USC v. Nebraska

johnb21

If Nebraska has a bad as time with running QBs as seems to be indicated by Husker fans than Shaw might have a pretty good day. Clemson had the same problem and Shaw tore them apart on the ground, and had a pretty decent day in the air too.

SC, regardless of coach but especially under Spurrier, has not shown up in bowl games. 1-4 under Spurrier, 4-12 all-time. Under Spurrier we've had 1 loss to Mizzou that we had a big halftime lead and didn't show up in the 2nd half, Liberty Bowl win over a Kevin Cobb lead Houston team, a no-show against Iowa, a no-show against UConn, and a hungover QB vs FSU. Luckily Shaw is one of those guys who just loves everything about football from what I hear. Doesn't consider it a burden to have to go study film and practice etc. He seems to learn and grow from his mistakes, something Garcia did not do. So hopefully a different Gamecock team will show up. Especially since this team wants to have the most wins in a season in Gamecock history.

I think the USC thing is to Gamecocks fans what NU is to Husker fans. To the Big Ten and most of the nation, NU is and will always be Northwestern. But we aren't giving it up. To the nation and most anyone outside of SEC country/neighboring states, USC means Southern Cal, but the Gamecocks aren't going to stop calling themselves USC, either.

At least South Carolina isn't pulling an Iowa State and blatantly copying Southern Cal's uniforms:

uscisu.jpg

just for the record, anywhere i have live "NU" is to refer to Nebraska, not northwestern. i should add that i have lived in nebraska, iowa, florida, texas, and california and that is the way it has been in each one...

I think the USC thing is to Gamecocks fans what NU is to Husker fans. To the Big Ten and most of the nation, NU is and will always be Northwestern. But we aren't giving it up. To the nation and most anyone outside of SEC country/neighboring states, USC means Southern Cal, but the Gamecocks aren't going to stop calling themselves USC, either.

At least South Carolina isn't pulling an Iowa State and blatantly copying Southern Cal's uniforms:

uscisu.jpg

just for the record, anywhere i have live "NU" is to refer to Nebraska, not northwestern. i should add that i have lived in nebraska, iowa, florida, texas, and california and that is the way it has been in each one...

For the record I've lived in 7 states and in only one (Kansas) has NU been used to refer to Nebraska.

All I know is that I personally dodged another bullet by NU NOT playing UGA in a bowl game !

My family ( of native Nebraskans ) told me if that game happened, I'd be watching it from the garage with no BEER, no heat and only the dog for company...

Now, I get to go to the local Nebraska watch site, drink beer, and cheer on my 2nd favorite team as it destroys USC ! ( taking my Tablet to keep an eye on UGA )

Red=UGA

n

Scarlet=NU

uscisu.jpg

For the record I've lived in 7 states and in only one (Kansas) has NU been used to refer to Nebraska.

let me guess, mostly BIG states? across the country northwestern is considered NW in my experiences.

This year's South Carolina's team reminds me a lot of the 2007 Kansas team. They had an unusually "soft" schedule this year not having to play either Bama or LSU. The only good team from the SEC East they played was Arkansas, and they got taken behind the shed by them. If they had played Georgia later in the season, they very likely lose the game. While I don't know how we'll do against them, they're one of the better teams for us to face in the bowl.

Josh Bequette's hit on Connor Shaw was helmet to helmet in my opinion.......We weren't exactly out of that game until that point. If the penalty is called, we may have scored, and either won the game or kept it closer than the final 44-28 score.

Gapo

I think this is the best possible match-up we could have gotten...

From the OWH...

Nebraska and South Carolina are a pair with similar journeys in 2011.

•   Both were hit hard by injuries. South Carolina lost star running back Marcus Lattimore midway through the season to a knee injury. NU lost several defensive players — including tackle Jared Crick ­— for entire chunks of the year.

•  Both failed to win their conference divisions, but beat the eventual division champion. Those teams — Michigan State and Georgia — are playing in the Outback Bowl at the same time as Nebraska and USC.

•  Both had a blowout November loss on the road to shoot down their BCS bowl hopes. NU lost 45-17 to Michigan. South Carolina lost 44-28 at Arkansas.

•  Both use a spread offense featuring mobile sophomore quarterbacks. The Huskers’ Taylor Martinez ran for 837 yards and nine touchdowns while the Gamecocks’ Connor Shaw ran for 483 yards and seven touchdowns, most of that coming after he took over the starting job six games into the season.

