Mike Sherman vs. Bill Callahan

Yeah Z-rod, i really do need to bring that up, i know its a slap in the face to the "Bo is a Nebraska guy crowd", but our football program is exactly where it was 8 yrs ago, no better or worse, and people that hate Bill Callahan don't understand that he was light yrs ahead of the Pelinis in football knowledge. BC coached in a Super Bowl, Bo was LB coach for the Packers., As far as I know, he has never been offered an NFL job, or any other Div.1 coaching jobs. Being Defensive cooridinator for 1 yr at NU does not make him a "Nebraska guy". We beat the cream puffs, get stomped by the good teams, its a fact. Whether you admit it or not, Bo is out of BC recruits!!!!! We don't have nearly the talent that BC brought in. Hell, if it wasn't for N.Suh, we wouldn't of played in 2 big 12 title games. First year with his own recruits, NW owned us!!! In our own house, thats pretty sad. Keep drinkin the cool aid buddy.

• Fire 1

Bo has something like 8 years of very legit NFL experience and went to the Super Bowl at least once in that span. The football knowledge is just on a different side of the ball. And no, Bo didn't get a HC offer, he was 40 when he took over at Nebraska, and that was after two 2-year stints at DC at two national championship programs.

I agree that he wasn't a Nebraska guy, but BC wasn't light years ahead in football knowledge - unless you mean stuff like his approach to recruiting. Where yes, Callahan pushed the envelope there.

Zoogies, Bo might of went to one super bowl(as LB coach), NOT head coach(big difference), what is there, 6 maybe 7 LB's on an NFL roster? He was getting told what and what not to do, BC was the head guy calling the shots. Not sure what you mean about Callahan pushing the envelope on recruiting, but he was fired with NO NCAA violations or even an investgation. Auburn wins the title last year with everybody in the world knowing that Newton got paid. No NCAA violations. My point is that the 4yrs BC was given, he brought in talent, without cheating, he did it on his on own resume, he surrounded himself with good recruiters. Now, what makes bo a defensive genious? We had 3 legite defensive All-Americans in the preseason, pretty crappy defense, I think you would agree. Putting a crappy defense with an offense that even the coaches cant explain tells me that we are no further ahead than we were 8 yrs ago, sorry but its a fact. No disrespect meant.

Bo was 27 at the time of that Super Bowl. He had an impressive resume built up early in his coaching career at a young age. I mean, we all know Bo was not a seasoned head coach and that was a concern when he was hired. I don't know what you mean about "football knowledge", because Bo is one of the premiere defensive minds in the country right now. His record speaks for itself over the years. We may have had three AAs in the preseason, but the lack of talent present otherwise really showed. Bo can take some of the blame but it doesn't take away from his prowess as a DC.

What I meant about BC was a very high complement. He raised the bar for recruiting and showed what we could accomplish, even at Nebraska, if we got after it. And yes, he surrounded himself with good recruiters.

I won't argue too much about your point as to where we are as a program because I've also some concerns with the recruiting. I think Bo is a better DC than Frank was an OC, not sure it's even close. But recruiting is a big piece of the puzzle. Without getting after it more, we'll find our talent pool drying up even more.

Guess we should of just kept frank, what we have now is a carbon copy of the program we had in 2003...........beat the teams we should, get crushed against the good teams, win 8-9 games a year, very average recruiting. Doesn't make me happy(i want championships, conference +), but a majority on this board are ok with it.

:facepalm:

Zoogies, we are definately on the same page. Recruiting is the key, if you don't have them on campus, you don't have a chance. A team full of Nebraska walkons has NO chance against LSU or ALABAMA, NONE. Times have changed even since the mid 90s. We now have some of the best facilities in the nation(i've seen them my self), if Bo can't sell what the University has given him(waaaaaaay better than TO ever had), then maybe its time to change something.. Bo has had 4yrs, BC was fired after 4yrs, i just don't understand the love affair with Bo.

Personally, I think most NFL coaches have trouble because at the college level you are required to teach and develop. College kids can't do some of the things that Pros can do

because they just don't have the time to learn it all and they don't have the experience, so you have to be careful not to overload them or ask them to do too much. They have to be fundamental sound.

For instance you can learn a lot of different techniques and that's great but first you have to learn plays and how your schemes work. And I would say not to confuse technique with base fundamentals. That's why I think Coach Sanders was a good college coach. Make sure the kids know their fundamentals and assignments first and have them play physical and fast. When the player has that master than you throw in tips on different things you can do. Just my opinion.

