Iowa fan perspective: Friday's game is a bit of a let down

Duffman

this game became a letdown when iowa lost to iowa st. we traded in the better iowa team for a lemon. i guess that is why their team color is yellow.

Yeah, for some reason we always seem to have trouble against ISU. You guys really had them figured out, especially the last few years... wait.. what?

this game became a letdown when iowa lost to iowa st. we traded in the better iowa team for a lemon. i guess that is why their team color is yellow.

Yeah, for some reason we always seem to have trouble against ISU. You guys really had them figured out, especially the last few years... wait.. what?

i am glad you replied, i was being mean because i am still grumpy from the loss this weekend. and good point. no shame in losing to isu (just do not let it happen again), i mean they took down okie lite.

also, good to have you here! hope you enjoy your stay and stick around.

Isn't Iowa the definition of wildly inconsistent?

1991: 10-1. Next 3 seasons: 5-7, 6-6, 5-5.

2002: 7-5. Next 3 seasons: 11-2, 10-3, 10-2

2004: 10-2. Next 3 seasons: 7-5, 6-7, 6-6.

2009: 11-2. 2010: 8-5....

I know that none of this has anything to do with this season. I just find it strange that an Iowa fan is surprised that their team is inconsistent.

As for Nebraska's last 10 years...the fans have consistently been let down.

i am glad you replied, i was being mean because i am still grumpy from the loss this weekend. and good point. no shame in losing to isu (just do not let it happen again), i mean they took down okie lite.

also, good to have you here! hope you enjoy your stay and stick around.

Ohh there's plenty of shame in losing to ISU, in fact there is enough to go around for both of us.

I know that none of this has anything to do with this season. I just find it strange that an Iowa fan is surprised that there team is inconsistent.

I meant both teams have been wildly inconsistent this season. Both teams are bi-polar.

I also wouldn't consider Iowa inconsistent long term. We are a solidly above average program that has flashes of brilliance 2-3 times a decade. We've been the same since 1981. Very few teams can consistently win 9+ games year in and year out, and as you pointed out Nebraska isn't one of them anymore and Iowa has never been.

I know that none of this has anything to do with this season. I just find it strange that an Iowa fan is surprised that there team is inconsistent.

I meant both teams have been wildly inconsistent this season. Both teams are bi-polar.

I also wouldn't consider Iowa inconsistent long term. We are a solidly above average program that has flashes of brilliance 2-3 times a decade. We've been the same since 1981. Very few teams can consistently win 9+ games year in and year out, and as you pointed out Nebraska isn't one of them anymore and Iowa has never been.

Starting in 2006, we have only had a single <9-win season. Since Bo has been here, we have not had a <9 win season. The difference between our programs: Nebraska doesn't accept as getting 9 wins as "the bar"...

So I guess in rebuttal, we are consistent at getting >9 wins a season, however I wouldn't say that this feat is hard to accomplish. Nebraska has a lot of room for improvement.

Also welcome to the board. Stay a while.

Starting in 2006, we have only had a single <9-win season. Since Bo has been here, we have not had a <9 win season. The difference between our programs: Nebraska doesn't accept as getting 9 wins as "the bar"...

So I guess in rebuttal, we are consistent at getting >9 wins a season, however I wouldn't say that this feat is hard to accomplish. Nebraska has a lot of room for improvement.

Also welcome to the board. Stay a while.

No offense but I kind of think you have too. Not to say you can't occasionally challenge for a national title, but the landscape of college football has changed so much post Osborne. I don't think you will ever see a consistent run of top ten finishes like you did in the 90's. You saw for yourself how tough it was maintaining 9-10 wins when Solich left.

I'm sorry to say that the game on Friday is feeling like a big let down. I (along with most of you) thought it would have division title ramifications. In fact coming into the season I would have gladly put money that at least one team in this game would have a shot at the title.

Well, I thought NU would be playing for a CCG slot. You guys? Well, no.

Say, I haven't seen many of your posts. Welcome to the board, Duff. :)

First off, Solich didn't leave, he was fired by the man who damn near successfully destroyed the husker football program.

I'll agree we were spoiled in the 90's, but most of us want to see a run of consistent conference championships, with frequent appearances to the MNC. The last time we visited it was over 10 years ago, and most agree...we shouldn't have been there.

Either way, ever since I started watching Iowa football (I have a die hard Iowa fan friend), I have noticed that you guys are consistently inconsistent. Always beating teams you shouldn't and often not beating the teams you should. I've noticed this trend over the last 5 years.

And it appears that Nebraska must be picking up on this epidemic, as we are starting to do the same thing.

BTW I did find it interesting how similar our boards are. We've each got the required "Fire our coach" thread as well as the "For those that want our coach gone" thread. We've both got the "the other teams fans are classless thread" and the is it "players and coaches" debate. Anywhoo... just some random observations. It feels like I'm forgetting something though.....

Wait, what? Iowa fans and Nebraska fans are similiar? No way, don't let your fellow Hawk fans see that you said that. After all, Husker fans are all arrogant, unsufferable SOB's, so what are Iowa fans?

Anyhow, IMO this game really has no meaning to me, except that I don't want to hear it from Hawk fans if we lose. I think that we are a better team, and we have home field, but if the Nebraska team that showed up against Wisconsin, NW, and Michigan shows up, I don't think that we can win.

I thought it would have Legends title ramifications. Just not for Iowa. I never saw Iowa as a contender in the Legends. It's just that Nebraska has not performed AT ALL to my expectations this year.

Interesting, because in another thread (that got locked) I thought that you mentioned that this year was not a failure and that you expected us to win only 8 or 9 games? Or did I read that wrong?

• Fire 1