Doc's recruiting...........

Comish

Even with the facilities recruits won't come here with the current make up with the staff. What honestly really needs to happen is that Doc needs an assistant with STRONG AAU ties. TO is adamently against this. This is utter crap. 90% of the top teams in the nation have an assistant with some kind of strong former ties to AAU programs. People are kidding themselves if they think elsewise. Not everyone with ties to AAU is a snake. Secondly, DOc relies WAY to much on the JUCO route. Yes he has hit gold a couple of times mining that level, but WAY to many busts which has left him with far to much influx in his roster.

And for those questioning the Gessel commit to Iowa. Look no further than Wooodbury, another Iowa commit. He is a stud(turned down Carolina) and wanted to stay close to home, but also wanted to play with Gessel who was his AAU(there is that term AGAIN) teammate.

Bingo. IMO the basketball program won't amount to anything until TO retires. The AAU in college basketball is a necessary evil.

Did I miss the part where the basketball program was a juggernaut before TO got here?

Even with the facilities recruits won't come here with the current make up with the staff. What honestly really needs to happen is that Doc needs an assistant with STRONG AAU ties. TO is adamently against this. This is utter crap. 90% of the top teams in the nation have an assistant with some kind of strong former ties to AAU programs. People are kidding themselves if they think elsewise. Not everyone with ties to AAU is a snake. Secondly, DOc relies WAY to much on the JUCO route. Yes he has hit gold a couple of times mining that level, but WAY to many busts which has left him with far to much influx in his roster.

And for those questioning the Gessel commit to Iowa. Look no further than Wooodbury, another Iowa commit. He is a stud(turned down Carolina) and wanted to stay close to home, but also wanted to play with Gessel who was his AAU(there is that term AGAIN) teammate.

Bingo. IMO the basketball program won't amount to anything until TO retires. The AAU in college basketball is a necessary evil.

Did I miss the part where the basketball program was a juggernaut before TO got here?

So just because the program has sucked with the exception of the 1990's with our only good coach in Danny Nee, we shouldn't care about it and just allow it to keep on sucking? It's thinking like this that is not allowing the program to have a chance to be relevant.

• Fire 1

So just because the program has sucked with the exception of the 1990's with our only good coach in Danny Nee, we shouldn't care about it and just allow it to keep on sucking? It's thinking like this that is not allowing the program to have a chance to be relevant.

Wow. That's a whole lot of words you just put in my mouth. And it didn't have anything to do with what I said. Good jump.

My point was we've never won an NCAA Tourney game. Pretty sure our problems run deeper than the current AD being against AAU connections.

Wow. That's a whole lot of words you just put in my mouth. And it didn't have anything to do with what I said. Good jump.

My point was we've never won an NCAA Tourney game. Pretty sure our problems run deeper than the current AD being against AAU connections.

Well tying your coaches hands from possibly recruiting some of the better players in the country doesn't help now does it? As long as there are no rules being broken, it shouldn't matter if they had a connection with the AAU.

Beating Texas last year earned him 3 more years. Wasn't that like Nebraska's biggest home win of all time?

One game shouldn't get a bad coach 3 more years and the Huskers have had bigger wins. We did get to the dance once about 15 t0 20 years.

SADler has to go.

T_O_B

G>B>R

You honestly think Nebraska is going to run out and get a better coach? Don't kid yourself. I don't understand this knee-jerk pitchfork and torches mentality.

Beating Texas last year earned him 3 more years. Wasn't that like Nebraska's biggest home win of all time?

One game shouldn't get a bad coach 3 more years and the Huskers have had bigger wins. We did get to the dance once about 15 t0 20 years.

SADler has to go.

T_O_B

G>B>R

You honestly think Nebraska is going to run out and get a better coach? Don't kid yourself. I don't understand this knee-jerk pitchfork and torches mentality.

6 years is a pretty slow-twitch for a knee-jerk reaction..........

I do respectfully disagree with you on this. As I've stated before, I like Doc and wish he would succeed, but there is NO momentum to the program and yes I do believe we could do a lot better.

Consider a "blind" test. If a HC BCS position was anonymously posted as open that included a world class practice facility, a brand new state of the art home arena coming on board in a year, a salary of 1 million a year and a rabid fan base just waiting to be ignited.............with the only drawback being no relevant history/success in the program.....................do you honestly believe coaches would not be lining up for the opportunity ??

SADler has to go.

T_O_B

G>B>R

6 years is a pretty slow-twitch for a knee-jerk reaction..........

I do respectfully disagree with you on this. As I've stated before, I like Doc and wish he would succeed, but there is NO momentum to the program and yes I do believe we could do a lot better.

Consider a "blind" test. If a HC BCS position was anonymously posted as open that included a world class practice facility, a brand new state of the art home arena coming on board in a year, a salary of 1 million a year and a rabid fan base just waiting to be ignited.............with the only drawback being no relevant history/success in the program.....................do you honestly believe coaches would not be lining up for the opportunity ??

Yes, I honestly believe coaches wouldn't be lining up to coach for Nebraska. I'm all for firing Doc if we can indeed do better, but who's to say Doc can't do better with those advantages?

