John Papuchis new DC?

Makes a lot of sense if you consider :

• Bo will want HIS defense ran and won't mind calling plays for a few years with a DC-in-Training

-Bringing in a proven DC would be a problem when he wanted to use his system and not Bo's
  • JP has been given more and more responsibility.
  • Pretty good with recruiting too.
  • Been under Bo for quite a few years now - knows system, knows coaching style...got the 'culture' down.
  • Bo likes to promote his guys and get them better jobs.

How is he for playcalling? Who knows...who cares...he won't do it for a a few years anyway, but I imagine being around Bo for so long... he'd be on the same wave-length with Bo in terms of when to turn up the heat and when not to.

Would JP retain recruiting coordinator duties in addition to DC? Or would those get passed on to someone else?

Corey Raymond is the only person I'd feel comfortable with this responsibility. Maybe Garrison, who is doing a hell of a job this year. A pleasant suprise.

I agree. JP makes sense, and Raymond would be the best to step into the recruiting coordinator role. JP has done a heck of a job over the last few years in the recruiting efforts, so I'd hate to see him be too far removed from the recruiting picture.

Would JP retain recruiting coordinator duties in addition to DC? Or would those get passed on to someone else?

He could retain it probably - not really sure what a recruiting coordinator does, or if it's 'below' a DC and should be done by an assistant.

Since he'd probably be a defacto Co-DC with Bo, he could still be D-line coach and/or Recruit Co. I assume.

I know that several people (I'm still on the fence myself) have said that bringing a person from the outside would be a good thing but maybe it would be better to stick with someone that Bo trusts. I know he would trust Mike Stoops because they have a great history but would they also butt heads? (Can you imagine the meltdown of those two on the public sidelines if something went wrong?) It will be interesting to see how this plays out.