Stopping Shaw

Stickney

Again, he played in 7 games. He was smoked vs the one team that was good. He beat the other teams he was supposed to beat. My guess is that USC was favored in all those games EXCEPT Arkansas, right?

I hear where you are coming from and what you are thing to say, but bottom line is the offense put up 28 pts against the hogs (the 3rd highest pt total scored against the razorbacks all year.)

I watched that game and after seeing it, I would argue the counter that it was our defense which had a uncharacteristically poor game in that outing and that along with turnovers is what lost us the game. Frankly Tyler Wilson just nickled and dimed us to death in that game. The turnover margin was 4 to 1 and two of those were inside our own 10 yard line. It's a situation that's almost impossible to recover from with a top 5-10 team. Now I'll put some of that on #14, he threw a pic and had one of the 3 fumbles. The other two, he can't control what the other players do. Your 100% right on SC stragety for winning this year. It was on our D. Score just enough points and hope the D holds. Against, arky, it didn't.

There is no doubt that arky had our number this year. But take away 3 or 4 big plays by the hogs and we were in the game. Again, I'm not crying, it's football.

Trust me, if there is one fan base that knows about "taking away 3 or 4 big plays" in a game its the Husker fan base. That cost NU two BCS apperances, two Big 12 titles and change good old Uncle Mo in the Wisconsin game and the Michigan game.

I am sure you could say that if you took away one or two big plays in your games Vs Florida and Tenn that those games could have been losses, right?

You got a sweet defense and you got to build up some nice stats vs teams that cant score this year, like Florida and Tenn.

NU and USC are pretty much the same, hence the line of the game.

NU and USC are pretty much the same, hence the line of the game.

I won't disagree with this. In all honestly I couldn't think of a better team vs team match up in any bowl this year, minus maybe the rematch game (which even being a SEC FB fan, I didn't agree with). I think it's going to be a helluva game.

• Fire 1

He played vs one good team at home, Clemson.

They got smoked by Arkansas

They struggled with Florida big time.

Shaw's been a starter for the past 7 games, and he played good defenses. To put what I'm about to say in perspective, Nebraska is ranked #36 in the nation for Total Defense.

- Florida is ranked #9 in total defense. Shaw ran for nearly 100 yards and 2 TD's.

- Tennessee is ranked #28 in total defense. Shaw ran for 64 yards, 1 Rushing TD, and went 10-18 and threw a Passing TD. We really had WIlds run the ball most of the game, as he was avg'ing more than 5 yards a carry.

- Miss State is ranked #43 in total defense. Shaw was 20 for 28 in completions and threw the game winning TD in the closing minutes.

http://espn.go.com/c...292/connor-shaw

http://web1.ncaa.org...g&div=IA&dest=O

Shaw had his best games the last 2 games of the season against avg defenses of The Citadel and clemson (#59). Combining those 2 games, Shaw went 30 for 38, with 6 Passing TD's, 1 INT, 30 Rushes for 197 yards, and 2 Rushing TD's, with 0 fumbles. My point to all of this being, HE HAS played good defenses and performed well enough to win 6 of 7 games. I don't think Shaw is an RBGIII or anything, and I'm not saying that Shaw is going to explode this coming game, but he can sure enough do is manage a game even against tough defenses.

Again, he played one good team at home and won.

He played Arkansas and got it handed to him.

Please stop with the Florida talk, stats, in this case, don't show anything. That team let up 22 points or something like that to some DII team in the first half.

Who did he beat that was good? Just Clemson?

That's odd to think the only good defense we played is clempson. If one doesn't think stats and real data are relative then I don't know how to get them to see it another way. I can't debate feelings. Shaw doesn't play on defense or special teams so the stats he produced in his position are relative to the performance you're judging. Saying that the team lost to arkansas, while true, isn't the say-all for how Shaw did that game. After all, he can only control what he does with the ball in his hands and his stats were decent in all of those games I listed, he managed the games pretty well. Not to take away from our win against clempson, they did win their conference, but espn ranks the ACC as the sixth best conference...right behind the Mountain West Conference.

http://espn.go.com/b...-power-rankings

Sounds familiar. We've had games this year where Taylor played a solid game but the rest of the team didn't show up! :)

Cocky, I got a question, what has happened to you basketball team? In the 90's you used to seal up some good seeds in the dance.

We just aren't playing well, and we haven't for a couple years now. Dave Odom had minor success a few years ago, winning back to back NIT Championships, but we got an "up and coming" coach from Western Kentucky who had his best year his first year with Odom's players. Now we have had success in recruiting the past 3 years (this year not so much though), but we can't keep guys on the team (transfer or told they are going to be benched and quit.) Also, our Point Guard, Bruce Ellington, is really good, but he also plays football for us, so the team hasn't had him until the most recent game. Everything is up in the air with the BBall program right now, we'll have to wait to see how the season/recruiting goes before or if anything is done.

I wouldn't classify Clemson as a good team when we played SC. We lost our mojo from earlier in the season and were playing terribly (see also the beating that Clemson took from nc state). Our defense hasn't been terribly good all year, so I would think that the best defense USC has seen would be UGA.

That would be accurate. What's lost in the final score of that game, 45-42, was that we scored 3 TD's from either Defense or Special Teams. We had a Fumble recovery by Ingram for a TD, a pick-6 by Allen, and a 68 yard fake punt TD by Ingram (our All Amercian DE.) That game was in Athens too, so that helped their defense out a whole lot. Though, we also beat them up on the ground game, Lattimore had 176 yards on 27 carries

Again, he played in 7 games. He was smoked vs the one team that was good. He beat the other teams he was supposed to beat. My guess is that USC was favored in all those games EXCEPT Arkansas, right?

Kentucky, come on.

Miss State, was there a bigger disappoint of a team in the SEC this year?

Tennessee, No bowl game right?

Arkansas, curb stomped, right?

Florida, see the Miss State comment

The Citadel, next

Clemson, USC beat the hell out of them.

Not trying to get in a pissing match, but who has Nebraska beaten thats so great? Michigan St? Great win and congrats but thats 1. If a 16 point loss to a top 10 team in the nation on the road is getting curb stomped, then what do you call your losses vs Wisconsin and Michigan??

I wouldn't classify Clemson as a good team when we played SC. We lost our mojo from earlier in the season and were playing terribly (see also the beating that Clemson took from nc state). Our defense hasn't been terribly good all year, so I would think that the best defense USC has seen would be UGA.

That would be accurate. What's lost in the final score of that game, 45-42, was that we scored 3 TD's from either Defense or Special Teams. We had a Fumble recovery by Ingram for a TD, a pick-6 by Allen, and a 68 yard fake punt TD by Ingram (our All Amercian DE.) That game was in Athens too, so that helped their defense out a whole lot. Though, we also beat them up on the ground game, Lattimore had 176 yards on 27 carries

Gilmore also returned a fumble to the 5 yard line.

Kentucky, come on.

Miss State, was there a bigger disappoint of a team in the SEC this year?

Tennessee, No bowl game right?

Arkansas, curb stomped, right?

Florida, see the Miss State comment

The Citadel, next

Clemson, USC beat the hell out of them.

Not trying to get in a pissing match, but who has Nebraska beaten thats so great? Michigan St? Great win and congrats but thats 1. If a 16 point loss to a top 10 team in the nation on the road is getting curb stomped, then what do you call your losses vs Wisconsin and Michigan??

You are correct. We have ONE quality win. Luckily, that total will double on Jan 2nd. :D