Shatel: Changing barometer for NU?

Nexus

There's a guy I know. Call him a Nebraska football booster of substance. He'll travel with the team to a road game each year. He'll get the sideline pass. He knows people.

Well, I saw him on Friday in Lincoln, and he had a look of concern.

"This would be a big win," he said.

"Really?" I asked. "Beat 7-5 Iowa to go to the Outback Bowl. That's big?''

"There are people saying this is the biggest game of Bo's (Pelini) career here,'' said my booster friend.

Continue Reading

Some of these boosters think they have more power than they actually do. This "booster" probably donated $1,000 last year. No way, no how was Pelini's job in danger.

If the amount of money you donate determines how much you know, then why the hell do you think you know anything?

There's a guy I know. Call him a Nebraska football booster of substance. He'll travel with the team to a road game each year. He'll get the sideline pass. He knows people.

Well, I saw him on Friday in Lincoln, and he had a look of concern.

"This would be a big win," he said.

"Really?" I asked. "Beat 7-5 Iowa to go to the Outback Bowl. That's big?''

"There are people saying this is the biggest game of Bo's (Pelini) career here,'' said my booster friend.

Continue Reading

Some of these boosters think they have more power than they actually do. This "booster" probably donated $1,000 last year. No way, no how was Pelini's job in danger.

If the amount of money you donate determines how much you know, then why the hell do you think you know anything?

Nice handle :snacks:

"Tom followed the toughest act, taking over two years after back-to-back national championships. Maybe that bought him more time. Pelini took over in 2008, nearly 10 years after the last conference title. He has hungrier mouths to feed."

That pretty much summed it up for me.

Me too...being 'one' of those hungry mouths. Also, it sure didn't help matters after BC drove this program down to the ground!

What I want to know is who does this "booster" think we will hire if we fire Bo? What good coach in his right mind would come to a place where if you win 10 games your job is on the line? Even then, if he is not a Nebraska man through and through and he is a good coach, he will probably get hired away by a Texas or Florida. It is sad, but also true. They can pay more money, recruiting is easier, and they can get better assistant coaches because they are willing to pay more money.

I think a major aspect this is always overlooked by everyone complaining about Bo hiring his "high school buddies" is the trust and loyalty that goes along with it. By showing the assistants loyalty, they will in turn share their loyalty and stick around. Continuity is a huge part of college coaching, by having our coaches stick around relationships that are built with recruits during the season are not lost when the assistant either leaves or gets fired. Hopefully, our assistants keeps improving and stick around and in 5 or 6 years we will have some of the best assistants in the game. Look back at Osborne, he had McBride and Tenopir, they stuck around forever and eventually became some of the best position coaches.

If you ever need some reminders that Bo is headed in the right direction all you need to do is read some of Osborne's and John Wooden's books. I've read them all and trust me, Bo will get us where we want to go, you just have to tough it out through these 10 win seasons.

What I want to know is who does this "booster" think we will hire if we fire Bo? What good coach in his right mind would come to a place where if you win 10 games your job is on the line? Even then, if he is not a Nebraska man through and through and he is a good coach, he will probably get hired away by a Texas or Florida. It is sad, but also true. They can pay more money, recruiting is easier, and they can get better assistant coaches because they are willing to pay more money.

I think a major aspect this is always overlooked by everyone complaining about Bo hiring his "high school buddies" is the trust and loyalty that goes along with it. By showing the assistants loyalty, they will in turn share their loyalty and stick around. Continuity is a huge part of college coaching, by having our coaches stick around relationships that are built with recruits during the season are not lost when the assistant either leaves or gets fired. Hopefully, our assistants keeps improving and stick around and in 5 or 6 years we will have some of the best assistants in the game. Look back at Osborne, he had McBride and Tenopir, they stuck around forever and eventually became some of the best position coaches.

If you ever need some reminders that Bo is headed in the right direction all you need to do is read some of Osborne's and John Wooden's books. I've read them all and trust me, Bo will get us where we want to go, you just have to tough it out through these 10 win seasons.