They also have to recruit. I think Carroll did well because of 'how' he recruited and related to kids.

Zoogies, we are definately on the same page. Recruiting is the key, if you don't have them on campus, you don't have a chance. A team full of Nebraska walkons has NO chance against LSU or ALABAMA, NONE. Times have changed even since the mid 90s. We now have some of the best facilities in the nation(i've seen them my self), if Bo can't sell what the University has given him(waaaaaaay better than TO ever had), then maybe its time to change something.. Bo has had 4yrs, BC was fired after 4yrs, i just don't understand the love affair with Bo.

I hardly think there is a love affair with Bo after seeing all of the threads calling for his head in the last few weeks...

Reasonable Husker fans seem to understand that chasing off a coach after four years (with 38 wins in that span) will do nothing but set the program back again.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, has yet to give a legitimate answer as to who the next coach would be if Nebraska fired Bo.

people that hate Bill Callahan don't understand that he was light yrs ahead of the Pelinis in football knowledge.

That's a pretty subjective statement to make, so here's another one. The Pelinis are light years ahead of Bill Callahan at coaching. Callahan proved he could recruit in Nebraska and that was about it. And for the record I'm indifferent to BC, he was what he was.

"Bo is a Nebraska guy crowd"

Being Defensive cooridinator for 1 yr at NU does not make him a "Nebraska guy".

Did I say anything to that effect, has anyone? I'm pretty sure most people understand that he wasn't a "Nebraska guy", but that isn't why he was hired. Bo is a young coach and he's going to have his ups and downs and recruiting whoes, it happens to every coach. But show me one solid legitimately backed piece of evidence that says he will not crank things up and find his groove here at Nebraska. He's a young head coach with a lot of success on his resume and he's going to go through growing pains if he's given that chance.

Keep drinkin the cool aid buddy.

Go ahead and and label me whatever you want, but I'd rather be that type of person than calling for a coaches head after 4 years of decent performances, with nothing but promise on the horizon. If you want Nebraska to slip back into irrelevance for the foreseeable future then by all means call for the coaches head. But If you want to give a guy a chance to find his way then lets wait another year or two to see what he can do on his own. I know excuses are like aholes but this was a very young team with a new offensive scheme and new coaches on both sides of the ball, and to come out and only drop 3 games with the schedule we had, well call me a kool aid drinker but that is pretty commendable.

Personally, I think most NFL coaches have trouble because at the college level you are required to teach and develop. College kids can't do some of the things that Pros can do

because they just don't have the time to learn it all and they don't have the experience, so you have to be careful not to overload them or ask them to do too much. They have to be fundamental sound.

For instance you can learn a lot of different techniques and that's great but first you have to learn plays and how your schemes work. And I would say not to confuse technique with base fundamentals. That's why I think Coach Sanders was a good college coach. Make sure the kids know their fundamentals and assignments first and have them play physical and fast. When the player has that master than you throw in tips on different things you can do. Just my opinion.

They also have to recruit. I think Carroll did well because of 'how' he recruited and related to kids.

The main reason that it's harder for an NFL coach is that they have limited times to practice with the team. In the NFL, there is no limit and even if there wasn't a limit in college, the kids still have school on top of everything.

Odd thing is I've heard it it mentioned multiple times that Bo runs his team like it was the NFL.

News to me. I thought that's what we wanted to change once BC was fired. ?

No, it was all propaganda, just like "killing the walk on" program. Limits on coaches/graduate assistants means less reps for the backups. It's impossible to practice like it was during TO's days and I don't know why people still think that we can.

Bo has something like 8 years of very legit NFL experience and went to the Super Bowl at least once in that span. The football knowledge is just on a different side of the ball. And no, Bo didn't get a HC offer, he was 40 when he took over at Nebraska, and that was after two 2-year stints at DC at two national championship programs.

I agree that he wasn't a Nebraska guy, but BC wasn't light years ahead in football knowledge - unless you mean stuff like his approach to recruiting. Where yes, Callahan pushed the envelope there.

Well said. Both have their pluses and minuses. Right now the big difference between the two is that BC was light years ahead of both Frank and Bo in recruiting.

Guess we should of just kept frank, what we have now is a carbon copy of the program we had in 2003...........beat the teams we should, get crushed against the good teams, win 8-9 games a year, very average recruiting. Doesn't make me happy(i want championships, conference +), but a majority on this board are ok with it.

:facepalm:

I'm assuming that the truth hurts? Because he's right, the only part that he left out was choking at home to bad teams once a year.