsistent (phase) defense. It's sad when a the winner of a game gets decided by which phase sucks the least but I think that's where this one is headed.

I'm also interested to see how your secondary handles McNutt and Davis.

I think this game is a total crap shoot. Iowa and Nebby are really two similar teams in that you just cant figure out what they are. You guys can dominate a legitimate MSU squad, and then get man handled by scUM. We can loose to Minnesota, and then beat up on scUM.

It will be interesting to see how your weakest and most inconsistent phase (offense) matches up against our weakest and most inconsistent (phase) defense. It's sad when a the winner of a game gets decided by which phase sucks the least but I think that's where this one is headed.

NU's weakest and most inconsistent phase is the D. Trust me.

(Though the O has had it's moments. Sometimes lasting games at a time).

Does your QB run? No? Ok, maybe NU has a chance.

NU's weakest and most inconsistent phase is the D. Trust me.

(Though the O has had it's moments. Sometimes lasting games at a time).

Does your QB run? No? Ok, maybe NU has a chance.

He's not a threat outside the pocket no, but he does have two legit Sunday WR's to throw the ball to. Like I said I'm interested to see how you matchup on the outside, you have some real athletes on the outside, who's that big guy that moved over from WR?

I think the blue print to beat Nebraska is easy. Contain the run and make Martinez beat you with his arm. That said actually executing that isn't an easy task, especially for a defensive front seven that hasn't exactly lit the world on fire. You aren't going to see many big plays, traditionally to have a shot you have to be able to string 7+ play drives together. Teams that do that well, the real NU for example :), typically can have success. Those that can't, like scUM, typically don't.

I'm sorry to say that the game on Friday is feeling like a big let down. I (along with most of you) thought it would have division title ramifications. In fact coming into the season I would have gladly put money that at least one team in this game would have a shot at the title. Don't get me wrong its still going to be fun to watch given the fact our family has both huskers and hawk fans, but it just doesn't feel as big as I imagined it would. To be honest, it just kind of feels like another game. It's a shame neither team is really bringing anything extra to the table this year. Both are playing for the difference in respectable bowl versus toilet bowl.

BTW I did find it interesting how similar our boards are. We've each got the required "Fire our coach" thread as well as the "For those that want our coach gone" thread. We've both got the "the other teams fans are classless thread" and the is it "players and coaches" debate. Anywhoo... just some random observations. It feels like I'm forgetting something though.....

Oh yeah.

Suck it bugeaters, you guys are going down!

Glad to have you here. Know you're always welcome. This will be an interesting game. I agree with everything that's been written so far except this:

YOU GUYS ARE TOAST!!! GO BIG RED!! ;)

Iowa and Nebraska have had 5 common opponents so far this year. The results couldn't be more different.

Penn State:

This is the only game that had a similar result. Both Iowa and Nebraska played in a low scoring affair though you obviously played better to get the win.

Iowa lost 13-3, you won 17-14.

Northwestern

Iowa won 41-31, you lost 28-25.

MSU:

We got hammered out of the gate and never recovered, you gave them a beat down.

Iowa lost 37-21, you won 24-3.

Minnesota:

This could be Iowa worst loss under KF. You did what you were supposed to do.

Iowa lost 22-21, you won 41-14.

scUM:

Iowa totally takes away scUM's big play offense and grinds them down, you get dominated on both sides of the ball.

Iowa won 24-16, you lost 45-17.

I said this in another thread, this game is a complete head scratcher. Both teams have been so wildly inconsistent this year.