Bowl Game

http://games.espn.go.com/college-bowl-mania/en/story?pageName=bowlmania\2011picks

Wow, doom and gloom, woe is me, the sky is falling, the world is ending. I hope Nebraska comes out inspired and shocks "the world"

South Carolina (30) over Nebraska: Capital One Bowl, Jan. 2 PickCenter Matchup in.gif

South Carolina didn't win the SEC East this year, but the Gamecocks beat every team in the division and won 10 games for just the second time in school history. That wasn't surprising, since this is the best era in the 120-year history of the program and the team entered the season as the division favorite. What's surprising is that Carolina accomplished this despite the midseason loss of a preseason Heisman candidate at running back and the SEC's most accomplished returning quarterback. Losing Marcus Lattimore and Stephen Garcia caused Steve Spurrier to rely on the team's outstanding defense, and it wasn't until the final game of the season that the offense showed true progress with Connor Shaw under center. The blowout of rival Clemson validated Spurrier as an adaptable offensive mastermind and Shaw as a player who can lead the team to greater heights next season. Carolina has limped into -- and subsequently tanked in -- its past three bowl games. This year, on the heels of a landmark performance by Shaw, the team is buying into its future like never before. The team's attitude entering the postseason is different this year, partly because it's the most prestigious postseason assignment in school history but largely because what Shaw did against Clemson has made him the real leader of the team for the first time. With the offense on the upswing and a defensive front that's the beneficiary of a mismatch against a weak Nebraska offensive line, Carolina is confident heading into this matchup. That's a lot more than can be said of Nebraska, which after four years is only starting to realize that the program is failing under Bo Pelini. The 66th-ranked rush defense is not as advertised; the coach's right-hand man is out the door for a Sun Belt gig; and the offense -- under mercurial triggerman Taylor Martinez and the weakest offensive staff in the Big Ten -- has yet to craft an identity and is primarily defined by its lack of ball security. These programs are moving in opposite directions.

Wow. Too add onto this. A bowl show group also laughed when someone asked about the challenge that Nebr's WR corp will have for So Car DB's. They said what challenge?

:rolleyes:

Pretty fair assessment really. I doubt Nebraska will do much damage with the pass.

USC is the #2 Pass Defense in the country (only Bama is better) and number 5 in the country when it comes to getting interceptions. (133 ypg and 18 INTS). While NU is #104 in national passing with just over 160 ypg. Granted NU isn't really geared toward the pass anyhow but come on, your top WR has only 4 TD's and just barely 400 yards on the season. USC won't get lit up at all.

That's why I find the predictions you guys are making to be kind of laughable.

Here are some numbers you all have predicted through the air that I find unlikely:

200 - NUance

185 - NebraskaDrumline

210 - huskered17

210 - kansas husker

190 - Hammerhead

210 - Mavric

190 - Wolverineslappy

NU will need to lean on the run to win this game and fortunately for them USC is weaker in this area. (but still not bad, 45th nationally)

• Fire 2

Wow. Too add onto this. A bowl show group also laughed when someone asked about the challenge that Nebr's WR corp will have for So Car DB's. They said what challenge?

Pretty fair assessment really. I doubt Nebraska will do much damage with the pass.

USC is the #2 Pass Defense in the country (only Bama is better) and number 5 in the country when it comes to getting interceptions. (133 ypg and 18 INTS). While NU is #104 in national passing with just over 160 ypg. Granted NU isn't really geared toward the pass anyhow but come on, your top WR has only 4 TD's and just barely 400 yards on the season. USC won't get lit up at all.

Here are some numbers you all have predicted through the air that I find unlikely:

200 - NUance

185 - NebraskaDrumline

210 - huskered17

210 - kansas husker

190 - Hammerhead

210 - Mavric

190 - Wolverineslappy

NU will need to lean on the run to win this game and fortunately for them USC is weaker in this area. (but still not bad, 45th nationally)

Two things - our passing game improved as the year went on. Not great but servicable.

Second, part of the reason our passing stats are so low is we spent the entire second half of several games running the ball and barely attempting a pass - Washington, Wyoming, Michigan St., Penn St. and Iowa didn't see many Husker passes in the last 30 minutes.

