Stats Check: 2010 Taylor vs 2011 Taylor

Nexus

He has improved a lot this year, but doesn't play well in big games.

Wisc was the only really bad game he had this year. The rest of the time he was somewhere between OK and good. Northwestern he played well, the defense gave the game away, and Mich was a total team failure.

Ohio State was the only game I was impressed, and I was very impressed. Other games he did play from OK to good besides Wisscy and Mich, but those were two big games. I'd like us to let him throw more on the run and not be under center as much. Abdullah, Turner, Rex, Bell, Enunwa are all guys that need the ball and only Rex received those touches.

Agree about the use of personnel which is a Beck issue. I also don't like his use of Martinez in the run game most of the time. The old school option stuff gets the fans going from a nostalgia standpoint but doesn't suit Martinez's running skill which is a straight ahead burst or nothing. Zone read option suits him much better but then he will do things like run into the back of three linemen and completely miss a hole like he did in the Michigan game when they run it. Even with that I think that is what he is best suited for. He did manage to limit mistakes after the Wisconsin game but I'd like the coaches to try and turn him loose and be a real threat again. If he's all we've got at QB then let Taylor be Taylor.

He has improved a lot this year, but doesn't play well in big games.

Wisc was the only really bad game he had this year. The rest of the time he was somewhere between OK and good. Northwestern he played well, the defense gave the game away, and Mich was a total team failure.

Ohio State was the only game I was impressed, and I was very impressed. Other games he did play from OK to good besides Wisscy and Mich, but those were two big games. I'd like us to let him throw more on the run and not be under center as much. Abdullah, Turner, Rex, Bell, Enunwa are all guys that need the ball and only Rex received those touches.

Agree about the use of personnel which is a Beck issue. I also don't like his use of Martinez in the run game most of the time. The old school option stuff gets the fans going from a nostalgia standpoint but doesn't suit Martinez's running skill which is a straight ahead burst or nothing. Zone read option suits him much better but then he will do things like run into the back of three linemen and completely miss a hole like he did in the Michigan game when they run it. Even with that I think that is what he is best suited for. He did manage to limit mistakes after the Wisconsin game but I'd like the coaches to try and turn him loose and be a real threat again. If he's all we've got at QB then let Taylor be Taylor.

Very true. To execute the option, you need to have a physical guy playing QB. Martinez is not that guy. The QB needs to step up and into traffic in order to force the edge to commit to him or the RB. Martinez runs back and out instead of into pursuit and outside. He doesn't really force the pursuit to commit as more often than not, Martinez runs towards the RB.

I a hoping that in the bowl game he is unleashed. There are no more games left this season so no real reason to "protect" him by the staff. Let him go at it 100%. I am sure there are significant designed QB runs we haven't seen or Beck wasn't willing to run do to fear of an injury.

I thought T-Mart had a LOT better year this year than last. He was more of a team leader. And the stats seem to compare favorably. If you look at them closely. His running stats are down a bit. But nearly all of T-Mart's 2010 running stats came in the first few warm-up games. Great highlights, but not very meaningful numbers. Also, turnovers are down a bit this year. Same number of interceptions (7) on about 40% more passes. And last year we had 45 fumbles (whole team) versus 31 fumbles this year.

I thought he had a lot better last season than this. Last season he flashed a ton of big play ability before an injury limited his effectiveness severely in the last stretch of the season and threw his progression off track.

This year he tried to play within the confines of the offense more, and I don't know if it's quantifiable that he was a better leader this year than last year. I guess that's the general impression. He went to pressers and threw his receivers under the bus. I can't reconcile that with all the 'better leader' talk, but most people here look at what he said and write it off as just 'well, it's true.' Yes, but it isn't the point.

I think Taylor played smarter this year, for the most part, but he also became a lot more limited. And very rarely was he able to flash the same big play potential he demonstrated last year.

You talk about how Taylor's rushing stats were inflated by his OOC slate last season. Without an ankle injury that severely hampered his game this year, Taylor accumulated 46 of his 172 carries for 309 of his 837 yards and 6 of his 9 TDs in three games against UTC, Fresno State, and Wyoming. He averaged 4.2 ypc the rest of the way, and only scored two TDs on the ground after the month of September

Point is, he still has a long way to go. Ohio State was an outstanding game.

