John Papuchis new DC?

I don't know John Papuchis from a hole in the ground but, if the way our D Line played this year is any reflection of how he coaches, then I think he should not only NOT be the next DC but should be removed from D Line coaching as well. It's possible that our problems have just been players or scheme but something needs to change for the better in that area. Now if he is DC in name only and Bo calls the shots, then that might work. Regardless we need to do something way different with the D line in the future, preferebly within the next month.

The criticism of JP on the line isn't really fair. He mostly worked with the DE's and Carl still took most of the work with the interior which is where the majority of the problems were although he did run them when Carl was working at other stations so its not like he was hands off. That being said...he did suggest the changes made after all the guys started dropping like flies that seem to reduce the problems.

IMO he did have too much on his plate this year. The RC duties kill a bunch of time even with Els doing most of the day to day on special teams. I stated last year I thought it would hurt him some and I still stand by that.

I don't know John Papuchis from a hole in the ground but, if the way our D Line played this year is any reflection of how he coaches, then I think he should not only NOT be the next DC but should be removed from D Line coaching as well. It's possible that our problems have just been players or scheme but something needs to change for the better in that area. Now if he is DC in name only and Bo calls the shots, then that might work. Regardless we need to do something way different with the D line in the future, preferebly within the next month.

The criticism of JP on the line isn't really fair. He mostly worked with the DE's and Carl still took most of the work with the interior which is where the majority of the problems were although he did run them when Carl was working at other stations so its not like he was hands off. That being said...he did suggest the changes made after all the guys started dropping like flies that seem to reduce the problems.

IMO he did have too much on his plate this year. The RC duties kill a bunch of time even with Els doing most of the day to day on special teams. I stated last year I thought it would hurt him some and I still stand by that.

The RC thing best suites JP, but if he does in fact get promoted I think, like PaulCrewe stated, that Corey Raymond should be the next RC. Raymond has done a very good job on the trail this year. Especially in the south.

Somehow that makes sense. Bo probably wouldn't want someone coming in externally who may want to actually have absolute control over the D.

Hiring, yet again, a coach who has no experience at the position they move in to would be... yet again... a mistake. If you can hire experience that has shown excellence elsewhere --- having had cut their teeth and made their mistakes on someone else's team... that is who you hire.

If Bo does, as you suggest, hire a figurehead who he will micromanage rather than dedicate his time to those aspects of the HC position that he is very much struggling with... then Bo has not learned from his mistakes.

Nothing against JP... for an up and coming position coach he may very well be quite good --- but he is modestly inexperienced even at that. Moving him into a DC position at NU would be.... hmnn.

speed, I think that raises the same issue we had when JP became RC last year: do we want one of our ace recruiters to spend time on RC duties? Doesn't it take time away from the trail?

Thats a good point, but I would much rather have Raymond, JP, or Garrison have those RC duties than Els or Cotton. Just my personal opinion.

speed, I think that raises the same issue we had when JP became RC last year: do we want one of our ace recruiters to spend time on RC duties? Doesn't it take time away from the trail?

RC does for sure limit some of th time. However Carl was our DC and one of our better recruiters and he took part of the area that was furtherest away. I think JP could multi task that ok as well.

As far as Raymond. . .I hope he can just do what he's doing.

Somehow that makes sense. Bo probably wouldn't want someone coming in externally who may want to actually have absolute control over the D.

Hiring, yet again, a coach who has no experience at the position they move in to would be... yet again... a mistake. If you can hire experience that has shown excellence elsewhere --- having had cut their teeth and made their mistakes on someone else's team... that is who you hire.

If Bo does, as you suggest, hire a figurehead who he will micromanage rather than dedicate his time to those aspects of the HC position that he is very much struggling with... then Bo has not learned from his mistakes.

Nothing against JP... for an up and coming position coach he may very well be quite good --- but he is modestly inexperienced even at that. Moving him into a DC position at NU would be.... hmnn.

Everybody complained that Bo needed to be a CEO type. Then when the D was down he needed to take over the D. I guess he's never going to win.