Gamecocks cut 6 scholies for Major Violations

NUance

South Carolina will cut 6 football scholarships

Posted: Wednesday December 14, 2011 10:55 PM

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - South Carolina told the NCAA it agrees that major violations took place in its football program and will eliminate six football scholarships over the next three years as part of several self-imposed penalties.

The school released its response Wednesday, three months after the NCAA said the Gamecocks received $55,000 in improper benefits for staying at a Columbia hotel at a reduced rate. The NCAA also noted the university's improper involvement with a Delaware-based mentoring group whose president and treasurer are boosters and South Carolina graduates.

LINK

What is it with these cheating SEC schools anyway??

Meh, The 1st charge didn't even help us again any on-field advantage. Was kids already playing for us getting some discount at a hotel. Didn't help recruiting or anything. So its like we cheated during a season that we went 7-6 in apparently.

The other one is slightly more confusing because of an organization, that the NCAA knew existed, was created to help the poorer area kids get recognized by schools and try to find them offers somewhere. Problem is since 2 of the operators are SC alumni.. when 1 of the organization's kids comes here it looks bad. Because of it that particular commit couldn't play for the 1st 4 games or so this season.

Either way, I'm hoping compared to what benefits and crap that have been shown at OSU and UNC and with the NCAA with its hands full they'll just accept these self-imposed penalties and move on.

The Whitney Hotel thing wasn't really the athletes fault, they were given the OK by the compliance officer, b/c she saw that they would be spending the same amount of money if they were living in an apartment. She's since been demoted.

The SAM thing, I have a big problem with. SAM is an organization who reaches out to poor inner city youth athletes and tries to help them get to college. Its design and intentions are noble, and we weren't the only school who had students come from SAM visits (Shariff Floyd used SAM and went to UF). Since when did helping the less fortunate become a punishable offense?!?! Yeah, I have a problem with that.

Meh, The 1st charge didn't even help us again any on-field advantage. Was kids already playing for us getting some discount at a hotel. Didn't help recruiting or anything. So its like we cheated during a season that we went 7-6 in apparently.

So *that* is your excuse? That it's okay to cheat so long as you are incompetent at it and it doesn't produce any advantage.

The other one is slightly more confusing because of an organization, that the NCAA knew existed, was created to help the poorer area kids get recognized by schools and try to find them offers somewhere. Problem is since 2 of the operators are SC alumni.. when 1 of the organization's kids comes here it looks bad. Because of it that particular commit couldn't play for the 1st 4 games or so this season.

Newsflash: When you pretend to run a charitable organization, but then filter out the best kids and send them to your alma mater, it's called CHEATING.

Either way, I'm hoping compared to what benefits and crap that have been shown at OSU and UNC and with the NCAA with its hands full they'll just accept these self-imposed penalties and move on.

Translation: Since some other school cheated even worse let's hope the ncaa bureaucrats are so busy they'll just let the Gamecocks slide by. Nice logic.

THIS is what you're saying:

The Whitney Hotel thing wasn't really the athletes fault, they were given the OK by the compliance officer, b/c she saw that they would be spending the same amount of money if they were living in an apartment. She's since been demoted.

The SAM thing, I have a big problem with. SAM is an organization who reaches out to poor inner city youth athletes and tries to help them get to college. Its design and intentions are noble, and we weren't the only school who had students come from SAM visits (Shariff Floyd used SAM and went to UF). Since when did helping the less fortunate become a punishable offense?!?! Yeah, I have a problem with that.

THIS is what I'm hearing:

blah blah blah / excuse / excuse / rationalization / blah blah blah

While I can see how that might makes sense at first glance, it'd be pretty easy to see that the hotel didn't offer those rates to just anyone.

One anonymous phone call to the hotel, explaining your looking for extended stay rates because you're in town on business for 9 months or whatever. If they don't offer the businessman the same rate as the student-athlete - it's a benefit.

If you're a compliance officer and it's your job to check on these things, and you OK this... you're either incompetent or you're complicit in the CONSPIRACY! :ahhhhhhhh

FWIW, these are proposed self imposed penalties. We'll see what the NCAA does with it.

Overbooking dorms is a pretty common occurrence. When my sister was a freshman at S.C. in the mid 1980's she had to stay in a hotel for about 3-4 weeks because her apartment wasn't ready for her to move in. (It was a new building). How it's handled by the school is something totally different.

If you look at what happened at Ohio State, and what they offered as penalty, the offenses aren't as big and the punishment is bigger here. I'm willing to take our lumps....

If you look at what happened at Ohio State, and what they offered as penalty, the offenses aren't as big and the punishment is bigger here. I'm willing to take our lumps....

Uhhh, no. Not even close.

Gamecocks cheating: $55,000 in improper hotel benefits (plus) four ineligible football players played (plus) $3,350 dinner cruise for recruits (plus) pretending to run a charitable organization then filtering out the best kids and directing them to USC

tOSU cheating: players traded autographs for tattoos; coaches failed to report it.

