Ohio State banned from postseason play in 2012

Nexus

The NCAA hit OSU with more sanctions today. Loss of 3 scolies, and no bowl game next year. IMO this is a load of crap. Every one connected with the infractions is no longer there. Why punish the young men who are there now? Just one more reason for the formation of four regional super conferences and withdrawl from the NCAA.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Here are my questions as we hopefully put this behind us:

Now if these sanction were issued/finalized a month ago, could OSU have been banned from its 2011 bowl (lower tier bowl with a 6-6 record)?

Did the NCAA intentially wait until after the bowl invitations had been set knowing a bowl ban would most likely be more severe next year vs this year?

Is there any chance Tressel coaches again? His name is pretty toxic now but what about 3-4 years from now? He is a decent coach and person who made a big mistake not reporting an infraction. I think the media laid it on extra thick given his squeeky clean do good image.

Now if these sanction were issued/finalized a month ago, could OSU have been banned from its 2011 bowl (lower tier bowl with a 6-6 record)?

Did the NCAA intentially wait until after the bowl invitations had been set knowing a bowl ban would most likely be more severe next year vs this year?

I have a hard time believing the NCAA intentionally slowed the process so they could force what is likely to be a bigger hit on Ohio State by banning them next year instead of this (if that was their intent they could have just made the ban for 2012 whenever the decision came down). I just don't think the NCAA is capable of being that Machievellian.

IMO this was a failure by AD in not self imposing a ban this year. As to whether the NCAA would have added a second year on top of that, I think it would be unlikely.

Is there any chance Tressel coaches again? His name is pretty toxic now but what about 3-4 years from now? He is a decent coach and person who made a big mistake not reporting an infraction. I think the media laid it on extra thick given his squeeky clean do good image.

I do know that Coach Tressel was planning on retiring in the next few years prior to this scandal. He was going to finish his career with Ohio State. As to whether this has caused him to rethink his plans and kindled a desire to not have things end this way I have no idea...but his original intent was to hang up the clipboard in the near future regardless.

I do believe that his reputation is strong enough within the community that if he does decide to coach again someone will give him a shot.

What's the word in Ohio Muck? How are Buckeye fans taking it?

The usual "OH NOES THE SKY IS FALLING!!" overreaction.

We're going to lose all our recruits, Meyer is going to leave...blah blah blah.

Pretty much what you'd expect.

That drives me nuts to see fanbases do that, especially a school like OSU. You all will be fine. One rough season this year and then a good year next year just with no postseason. Everything's going to be fine.

What's the word in Ohio Muck? How are Buckeye fans taking it?

The usual "OH NOES THE SKY IS FALLING!!" overreaction.

We're going to lose all our recruits, Meyer is going to leave...blah blah blah.

Pretty much what you'd expect.

Heck, you guys should be inured to this by now. The NCAA is making an art of making an example of the Buckeyes.

Here are my questions as we hopefully put this behind us:

Yes

Don't know, but I'm leaning towards yes as a direct result of them not being sure we were going this year in the first place.

No. He was supposed to retire in 2014 in the first place.