• Fire 1

I thought T-Mart had a LOT better year this year than last. He was more of a team leader. And the stats seem to compare favorably. If you look at them closely. His running stats are down a bit. But nearly all of T-Mart's 2010 running stats came in the first few warm-up games. Great highlights, but not very meaningful numbers. Also, turnovers are down a bit this year. Same number of interceptions (7) on about 40% more passes. And last year we had 45 fumbles (whole team) versus 31 fumbles this year.

I thought he had a lot better last season than this. Last season he flashed a ton of big play ability before an injury limited his effectiveness severely in the last stretch of the season and threw his progression off track.

This year he tried to play within the confines of the offense more, and I don't know if it's quantifiable that he was a better leader this year than last year. I guess that's the general impression. He went to pressers and threw his receivers under the bus. I can't reconcile that with all the 'better leader' talk, but most people here look at what he said and write it off as just 'well, it's true.' Yes, but it isn't the point.

I think Taylor played smarter this year, for the most part, but he also became a lot more limited. And very rarely was he able to flash the same big play potential he demonstrated last year.

You talk about how Taylor's rushing stats were inflated by his OOC slate last season. Without an ankle injury that severely hampered his game this year, Taylor accumulated 46 of his 172 carries for 309 of his 837 yards and 6 of his 9 TDs in three games against UTC, Fresno State, and Wyoming. He averaged 4.2 ypc the rest of the way, and only scored two TDs on the ground after the month of September

Point is, he still has a long way to go. Ohio State was an outstanding game.

Yeah, his running stats this year are inflated by the OOC games. But not as much as last year. (421 yds in first three games). It seems like our offense this year is a bit more run-pass balanced than last year--although I haven't looked up the stats for year over year, just the first three ooc games. And it seems like more of Taylor's runs this year have come when he's scrambling b/c he can't find any open receiver.

T-Mart did have more highlight runs last year. Especially the first couple of games. And K State--heh. But he took charge of the offense this year. And his passing, while still painful to watch, is better. Sometimes the QB doesn't need to be the one reeling off the youtube highlight runs in order to win the game for us.

Am I the only one who thinks Northwestern was his best game? I agree that stats are overrated. He is clearly playing the QB position better this year. Maybe not as fast, but is making better decisions with the ball.

Northwestern was his best full game. 2nd half of OSU was his best playing.

I agree with this, but during that Northwestern game his passes just seemed to be fairly surgical. He was throwing the ball well in that game, but for him to not fold up shop against OSU, that's what a QB HAS to do.

• Fire 1

Stats dont matter. If youve watched considerable minutes this year and cant honestly say that Taylor has grown into his role and improved, then you just dont know what youre watching.

:yeah

Somebody should look up the avg. rank of each defense we played in 2010 and 2011. I was far more impressed with Taylor's games against Ohio State and Michigan State in 2011 than I was with his games against Kansas State or Oklahoma State in 2010. The quality of defense he faced in 2011 was far superior to 2010.

Stats dont matter. If youve watched considerable minutes this year and cant honestly say that Taylor has grown into his role and improved, then you just dont know what youre watching.

:yeah

Somebody should look up the avg. rank of each defense we played in 2010 and 2011. I was far more impressed with Taylor's games against Ohio State and Michigan State in 2011 than I was with his games against Kansas State or Oklahoma State in 2010. The quality of defense he faced in 2011 was far superior to 2010.

Very good point, the schedule this season was brutal and to put up comparable numbers to last season shows that he's growing as a QB. The stats don't show that, but if you calculated the stats based on hardness of schedule, I bet they would be more impressive. Not sure how to someone would calculate that, but a statistics guru could probably figure out a way. I get a headache with the whole median, mean, etc. stuff..............

I did the stats of average team defense we faced this year vs. last year. The rankings go to 120 and both Chattanooga (2011) and South Dakota State (2010) were not in the top 120 so I just had them cancel each other out. So here you go.

2010 Average Rank of Defense we faced- 68.69

2011 Average Rank of Defense we faced- 53.09 (that is excluding the currently ranked #4 South Carolina Defense we will face soon)

Total Team Defense 2011

(South Carolina #4)

Michigan State #5

Wisconsin #8

Penn State #10

Michigan #18

Ohio State #25

Iowa #68

Minnesota #77

Northwestern #80

Washington #94

Wyoming #98

Fresno State #101

Chattanooga did not make top 120 which is all that ranked.

