How did Ohio pull this off?

zeWilbur

Dude, you should read the article you posted.

It says right there IT'S NOT ALL THAT UNUSUAL TO GET THIS WAIVER.

You are absolutely right. It does say that. Anything I read from ESPN is take with a grain of salt. So my intent was to bounce the idea off people that don't work for ESPN to test the waters. I should have been clearer. The intent was not to rabble rouse. Sorry for the confusion.

This is listed (now) in the B1G forum so I didn't expect much confusion...

That being said, I have never been able to accept any time someone/thing demands that 'the' be put in their name . It always came off as pretentious. Especially when you have six campuses.

So you misnamed Ohio State as Ohio because you find it pretentious that the schools official name is The Ohio State University and found it less confusing to instead call it by the name of another University coached by a former Husker?

I guess it's my fault really...it was probably too much to expect more from those who are abbreviationally (made up words are fun!) challenged in regards to their own school. :)

BTW North Carolina received the same waiver.

But hey, 'Ohio' is still more than you ever got out of Schembechler.. :-)

You seem to have forgotten Bo was an Ohio State coach for 6 years, received his Master's from the school and revered Woody.

That's cute how MU fans call OSU "Ohio" now that Brady Hoke does.

I_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg

Regardless of it's current frequency..........................I surely don't recall this being allowed in the past.................................Why wouldn't others (including ourselves) have applied for this during coaching transitions previously........??

Not saying it's necessarily nefarious, just the first I've heard of it....................

Regardless of it's current frequency..........................I surely don't recall this being allowed in the past.................................Why wouldn't others (including ourselves) have applied for this during coaching transitions previously........??

Not saying it's necessarily nefarious, just the first I've heard of it....................

That's because hating Ohio State is the in thing on ESPN. So anything they can spin as cheating, they'll post it up on their website. Illinois and UNC are doing it right now. Michigan did it back in 2007. Anytime a team hires a new coach prior to the bowl games, they more than likely have asked for this to be waived. It really isn't news worthy and is very common.

one pretty big factor is probably the out going staff and their feelings and connections to the school, when Callahan and his staff got dumped by Nebraska they probably just said, "screw it, we're done here", the current OSU staff LOVES OSU and probably has no problem waiting for their other/future opportunities until their job is done, how long they are under contract until may also play into it, even though it's a huge advantage, it's allowable under NCAA rules so there's nothing wrong with it, and I can't believe I've never heard of this before, it is obviously the best of both worlds for the program and is just a smart move, nothing more, nothing less...

at this point, Meyer and only one other coach (?) are the only additions to the current OSU staff, not quite the two complete staffs that has been represented in the media thus far, the waiver says that they CAN have two complete staffs, and maybe at some point they will have that, but as of right now it's just Meyer his new QB coach, similar to when Michigan hired Rodriguez, who came to Ann Arbor on his own while everyone else on his staff prepared for the Oklahoma game and coached in the game, after which some of them joined him in Ann Arbor...