•  Both have playmakers on defense. NU relies on Butkus finalist Lavonte David and cornerback Alfonzo Dennard. South Carolina calls on two dominant defensive ends: Melvin Ingram and true freshman Jadeveon Clowney, the consensus No. 1 recruit of the 2011 class. The two have combined for 14.5 sacks and 23.5 tackles for loss.

Great breakdown. I think we are pretty well matched up and this is going to be a great game. Like thegarnetway said we are historically bad in bowl games but this is an entirely different Gamecock team than I can remember so I'm confident that they will bring there "A Game".

If Nebraska has a bad as time with running QBs as seems to be indicated by Husker fans than Shaw might have a pretty good day. Clemson had the same problem and Shaw tore them apart on the ground, and had a pretty decent day in the air too.

SC, regardless of coach but especially under Spurrier, has not shown up in bowl games. 1-4 under Spurrier, 4-12 all-time. Under Spurrier we've had 1 loss to Mizzou that we had a big halftime lead and didn't show up in the 2nd half, Liberty Bowl win over a Kevin Cobb lead Houston team, a no-show against Iowa, a no-show against UConn, and a hungover QB vs FSU. Luckily Shaw is one of those guys who just loves everything about football from what I hear. Doesn't consider it a burden to have to go study film and practice etc. He seems to learn and grow from his mistakes, something Garcia did not do. So hopefully a different Gamecock team will show up. Especially since this team wants to have the most wins in a season in Gamecock history.

We have to give Nebraska way more credit than Clemson though. I'm 100% sure Nebraska would reign terror on an All-ACC team. So Clemson's Defense shouldn't even compare to Nebraska's. Hopefully he will do good, I doubt 107+ yards, maybe 75-90 tops. Like he has been saying recently though, his confidence and decision making has improved a lot, see our last 3 games (30 of 38, 400+ yards, 6 TD's, 1 Int.). He should have an average, by Shaw standards, day. Remember, we're not playing ACC teams or SEC bottom feeders. I have more respect for Nebraska than any team in the ACC or bottom of the SEC.

I agree the mobile QB has me more than concerned. Some of my post was done in the hope of seeking validation that we have a fair chance (no your comments didn't help) and the rest was to attempt a positive outlook since I'm pretty down on how we've performed this season.

I doubt he'll have a career day... see above.

Well now that the nounage has been taken care of, back to the thread title subject.

I have not watched USCe play one down this year so I went to look at their schedule and stats. I must say I was not overly impressed with their schedule. Figured coming out of the SEC they would've had a killer gauntlet to get through but simply looking at the game scores and opponents, I am a lot more hopeful with our chances. I saw 2 fairly high quality wins; Georgia 45-42 and Clemson 34-13 and one quality loss, Arkansas 28-44. There were quite a few games that surprised me that SC didn't get more points on the board or a wider MOV- East Carol 56-37, Navy 24-21, Vandy 21-3, Miss St 14-12, Tenn 14-3, Florida 17-12, Citadel 41-20, and of course the loss to Auburn 13-16. Based on scores alone, it would appear that the SC defense is the real deal and did improve as the season went along but the offense does not seem very productive against some teams that quite frankly I would not be worried in the least for the Huskers to face. This should bode well for our suspect defense but not so well for our offense. I'm thinking a fairly tight game in the high teens to low 20's.

Let me point out for the ECU and Navy game we had Garcia under center. While I like Garcia, he did horribly for us this season. Miss St, Tennessee were games Shaw was really broken in to SEC play. Florida game he was coming off the concussion from Arkansas (right?? Carolina fans correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure we played UF after Arky). Citadel plays the triple option which our defense rarely plays so we expected a few scores by them, offense still pulled it out. Shaw has gotten better since his first start so hopefully he'll continue to improve. Should be a good game, most likely a defensive battle with hard earned stats.

I think in close match ups like these 2 teams have, the turnovers and of course the special teams will play a huge factor. I like our chances with turnovers but i think our sp teams play better step up. IMHO

You know South Carolina is like top 3 or 5 in turnovers caused right? I think we're #2 behind Okie St. I think.

This year's South Carolina's team reminds me a lot of the 2007 Kansas team. They had an unusually "soft" schedule this year not having to play either Bama or LSU. The only good team from the SEC East they played was Arkansas, and they got taken behind the shed by them. If they had played Georgia later in the season, they very likely lose the game. While I don't know how we'll do against them, they're one of the better teams for us to face in the bowl.

Josh Bequette's hit on Connor Shaw was helmet to helmet in my opinion.......We weren't exactly out of that gapme until that point. If the penalty is called, we may have scored, and either won the game or kept it closer than the final 44-28 score.

Gapo

Little overboard on the sig don't ya think?