Total Team Defense 2010

Missouri #6

Texas A&M #27

Oklahoma #35

Texas #51

Oklahoma State #69

Idaho #73

Kansas State #75

Iowa State #76

Colorado #90

Washington X2 #94

Western Kentucky #99

Kansas #104

South Dakota State did not make top 120

I did the stats of average team defense we faced this year vs. last year. The rankings go to 120 and both Chattanooga (2011) and South Dakota State (2010) were not in the top 120 so I just had them cancel each other out. So here you go.

2011 Average Rank of Defense we faced- 53.09 (that is excluding the currently ranked #4 South Carolina Defense we will face soon)

Total Team Defense 2011

(South Carolina #4)

Michigan State #5

Wisconsin #8

Penn State #10

Michigan #18

Ohio State #25

Iowa #68

Minnesota #77

Northwestern #80

Washington #94

Wyoming #98

Fresno State #101

Total Team Defense 2010

Missouri #6

Texas A&M #27

Oklahoma #35

Texas #51

Oklahoma State #69

Idaho #73

Kansas State #75

Iowa State #76

Colorado #90

Washington X2 #94

Western Kentucky #99

Kansas #104

Thanks for your work so far................I went ahead and did the average defensive number of both season. Obviously we didn't have a championship game that we attended this year and I went ahead and left Washington out and South Carolina out, bowl games, so the numbers I was comparing were as close as possible. Can't help, but include Oklahoma in last years defensive hardness numbers. I came up with the following stats:

2010 average rank for defense: 66.58333

2011 average rank for defense: 53.09091

That's a pretty good difference IMO and shows that Taylor has gotten better this season despite the similar stats between 2010 and 2011.

If you take Oklahoma out of the equation from last year and compare the numbers they are:

2010 average rank for defense: 69.45455

Total Team Defense 2011

(South Carolina #4)

Michigan State #5

Wisconsin #8

Penn State #10

Michigan #18

Ohio State #25

Iowa #68

Minnesota #77

Northwestern #80

Washington #94

Wyoming #98

Fresno State #101

Total Team Defense 2010

Missouri #6

Texas A&M #27

Oklahoma #35

Texas #51

Oklahoma State #69

Idaho #73

Kansas State #75

Iowa State #76

Colorado #90

Washington X2 #94

Western Kentucky #99

Kansas #104

Thanks for your work so far................I went ahead and did the average defensive number of both season. Obviously we didn't have a championship game that we attended this year and I went ahead and left Washington out and South Carolina out, bowl games, so the numbers I was comparing were as close as possible. Can't help, but include Oklahoma in last years defensive hardness numbers. I came up with the following stats:

That's a pretty good difference IMO and shows that Taylor has gotten better this season despite the similar stats between 2010 and 2011.

If you take Oklahoma out of the equation from last year and compare the numbers they are:

You might also take into account that Taylor didn't play against Iowa State and Colorado last year. If you took those two games out, the numbers would be a little closer.

Total Team Defense 2011

(South Carolina #4)

Michigan State #5

Wisconsin #8

Penn State #10

Michigan #18

Ohio State #25

Iowa #68

Minnesota #77

Northwestern #80

Washington #94

Wyoming #98

Fresno State #101

Total Team Defense 2010

Missouri #6

Texas A&M #27

Oklahoma #35

Texas #51

Oklahoma State #69

Idaho #73

Kansas State #75

Iowa State #76

Colorado #90

Washington X2 #94

Western Kentucky #99

Kansas #104

You might also take into account that Taylor didn't play against Iowa State and Colorado last year. If you took those two games out, the numbers would be a little closer.

This is true and I thought of it but then to be fair we would have to take out the time vs Texas, Texas A&M and Missouri (I believe he missed time after getting stepped on) out.

Total Team Defense 2011

(South Carolina #4)

Michigan State #5

Wisconsin #8

Penn State #10

Michigan #18

Ohio State #25

Iowa #68

Minnesota #77

Northwestern #80

Washington #94

Wyoming #98

Fresno State #101

Total Team Defense 2010

Missouri #6

Texas A&M #27

Oklahoma #35

Texas #51

Oklahoma State #69

Idaho #73

Kansas State #75

Iowa State #76

Colorado #90

Washington X2 #94

Western Kentucky #99

Kansas #104

This is true and I thought of it but then to be fair we would have to take out the time vs Texas, Texas A&M and Missouri (I believe he missed time after getting stepped on) out.

For simplicity purposes this obviously works, but if someone wants to take the time to get that specific I would be interested in seeing what the numbers end up being.