I just don't understand how anyone can defend Doc anymore, unless maybe their last name is Sadler as well. I think Doc is a good guy and has a likeable personality, but there is no reason any good coach couldn't have taken this team to the dance by now and be competitive in the top half of the conference in the time Doc has been here. There are plenty of good coaches that made programs successful that don't have the near the facilities we did have and the upgrades we are getting now. I never believed in that excuse that you couldn't win here because of what we had. What we will have with the arena, practice facility and joining the BIG isn't a reason for making the dance every once in a while but a reason to be a perennial top 25 program.......if we had a good coach. I'll admit that the fact that we are a football school that the basketball program gets overlooked, even from the very top, but it still isn't enough of an excuse not to have upper half conference success every once in a while. No more excuses people. It's time we all face the reality that Doc isn't ever going to get it done.

I'm not usually in the "fire the coach" crowd but it's time to at least consider it. I'll reserve some judgement until later in the season but I was afraid 3-4 conference wins would be good this year but now I'm not even sure about that.

Nebraska is far from a basketball coaching destination but there are enough non-BCS programs that have up-and-coming coaches that there's bound to be someone willing to take a flier on a B1G school with outstanding facilities. Plus, they would know they would get some decent time to try to build the program - not be out after a couple bad years.

Interesting to see what TO does...

• 2 weeks later...

I just don't understand how anyone can defend Doc anymore, unless maybe their last name is Sadler as well. I think Doc is a good guy and has a likeable personality, but there is no reason any good coach couldn't have taken this team to the dance by now and be competitive in the top half of the conference in the time Doc has been here. There are plenty of good coaches that made programs successful that don't have the near the facilities we did have and the upgrades we are getting now. I never believed in that excuse that you couldn't win here because of what we had. What we will have with the arena, practice facility and joining the BIG isn't a reason for making the dance every once in a while but a reason to be a perennial top 25 program.......if we had a good coach. I'll admit that the fact that we are a football school that the basketball program gets overlooked, even from the very top, but it still isn't enough of an excuse not to have upper half conference success every once in a while. No more excuses people. It's time we all face the reality that Doc isn't ever going to get it done.

A couple years ago, Doc came really close to leading us to the NCAA tourney. It might have been last year also. We were on the bubble down the stretch and just couldn't win the games that we needed to win. In the last couple years, Doc has been pressured a lot to improve on the offensive side of the floor, and if you ask me, our team has lost a lot of defensive intensity as a result.

I have trouble believing that even Coach K could take us to the NCAA tourney with the athletes that we are able to recruit to Nebraska in basketball. It's just such a hard place to recruit, and as a result, is a hard place to win. I like Doc, and I would love to see him be the guy to find the right answers and do what it takes to win a lot of basketball games for us. However, I'm not sure how much more time fans will be willing to give Doc.

A couple years ago, Doc came really close to leading us to the NCAA tourney. It might have been last year also. We were on the bubble down the stretch and just couldn't win the games that we needed to win. In the last couple years, Doc has been pressured a lot to improve on the offensive side of the floor, and if you ask me, our team has lost a lot of defensive intensity as a result.

I have trouble believing that even Coach K could take us to the NCAA tourney with the athletes that we are able to recruit to Nebraska in basketball. It's just such a hard place to recruit, and as a result, is a hard place to win. I like Doc, and I would love to see him be the guy to find the right answers and do what it takes to win a lot of basketball games for us. However, I'm not sure how much more time fans will be willing to give Doc.

Danny Nee says hello

Danny Nee says hello

Unfortunately, his onryness caught up with him, and his first really REALLY bad year, became the excuse, not the reason. Nee was about as successful as you could expect a coach here to be.

Danny Nee says hello

Unfortunately, his onryness caught up with him, and his first really REALLY bad year, became the excuse, not the reason. Nee was about as successful as you could expect a coach here to be.

Yes I remember alot of the team wanted to walk out on him. And it was a bad year. But the five before that

were great years to be a husker basketball fan. Hell I'll go really old school on you guys. Joe Cip. and Moe Iba

did pretty good jobs as well. Moe led thenm to a NCAA berth. That was in the 80's.

Danny Nee says hello

Yes I remember alot of the team wanted to walk out on him. And it was a bad year. But the five before that

were great years to be a husker basketball fan. Hell I'll go really old school on you guys. Joe Cip. and Moe Iba

did pretty good jobs as well. Moe led thenm to a NCAA berth. That was in the 80's.

Of course he committed the ultimate in NCAA infractions....................by taping newspapers on Mable Hall to hide his infamous illegal practices......... :wacko:

Danny Nee says hello

Career Win % @ Nebraska

Nee - .572

Sadler - .557

Nee coached for 14 years and 444 games (254 wins). If Sadler coached as many games (at current win %) he'd win 247. That's seven fewer games won over 14 years. Not a lot different. Yes, Nee had a couple good teams but not outstanding (still no NCAA tourney wins). I'd call that "hard to win at Nebraska."