How did Ohio pull this off?

zeWilbur

Regardless of it's current frequency..........................I surely don't recall this being allowed in the past.................................Why wouldn't others (including ourselves) have applied for this during coaching transitions previously........??

Not saying it's necessarily nefarious, just the first I've heard of it....................

one pretty big factor is probably the out going staff and their feelings and connections to the school, when Callahan and his staff got dumped by Nebraska they probably just said, "screw it, we're done here", the current OSU staff LOVES OSU and probably has no problem waiting for their other/future opportunities until their job is done, how long they are under contract until may also play into it, even though it's a huge advantage, it's allowable under NCAA rules so there's nothing wrong with it, and I can't believe I've never heard of this before, it is obviously the best of both worlds for the program and is just a smart move, nothing more, nothing less...

at this point, Meyer and only one other coach (?) are the only additions to the current OSU staff, not quite the two complete staffs that has been represented in the media thus far, the waiver says that they CAN have two complete staffs, and maybe at some point they will have that, but as of right now it's just Meyer his new QB coach, similar to when Michigan hired Rodriguez, who came to Ann Arbor on his own while everyone else on his staff prepared for the Oklahoma game and coached in the game, after which some of them joined him in Ann Arbor...

Ahhhh...........that makes things a little clearer..................thanks...............

Ann Arbor got the same deal when they hired Rich Rod in 2007

Are you sure about this? Because if it is true, that makes the complaining from Brandon a bit hypocritical. Even if he wasn't the guy there at the time.

http://espn.go.com/c...-coaches-waiver

But there is a difference between a coach simply being fired and a coach resigning amid scandal.

He did not bring that up. According to the email, he says it does not promote a level playing field to allow two coaching staffs. Nothing about this isn't right because the coach got fired on account of a violation. While there very well may be a difference, that is not what Brandon is talking about.

Are you sure about this? Because if it is true, that makes the complaining from Brandon a bit hypocritical. Even if he wasn't the guy there at the time.

But there is a difference between a coach simply being fired and a coach resigning amid scandal.

He did not bring that up. According to the email, he says it does not promote a level playing field to allow two coaching staffs. Nothing about this isn't right because the coach got fired on account of a violation. While there very well may be a difference, that is not what Brandon is talking about.

I understand that, it was just more of my opinion and I think if he was going to argue against the waiver that is probably what he should have argued. If OSU didn't have any violations I wouldn't have any problem with this, but things what they are it just doesn't seem kosher.

I understand that, it was just more of my opinion and I think if he was going to argue against the waiver that is probably what he should have argued. If OSU didn't have any violations I wouldn't have any problem with this, but things what they are it just doesn't seem kosher.

Please explain to me how Terrelle Pryor has anything to do with Urban Meyer.

Please explain to me how Terrelle Pryor has anything to do with Urban Meyer.

They are both affiliated with OSU and Urban is there in large part because of what Terrelle Pryor did and didn't do. Explain to me how USC loses scholi's and post season play for something that occurred 4 or 5 years ago while OSU hires a new head coach and he is allowed to have his staff operate for the university while the old staff remains for the post season, after multiple major violations?

I get that this is common practice, but this is an uncommon situation. I really don't have an axe to grind against Ohio State it's more of a beef with the NCAA. If they operated with any kind of consistency this wouldn't be happening. But the NCAA operating with consistency is about as likely as GSG finding a girl.

Comparing USC to OSU is silly in three ways.

First of all, money. A house was involved with Reggie Bush(and OJ Mayo was in on funny business). A house in the greater Los Angeles area is quite the big transaction. OSU was about selling their stuff and getting tats(actually it was about the Tressel lie in December but he got his for the mistake)

Second, OSU actually joined in with the investigation and worked with the NCAA. USC denied and didn't help the NCAA in any way with their investigation.

Third, USC didn't have anyone to punish, OSU has punished everyone involved except for Gene Smith.

Reggie Bush and Pete Carroll were gone at USC. At OSU Tress,Thomas,Boom,Posey,TP and Adams were all either hit with suspensions or being banished/fired.

Comparing USC to OSU is silly in three ways.

First of all, money. A house was involved with Reggie Bush(and OJ Mayo was in on funny business). A house in the greater Los Angeles area is quite the big transaction. OSU was about selling their stuff and getting tats(actually it was about the Tressel lie in December but he got his for the mistake)

Second, OSU actually joined in with the investigation and worked with the NCAA. USC denied and didn't help the NCAA in any way with their investigation.

Third, USC didn't have anyone to punish, OSU has punished everyone involved except for Gene Smith.

Reggie Bush and Pete Carroll were gone at USC. At OSU Tress,Thomas,Boom,Posey,TP and Adams were all either hit with suspensions or being banished/fired.

First money shouldn't matter per se, a violation is a violation is a violation and there needs to be some relative consistency between them. USC violations were MAJOR no doubt and they had the hammer dropped on them for it as they should. I also think OSU self imposed sanctions are pretty reasonable and they probably don't deserve to have much if anything added to them by the NCAA. But if you're going to take away scholarships and affect recruiting then why not just do with out this waiver? It looks better for all involved.