Problem is your assuming Bo wants to be here... If he is unhappy it really wont matter who he hires or what he does, if he wants out he cant give 100%... When he was hired people were afraid of him making his bones then moving on, well we can pretty much say he was able to turn our program around.... So what keeps him here? A warm and fuzzy relationship with the media, or how about him and Harv, boy that public lashing last year must have him dancing in his boots... In the end any other high profile job will be as bad or worse, but that won't stop him from looking for something that might be a better "fit" for him (whatever that may be)

Problem is your assuming Bo wants to be here... If he is unhappy it really wont matter who he hires or what he does, if he wants out he cant give 100%... When he was hired people were afraid of him making his bones then moving on, well we can pretty much say he was able to turn our program around.... So what keeps him here? A warm and fuzzy relationship with the media, or how about him and Harv, boy that public lashing last year must have him dancing in his boots... In the end any other high profile job will be as bad or worse, but that won't stop him from looking for something that might be a better "fit" for him (whatever that may be)

I have no argument against that, it may be true. I don't think you make a coaching change because you think a guy might leave though. Given the amount of loyalty Bo showed Watson, I don't think he would leave. By going somewhere else he would be leaving all of his assistants behind, just turning his back on them? I don't think so.

The biggest issue it Bo took over a mediocre to bad program with his brother as a DC. The cupboard was loaded with 3 years of good recruiting by Callahan and I think many including myself saw a repeat of Stoops and OU (had he had at least a sh**ty offense in 09 it wouldve) but as it has turned out he is not bob stoops. Hell no, he is Bo Pelini. I like the column, has kind of a eery tone, but it is very truthful, and Shatel seems to personally take Bo's side. but I'll say this, if next year goes like this year and we win 9-10 games again and maybe fail to make the championship game and/or win it and the big damn boosters and the school pull another Solich and oust this guy cuz he doesnt quite fill the trophy case then it will be the straw for me. I will throw out every bit of Husker gear I own and will no longer be associated with this program. I know expectations are high and winning comes first but in the condition of college sports with all the scandals and players getting in trouble I want you to think about this. How many players have been in trouble this year and/or are struggling with school. We had one incident, a player beat up a frickin paper towel dispenser. Oh yeah, I forgot the one where we gave our players too many books. Bo is doing things the right way and he said it best after the Penn St., tho under different circumstances, that even the coaches are involved in a university system and that job #1 is to educate. Championships and trophies for us fans to brag about on rivals.com are great but if we consistently get to 9-10 wins without ever having to go through what Penn St., Ohio St. Miami, USC, even Oklahoma had to recently surrender a year of wins, then I'm am perfectly fine with that, and for those who arent, then they need to take a serious look in the mirror and completely restructure their morales. And yes, I am very angry, extremely aggrevated that Bo future is even remotely in question. Even if rumors are untrue, just the fact that people start them shows how much disconnect with perspective they have. After the NW game i came home and the first thread I saw was "Bo must go". I was shocked, in utter disbelief at the stuff I was reading. Then after the Michigan game I was just mad. If we oust him for the reasons stated, throw Nebraska football to the gutter, becuase it will NEVER recover.

As far as the recruiting goes, maybe he doesnt want the big dogs. Maybe we dont want the next Terrel Prior or Reggie Bush. I bet Ohio St. and USC are just tickled pink now that they had them. This is a clean program, it always has been. And that cannot be sacraficed by any means whatsoever, even as hard as we tried during the Callahan dark ages.

Excellent post. I read the article too and was pleased at the position Shatel took. Bo is like fine wine...gets better with age :) Here's to the continued restoration of a great football team!

Most that know college football probably already were aware, but it brings into light about the "beginnings" of careers for guys the general public look at as great football coaches... Bo is actually ahead of most of those guys...under a 'greater' microscope, since most of them began at lower level schools....

I read the paper this morning and was hoping someone would post it.... also brings a little more "creditbility" to the post I made under the "Carl" thread about the rumor from a person close to the University saying TO and Bo aren't necessarily on "great terms"... If Shatel (whom I don't always agree with) is talking to a guy that travels with team and big time booster suggests this stuff......

A lot of people won't give it much credit, but face it, just because it isn't on KETV or ESPN.... some of these "rumors" have some teeth....

I respectfully disagree with you. I find that 'rumors' cause more harm than good. People always 'credit' them when they are true but when they are not true they end up hurting people, hurting programs. Sorry, unless I can cite a reliable source, I will stick with this: 'Just the facts Ma'am' (Dragnet-Akroyd :))

I trust the booster in questions is not the 1k guy. I would guess a guy from Texas that paid the bill to get Bo here in the first place. A lot of what was said has been stated on this board. Bo has time as long as the team shows growth, plays smart. Recruiting is becoming far more important question. Comments in boosterville compare his recruiting to Frank's. That will need to change to keep the money guys happy.

