Stopping Shaw

Stickney

I don't think Shaw is an RBGIII or anything, and I'm not saying that Shaw is going to explode this coming game, but he can sure enough do is manage a game even against tough defenses.

I don't think any NU fan would label this year's D "tough."

Well, except to watch at times.

Y'all don't need to feel down about your Defense, #36 in Total Defense is in the top third of NCAAFB, also ranked #17 Passing Defense, #39 Scoring Defense...ok now I see why y'all are concerned with Shaw, NU's #66 against the run.

I don't think Shaw is an RBGIII or anything, and I'm not saying that Shaw is going to explode this coming game, but he can sure enough do is manage a game even against tough defenses.

I don't think any NU fan would label this year's D "tough."

Well, except to watch at times.

Y'all don't need to feel down about your Defense, #36 in Total Defense is in the top third of NCAAFB, also ranked #17 Passing Defense, #39 Scoring Defense...ok now I see why y'all are concerned with Shaw, NU's #66 against the run.

Mobile QBs are Bo Pelini's kryptonite.

Shaw comes from a football family, his father was his HS coach and the kid lives and breathes football. He knows how to read defenses and you could tell by the end of the season that the game is slowing down for him and his confidence building. The one thing that has helped him is better pass protection, our o-line has been our Achilies Heal although they have done well with run blocking. When given time he is a very accurate passer but he still makes some rookie mistakes although he does seem to learn from them. This game against a good NU defense will be a true test for him.

Shaw comes from a football family, his father was his HS coach and the kid lives and breathes football. He knows how to read defenses and you could tell by the end of the season that the game is slowing down for him and his confidence building. The one thing that has helped him is better pass protection, our o-line has been our Achilies Heal although they have done well with run blocking. When given time he is a very accurate passer but he still makes some rookie mistakes although he does seem to learn from them. This game against a good NU defense will be a true test for him.

We haven't blitzed enough this season to even have it on film. I hope with a month to prepare, Bo will have a few wrinkles yet seen to include better disguised blitz packages and talks to MSU about how to shut down a mobile QB. MSU owned Robinson when they played Michicken.

That game Robinson was 42 yrds on 18 attempts. MSU had approximately 8 tackles for loss and 8 sacks. Robinson 9-24 on passing. MSU came at them all game. That is what NU must do.

We haven't blitzed enough this season to even have it on film. I hope with a month to prepare, Bo will have a few wrinkles yet seen to include better disguised blitz packages and talks to MSU about how to shut down a mobile QB. MSU owned Robinson when they played Michicken.

That game Robinson was 42 yrds on 18 attempts. MSU had approximately 8 tackles for loss and 8 sacks. Robinson 9-24 on passing. MSU came at them all game. That is what NU must do.

Michigan St blitzed a ton....it's risky....but it can be very effective against a mobile QB if executed.

He played vs one good team at home, Clemson.

They got smoked by Arkansas

They struggled with Florida big time.

Shaw's been a starter for the past 7 games, and he played good defenses. To put what I'm about to say in perspective, Nebraska is ranked #36 in the nation for Total Defense.

- Florida is ranked #9 in total defense. Shaw ran for nearly 100 yards and 2 TD's.

- Tennessee is ranked #28 in total defense. Shaw ran for 64 yards, 1 Rushing TD, and went 10-18 and threw a Passing TD. We really had WIlds run the ball most of the game, as he was avg'ing more than 5 yards a carry.

- Miss State is ranked #43 in total defense. Shaw was 20 for 28 in completions and threw the game winning TD in the closing minutes.

http://espn.go.com/c...292/connor-shaw

http://web1.ncaa.org...g&div=IA&dest=O

Shaw had his best games the last 2 games of the season against avg defenses of The Citadel and clemson (#59). Combining those 2 games, Shaw went 30 for 38, with 6 Passing TD's, 1 INT, 30 Rushes for 197 yards, and 2 Rushing TD's, with 0 fumbles. My point to all of this being, HE HAS played good defenses and performed well enough to win 6 of 7 games. I don't think Shaw is an RBGIII or anything, and I'm not saying that Shaw is going to explode this coming game, but he can sure enough do is manage a game even against tough defenses.

Again, he played one good team at home and won.

He played Arkansas and got it handed to him.

Please stop with the Florida talk, stats, in this case, don't show anything. That team let up 22 points or something like that to some DII team in the first half.

Who did he beat that was good? Just Clemson?

Well, we played Clemson, and we were at home, but I'm not sure I can agree on the "good" part of your statement... :)

edit: As to the rest of what you were saying there is some truth to it. The Arky game their DL shut down our run game a couple weeks after we lose our #1 RB, the guy that our offense had basically ridden for the previous year and a half. Since then, I think the coaching staff, has reworked the offense a bit to use tool they had at had.

Early in the 4th we were still within two points. A couple of 4th quarter turnovers and scores did us in (including 1 where Shaw fumbled on the SC 1 yard line with about 5 mins to go). What was lost in the final score of that game is that the gamecocks held the razorbacks on a 1st and goal inside the 5. 3 plays after the ball was turned over on downs, Shaw fumbles and the razorbacks recover on the SC 1 yd line. It still took arky two more plays to get it in (it took them 6 plays inside the 5 to get the TD). The ensuing kickoff was fumbled deep in SC territory. Our defense held them scoreless on that one too, but at that point it was a matter of time and there just wasn't enough left.

My point is, we were in the game in the 4th, but then (our own) mistakes killed us. I'm not crying, just stating what happened for those that don't follow our team. That's football.

I hear ya!

I would add that he is tough and can take a hit.

Point taken. Keep in mind tho is that we really don't have anyone behind him. As a result, you can tell by watching film that he's "been coached" not to take the big hits if he can help it. I've seen him "slide into second base" more times this year than Ricky Henderson...