Second they may have complied with the initial allegations and the following investigation which is all well and good, but the school has also been slapped with a failure to monitor charge which is a pretty serious one. Like I said the NCAA doesn't show any consistency but the most recent case involving Boise State tennis (obviously a less visible program) resulted in show cause for the former coaches, meaning they had restrictions put on their recruiting at any NCAA program, and a post season ban for the team. Different case and circumstances I know, but just shows that this isn't a violation that can be taken lightly. And the OSU violation isn't something that can be pinned on Tressel alone this involves the atheltic department and how they inform and monitor athletes.

Third this isn't about punishing people but punishing the institution. I don't really agree with taking the post season away from kids who are 4 or more years removed from what happened and as a result of the sanctions are now paying for someone else's transgressions. But this really wouldn't be that steep of a punishment and it wouldn't affect any current players who haven't done anything wrong or have already payed restituition. I mean how far back would it be setting OSU and how far would it go in helping the NCAA's reputation?

USC and Boise St. both involved multiple sports at the same time.

Ohio State was just football.

The allegations did in fact affect recruiting. We had decommits for this year. The sanctions already affected the institution as well (well at least the football program part of it). This would have been a national championship run year had Posey, Boom, Pryor, etc. been playing. Looks better for everyone involved? I guarantee you every single team that has had a regime change regardless of sanctions or not has used this waiver. Again, you're only hearing about it because it's Ohio State.

You also don't know the full sanctions yet (last I heard, we will hear about them by Christmas) How do you know that Tressel (the only one proven to know anything about this) won't have a show cause put on him? The FTM wasn't monitoring the athletes. It was leveraged due to a single booster. The FTM had nothing to do with the tattoos. It had to do with jobs.

As stated already, this was already a pretty steep punishment. Ohio State lost it's coach, it's star QB, those involved that are still playing lost a last push to impress NFL scouts. Posey had only one game in regular season to give NFL scouts something to watch. They lost out on what was almost assuredly a National Championship run or at least a BCS bowl (read millions of dollars)

You don't see how taking post season away would affect the institution? Loss of recruits, loss of money.

from what I hear Se'von Pittman and a PSU DT have officially flipped, I wonder how many more Meyer can get before the dead period starts, this is getting interesting...

Word is that Dodson, the OT from Cleveland, is leaning Bucks after a soft verbal to Wisky in November. He made an official visit on Friday.

It's gonna be interesting because we are still focusing on Diamond from Chicago, Brionte(who is soft verbal OSU right now), Spence out of PA, and guys like Diggs on the east coast(there are a few more but It's going to be first come first served since we only have a handful of spots left)

After losing a lot of guys in the summer we might make this into a undisputed top-10 class :D(Scout has us at #10 and Rivals has us at #13).

USC and Boise St. both involved multiple sports at the same time.

Ohio State was just football.

which is why I said they were different cases and circumstances I was just using it as an example of the severity.

The allegations did in fact affect recruiting. We had decommits for this year. The sanctions already affected the institution as well (well at least the football program part of it). This would have been a national championship run year had Posey, Boom, Pryor, etc. been playing. Looks better for everyone involved? I guarantee you every single team that has had a regime change regardless of sanctions or not has used this waiver. Again, you're only hearing about it because it's Ohio State.

Not disputing anything about the affects on recruiting.

You also don't know the full sanctions yet (last I heard, we will hear about them by Christmas) How do you know that Tressel (the only one proven to know anything about this) won't have a show cause put on him? The FTM wasn't monitoring the athletes. It was leveraged due to a single booster. The FTM had nothing to do with the tattoos. It had to do with jobs.

I would fully expect Tressel to receive a show cause and I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise. And there isn't really another reason to charge a school with FTM other than not monitoring the athletes. The school failed to make sure athletes weren't affiliating with the booster and failed to educate athletes about the booster despite concerns relating to that booster. Yes it's a seperate case but it happened while they were already under a microscope and that doesn't look good in anyone's eyes outside of Columbus.

As stated already, this was already a pretty steep punishment. Ohio State lost it's coach, it's star QB, those involved that are still playing lost a last push to impress NFL scouts. Posey had only one game in regular season to give NFL scouts something to watch. They lost out on what was almost assuredly a National Championship run or at least a BCS bowl (read millions of dollars)

I don't dispute any of this, like I said before I think all their self imposed punishments are pretty righteous. The national championship and BCS claim is almost completely irrelevant there is no way to know what would have happened and they're still playing in a bowl game.

You don't see how taking post season away would affect the institution? Loss of recruits, loss of money.

I didn't write that out very clearly, what I meant was I don't agree with taking the post season away from people who had nothing to do with the violations (which is what would be happening if they do it now) and that foregoing the waiver wouldn't have a long lasting financial or performance hit on the university, especially with the name that they have now.