Money makes things go, see Oregon, Okie lite. We need our share of the big boys and they need to be happy. I think a major step was taken Friday. Faith restored at least temporarily.

Bo is a good coach, time will tell if he is the coach Nebraska is looking for. But as stated, I think he knows now what he faces at Nebraska. I do not think he understood prior.

I am glad the light came on. He is maturing not only as a coach but as a person. I am very glad to see it. Now, he needs to do as the reporter stated, make bigger and better friends with the boosters. It will help him. A lot of money there and a lot business know how. This is a business no matter what we want to call it. BIG BUSINESS.

This just makes me sad. My Dad is of the same opinion that you are and rightly so. He says that gambling has ruined college football as well. I love football-I really do but not at the expense of robbing these young men of a good education and a great college experience. I agree with the poster who said that running a clean program is more important than winning. I agree with this whole heartedly. Sending young men of character out into the big old world will serve them well for the rest of their lives, long after their 'football days' are gone. I hope Bo continues to put education/character building as his #1 priorities.

If beating Iowa was a panacea for the boosters who want Bo gone they are idiots and we'd be better off without their money.

I don't think these boosters are unhappy with Bo's knowledge of coaching.

These boosters are frustrated with his sideline behavior and the way he speaks to the media. Carl having an affair with a boosters daughter-inlaw doesn't help either. These guys are looking for any reason to get the Pelini's out.

Most that know college football probably already were aware, but it brings into light about the "beginnings" of careers for guys the general public look at as great football coaches... Bo is actually ahead of most of those guys...under a 'greater' microscope, since most of them began at lower level schools....

I read the paper this morning and was hoping someone would post it.... also brings a little more "creditbility" to the post I made under the "Carl" thread about the rumor from a person close to the University saying TO and Bo aren't necessarily on "great terms"... If Shatel (whom I don't always agree with) is talking to a guy that travels with team and big time booster suggests this stuff......

A lot of people won't give it much credit, but face it, just because it isn't on KETV or ESPN.... some of these "rumors" have some teeth....

Understood...... and I don't buy into "rumors", but there are times when "Rumors' tend to come to fruition....what I was referring to is that Tom Shatel put this in print in the States largest paper and whether people like him or not, he is a credible writer... I was just pointing out that what a few have "heard", NOW has been put in print.... of course, he wouldn't site his "source" either.... and yes, his job is to sell papers...

I didn't quite "mean" the final sentence of that post to come across the way it did... I am on your side for the most part

I respectfully disagree with you. I find that 'rumors' cause more harm than good. People always 'credit' them when they are true but when they are not true they end up hurting people, hurting programs. Sorry, unless I can cite a reliable source, I will stick with this: 'Just the facts Ma'am' (Dragnet-Akroyd :))

He has been included in many 'job openings' in the past few years, but he hasn't taken them. I believe Bo is where he wants to be.

If beating Iowa was a panacea for the boosters who want Bo gone they are idiots and we'd be better off without their money.

Pretty much exactly this. One of my favorite results of the Big ten move is more guaranteed money, the program is less beholden to old boosters who have nostalgia for an age that never existed

I don't think these boosters are unhappy with Bo's knowledge of coaching.

These boosters are frustrated with his sideline behavior and the way he speaks to the media. Carl having an affair with a boosters daughter-inlaw doesn't help either. These guys are looking for any reason to get the Pelini's out.

And you know all of this because........

In retrospect, waiting to make the offensive transition was probably a mistake. Bo could have handled just about any record in 2008 without any real scrutiny. Thanks to the offense we whiffed on two consecutive conference championships, and only now when the defense has a down year we're in year one with a new scheme and coordinator.

I'm still baffled by Cotton. Someone seriously has to explain this one to me. Why is he on staff? In my opinion now is the perfect time (well, remains the perfect time--last year would have been the really perfect time) to go out and get the best line coach money can buy. We've got a lot of young talent, and possibly more on the way. Open the checkbook. For me, O-line is second only to D-line in the scheme of things, and I'd melt down Tom Osborne's statue to pay for a great one to come here.

Anyway, on the season. The defensive implosion remains a mystery for me. Yeah, we put a lot of guys in the league. Yeah, we hit a rough patch a D-tackle. I don't expect to win every game every season, but suffering two blowouts is ridiculous in year four of a Bo Pelini defense. It speaks to recruiting, development, and coaching. I'm hiding under my bed come September next season. Without Fonzie and Lavonte we could be in serious *%$#.