Our QB does the same --- seemingly for the same reason... no one behind him. Our QB (Taylor Martinez) is nowhere near the passer that Shaw is... but is comparable in terms of running to Shaw. He is quick, though not elusive. And he is fairly hesitant as a runner. that said, TMart can, if he has a lane, can explode through that lane and run very fast.

NU, like most teams, has struggled with dual threat QB's. So... we will have trouble with Shaw.

I would argue that while Martinez has slid more this year than last, he takes some unecessary huge hits. Those will catch up with him at some point..........

I would add that he is tough and can take a hit.

Point taken. Keep in mind tho is that we really don't have anyone behind him. As a result, you can tell by watching film that he's "been coached" not to take the big hits if he can help it. I've seen him "slide into second base" more times this year than Ricky Henderson...

Our QB does the same --- seemingly for the same reason... no one behind him. Our QB (Taylor Martinez) is nowhere near the passer that Shaw is... but is comparable in terms of running to Shaw. He is quick, though not elusive. And he is fairly hesitant as a runner. that said, TMart can, if he has a lane, can explode through that lane and run very fast.

NU, like most teams, has struggled with dual threat QB's. So... we will have trouble with Shaw.

I would argue that while Martinez has slid more this year than last, he takes some unecessary huge hits. Those will catch up with him at some point..........

I really wish they could teach him to lower his shoulder and deliver or absorb the hit instead and slowing down, standing up and getting laid out.

Shaw's been a starter for the past 7 games, and he played good defenses. To put what I'm about to say in perspective, Nebraska is ranked #36 in the nation for Total Defense.

- Florida is ranked #9 in total defense. Shaw ran for nearly 100 yards and 2 TD's.

- Tennessee is ranked #28 in total defense. Shaw ran for 64 yards, 1 Rushing TD, and went 10-18 and threw a Passing TD. We really had WIlds run the ball most of the game, as he was avg'ing more than 5 yards a carry.

- Miss State is ranked #43 in total defense. Shaw was 20 for 28 in completions and threw the game winning TD in the closing minutes.

Shaw had his best games the last 2 games of the season against avg defenses of The Citadel and clemson (#59). Combining those 2 games, Shaw went 30 for 38, with 6 Passing TD's, 1 INT, 30 Rushes for 197 yards, and 2 Rushing TD's, with 0 fumbles. My point to all of this being, HE HAS played good defenses and performed well enough to win 6 of 7 games. I don't think Shaw is an RBGIII or anything, and I'm not saying that Shaw is going to explode this coming game, but he can sure enough do is manage a game even against tough defenses.

Please stop with the Florida talk, stats, in this case, don't show anything. That team let up 22 points or something like that to some DII team in the first half.

That's odd to think the only good defense we played is clempson. If one doesn't think stats and real data are relative then I don't know how to get them to see it another way. I can't debate feelings. Shaw doesn't play on defense or special teams so the stats he produced in his position are relative to the performance you're judging. Saying that the team lost to arkansas, while true, isn't the say-all for how Shaw did that game. After all, he can only control what he does with the ball in his hands and his stats were decent in all of those games I listed, he managed the games pretty well. Not to take away from our win against clempson, they did win their conference, but espn ranks the ACC as the sixth best conference...right behind the Mountain West Conference.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/33005/acc-slips-in-conference-power-rankings

That's odd to think the only good defense we played is clempson. If one doesn't think stats and real data are relative then I don't know how to get them to see it another way. I can't debate feelings. Shaw doesn't play on defense or special teams so the stats he produced in his position are relative to the performance you're judging. Saying that the team lost to arkansas, while true, isn't the say-all for how Shaw did that game. After all, he can only control what he does with the ball in his hands and his stats were decent in all of those games I listed, he managed the games pretty well. Not to take away from our win against clempson, they did win their conference, but espn ranks the ACC as the sixth best conference...right behind the Mountain West Conference.

http://espn.go.com/b...-power-rankings

I'd add....IMO....the ACC has some pretty stout, very fast defenses....specifically FSU and Clemson. Shaw had a good game against Clemson

Again, he played in 7 games. He was smoked vs the one team that was good. He beat the other teams he was supposed to beat. My guess is that USC was favored in all those games EXCEPT Arkansas, right?

Kentucky, come on.

Miss State, was there a bigger disappoint of a team in the SEC this year?

Tennessee, No bowl game right?

Arkansas, curb stomped, right?

Florida, see the Miss State comment

The Citadel, next

Clemson, USC beat the hell out of them.

Look, USC won games because of their defense and because they caught a few teams that flat out suck this year. Not because of Shaw. I am not saying he sucks, I am saying that he is okay.

• Fire 1

Again, he played in 7 games. He was smoked vs the one team that was good. He beat the other teams he was supposed to beat. My guess is that USC was favored in all those games EXCEPT Arkansas, right?

I hear where you are coming from and what you are thing to say, but bottom line is the offense put up 28 pts against the hogs (the 3rd highest pt total scored against the razorbacks all year.)

I watched that game and after seeing it, I would argue the counter that it was our defense which had a uncharacteristically poor game in that outing and that along with turnovers is what lost us the game. Frankly Tyler Wilson just nickled and dimed us to death in that game. The turnover margin was 4 to 1 and two of those were inside our own 10 yard line. It's a situation that's almost impossible to recover from with a top 5-10 team. Now I'll put some of that on #14, he threw a pic and had one of the 3 fumbles. The other two, he can't control what the other players do. Your 100% right on SC stragety for winning this year. It was on our D. Score just enough points and hope the D holds. Against, arky, it didn't.

There is no doubt that arky had our number this year. But take away 3 or 4 big plays by the hogs and we were in the game. Again, I'm not crying, it's football.