Personally, I'm surprised to see "this" as a penalty. There seems to be a number of avenues the SEC teams do to cheat that are far worse ... and they get away with it ... and ESPN turns a blind eye ... and the NCAA doesn't seem that concerned about it.

It's one of the reasons I dont consider the SEC as the best conference ... I take into account all the cheating.

THIS is what you're saying:

THIS is what I'm hearing:

blah blah blah / excuse / excuse / rationalization / blah blah blah

Yeah, but you left out where I said blah ba-blah-blah-bl-bl-blah, yackety shmackety. Our program broke the rules, the athletes weren't really at fault, they were failed by the compliance office. You know these kind of mistakes happen everywhere, even in Lincoln, as recent as this year.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/07/nebraska-ncaa-violation-textbooks/1

What's important is that the people guilty understand their faults, are punished, and find ways to stop the mistakes from happening again.

whin297l.jpg

• Fire 3
Our program broke the rules, the athletes weren't really at fault, they were failed by the compliance office. You know these kind of mistakes happen everywhere, even in Lincoln, as recent as this year.

Fair enough. If I understand you, you claim that NU may have committed some sort of unknown violations. So NU fans shouldn’t criticize USC?

Well let’s look at this year’s scandals for the two schools to get a perspective:

Things NU fans are up in arms about: some players were given the recommended textbooks for their courses instead of just the required text books. Another kid slides his smartcar on the ice, and walks home. Another kid gets busted by the LPD for keeping warm in his car, and he blows 0.1 bac—which is about 2 ½ beers.

NCAA violation that (some) USC fans see no problem with: $55,000 improper hotel benefits to players. Recruiting violations. Ineligible players. Running a sham charitable organization to direct recruits to USC

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be a bit of a disconnect between what constitutes a scandal in Lincoln and the multiple NCAA Violations being orchestrated by the folks in Columbia and their fat-wallet boosters.

• Fire 1

Player X to recruit: "Hell yeah, here at USC we get the hook up, even sweet hotel rooms basically for free"

Player Y to recruit: "Hell yeah, here at Nebraska we get the hook up, we even get all the books we need for our classes for free"

Think about moron, one kind sells a recruit, one kind of makes you sound like you work in a nerdery. Both are defined as "wrong" sure but one is different from the other.

Player X to recruit: "Hell yeah, here at USC we get the hook up, even sweet hotel rooms basically for free"

Player Y to recruit: "Hell yeah, here at Nebraska we get the hook up, we even get all the books we need for our classes for free"

Think about moron, one kind sells a recruit, one kind of makes you sound like you work in a nerdery. Both are defined as "wrong" sure but one is different from the other.

Exactly what kind of work gets done in a nerdery?

• Fire 1

<p>

</p>

<p>

Our program broke the rules, the athletes weren't really at fault, they were failed by the compliance office. You know these kind of mistakes happen everywhere, even in Lincoln, as recent as this year.
</p>

<p>Fair enough. If I understand you, you claim that NU may have committed some sort of unknown violations. So NU fans shouldn’t criticize USC?</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Well let’s look at this year’s scandals for the two schools to get a perspective:</p>

<p> </p>

<p><strong><u>Things NU fans are up in arms about</u>:</strong> some players were given the <em>recommended</em> textbooks for their courses instead of just the required text books. Another kid slides his smartcar on the ice, and walks home. Another kid gets busted by the LPD for keeping warm in his car, and he blows 0.1 bac—which is about 2 ½ beers.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><strong><u>NCAA violation that (some) USC fans see no problem with</u>:</strong> $55,000 improper hotel benefits to players. Recruiting violations. Ineligible players. Running a sham charitable organization to direct recruits to USC</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be a bit of a disconnect between what constitutes a scandal in Lincoln and the multiple NCAA <span style="font-size: 14px;">Violations</span> being orchestrated by the folks in Columbia and their fat-wallet boosters.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yeah you're wrong on a couple points.</p>

<p>1.) Fat Wallet boosters had nothing to do with this. (That's osu,miss state, or allbarn you're thinking of)</p>

<p>2.) SAM is not a sham, it's a good organization that does not just send kids to USC. It creates opportunity for inner city youth athletes to visit schools, like Shariif Floyd at UF.</p>

<p>3.) I never said anything about NU's recent players arrests/tickets in comparison to our violations. (we all have players who make bad decisions with alcohol and/or driving.)</p>

<p>4.) NU did commit those violations and admitted it. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>My point is: the idea of a perfect/clean program is great and every organization should aspire to that and have controls in place to execute on that ideal. However, almost all programs make mistakes (I couldn't find any record of a single program that has never had an NCAA violation, and my guess is that there is not,) so you're right in saying that what we did is wrong, but to paint USC in a picture of scandal and conspiracy is incorrect. USC never tried to hide this infraction from the NCAA, they were forthright with the error, and offered self imposed penalties (including punishing the compliance officer at fault.) Whether or not the NCAA accepts them, we won't know until February or later.</p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>