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, but I think we'll have to pass more against SC and have enough WRs (plus Reed, hopefully) to make some noise through the air.

http://games.espn.go...mania\2011picks

Wow, doom and gloom, woe is me, the sky is falling, the world is ending. I hope Nebraska comes out inspired and shocks "the world"

South Carolina (30) over Nebraska: Capital One Bowl, Jan. 2PickCenter Matchupin.gif

South Carolina didn't win the SEC East this year, but the Gamecocks beat every team in the division and won 10 games for just the second time in school history. That wasn't surprising, since this is the best era in the 120-year history of the program and the team entered the season as the division favorite. What's surprising is that Carolina accomplished this despite the midseason loss of a preseason Heisman candidate at running back and the SEC's most accomplished returning quarterback. Losing Marcus Lattimore and Stephen Garcia caused Steve Spurrier to rely on the team's outstanding defense, and it wasn't until the final game of the season that the offense showed true progress with Connor Shaw under center. The blowout of rival Clemson validated Spurrier as an adaptable offensive mastermind and Shaw as a player who can lead the team to greater heights next season. Carolina has limped into -- and subsequently tanked in -- its past three bowl games. This year, on the heels of a landmark performance by Shaw, the team is buying into its future like never before. The team's attitude entering the postseason is different this year, partly because it's the most prestigious postseason assignment in school history but largely because what Shaw did against Clemson has made him the real leader of the team for the first time. With the offense on the upswing and a defensive front that's the beneficiary of a mismatch against a weak Nebraska offensive line, Carolina is confident heading into this matchup. That's a lot more than can be said of Nebraska, which after four years is only starting to realize that the program is failing under Bo Pelini. The 66th-ranked rush defense is not as advertised; the coach's right-hand man is out the door for a Sun Belt gig; and the offense -- under mercurial triggerman Taylor Martinez and the weakest offensive staff in the Big Ten -- has yet to craft an identity and is primarily defined by its lack of ball security. These programs are moving in opposite directions.

This assessment is harsh... but as much as I am a Husker fan as anyone... I think the assessment is accurate. Can we really find factual error regarding this assessment? Not really. We are headed in the wrong direction (or, at best, just stagnating as a fringe top 25 team). If we lose to USC, which is very, very likely, we will, once again, end up barely ranked or barely unranked (which is what I expected before the season began... but still... this has been and continues to be NU's lot)

In any event, South Carolina should be heavily, heavily favored in this game. Of the national guys who are "impartial" (which, for the most part they are) -- has anyone predicted that NU will beat USC? All that I have seen have hedged between USC handily winning to USC in a blowout. Seems reasonable a prediction.

I hope otherwise re: the bowl and I wish otherwise re: the assessment ... but we do not always get what we desire. It is what it is.

South Carolina (30) over Nebraska: Capital One Bowl, Jan. 2PickCenter Matchupin.gif

This assessment is harsh... but as much as I am a Husker fan as anyone... I think the assessment is accurate. Can we really find factual error regarding this assessment? Not really. We are headed in the wrong direction (or, at best, just stagnating as a fringe top 25 team). If we lose to USC, which is very, very likely, we will, once again, end up barely ranked or barely unranked (which is what I expected before the season began... but still... this has been and continues to be NU's lot)

In any event, South Carolina should be heavily, heavily favored in this game. Of the national guys who are "impartial" (which, for the most part they are) -- has anyone predicted that NU will beat USC? All that I have seen have hedged between USC handily winning to USC in a blowout. Seems reasonable a prediction.

I hope otherwise re: the bowl and I wish otherwise re: the assessment ... but we do not always get what we desire. It is what it is.

And why wouldn't they? They have a better record, play in the lovable SEC and are much more highly ranked. Won't stop everyone from complaining if we lose, though.

200 - NUance

185 - NebraskaDrumline

210 - huskered17

210 - kansas husker

190 - Hammerhead

210 - Mavric

190 - Wolverineslappy

Not a fair assessment as they were specifically addressing the WR group not the passing game as a whole. The WR corp has speed in Bell, Reed and Turner. They can more than challenge their DB's. South Carolina's DB's are benefactors of a good pash rush, so it's the QB and front 5 that need to step up for this game. I expect them to help out the QB and OL by calling lots of run, quick passes/screens, but South Carolina's DB's better stay awake because somewhere in there they will play action.

and it ain"t good, if we can stay within 14 points, that would be a moral victory..........sad, but true.

All first time head coaches wish they could fail like Bo Pelini. For your program to have a disappointing year and play the kind of schedule we played, while transitioning to a new conference, and still win at least 9 games for the fourth year in a row... that's quite a loose definition of failure. Utterly ridiculous hyperbole.

All first time head coaches wish they could fail like Bo Pelini. For your program to have a disappointing year and play the kind of schedule we played, while transitioning to a new conference, and still win at least 9 games for the fourth year in a row... that's quite a loose definition of failure. Utterly ridiculous hyperbole.

You forgot to mention the embarrassment of having to play in the top non-BCS bowl game. Utter failure, really.

It's pointless to say..."oh because we played these teams our numbers are this or that way" and use it to lord over another team. USC can say largely the same thing, had they not played UGA & Arky their pass numbers would be far better...blah blah blah. At some point you just have to accept that behind the numbers that a team is strong or weak in something. USC can stop the Pass on all but the very good teams. NU is not one of those great passing teams. It is what it is.