My Take on the Game

Ronznotes

I'm hoping to see some misdirection game trying to get our speed outside... Then use the same stretch game to open up the middle for kyler over the top of the secondary... Been seeing all these reverse passes all bowl season, wouldn't be surprised to see something of that order!

You realize that SC has an All American DE in Melvin Ingram, and Freshman All American DE in Jadevon Clowney. I'm not sure attacking the ends is the best plan.

attacking a strength is how you find out if its really a strength or if its from playing weak SEC offenses....

Weak SEC offenses? Haha are you serious? If anyone has anything to prove on either side of the ball against the other conference its us not the SEC. They only appear weak in conference play because the defenses are so good, look at what happens when a team like say...LSU who was held to so few points against Bama plays outside the conference. They bust all over opponents' faces.

I get it, you guys are coming from a conference that was big on offense and seemed like it barely recruited kids on defense but don't assume the SEC is the opposite simply because they don't score as much in conference play.

The SEC is a good (probably slightly the best) conference in the country, but the rest of the country, especially the media, acts as if they are untouchable.... The top of the SEC (2-3 teams) is better then any other conference in the country, but Top-to-Bottom the SEC is vastly overrated.... Look at the Miss. St. vs. Wake Forest game last night.... The announcers could barely hide their surprised reactions to the fact that Miss. St. wasn't destroying a lowly ACC team.... Alabama, and LSU are the best teams in the country, but after that the rest of the conference is very average....

It wasn't just the vaunted SEC defenses that made the SEC offenses look bad.... I won't go as far as to say that they aren't any good, but the Big 12 offenses are much better then most offenses in the SEC.... The SEC is the best conference in the country, but the gap between them and the Big Ten/Big 12/Pac-12 isn't as large as some want to pretend it is....

This should be a good game, I think our offense starts to wear down the South Carolina defense, and Rex burkhead has a really big game.

I can't imagine us wearing them down unless we gash them with 6-7 yard runs early and often.... If we get 2-3 yards a carry and have to throw, there defense won't be on the field long enough to get worn down by our rushing attack.... Let's hope Burkhead gets loose on them early....

I'm hoping to see some misdirection game trying to get our speed outside... Then use the same stretch game to open up the middle for kyler over the top of the secondary... Been seeing all these reverse passes all bowl season, wouldn't be surprised to see something of that order!

You realize that SC has an All American DE in Melvin Ingram, and Freshman All American DE in Jadevon Clowney. I'm not sure attacking the ends is the best plan.

attacking a strength is how you find out if its really a strength or if its from playing weak SEC offenses....

Weak SEC offenses? Haha are you serious? If anyone has anything to prove on either side of the ball against the other conference its us not the SEC. They only appear weak in conference play because the defenses are so good, look at what happens when a team like say...LSU who was held to so few points against Bama plays outside the conference. They bust all over opponents' faces.

I get it, you guys are coming from a conference that was big on offense and seemed like it barely recruited kids on defense but don't assume the SEC is the opposite simply because they don't score as much in conference play.

The SEC is a good (probably slightly the best) conference in the country, but the rest of the country, especially the media, acts as if they are untouchable.... The top of the SEC (2-3 teams) is better then any other conference in the country, but Top-to-Bottom the SEC is vastly overrated.... Look at the Miss. St. vs. Wake Forest game last night.... The announcers could barely hide their surprised reactions to the fact that Miss. St. wasn't destroying a lowly ACC team.... Alabama, and LSU are the best teams in the country, but after that the rest of the conference is very average....

It wasn't just the vaunted SEC defenses that made the SEC offenses look bad.... I won't go as far as to say that they aren't any good, but the Big 12 offenses are much better then most offenses in the SEC.... The SEC is the best conference in the country, but the gap between them and the Big Ten/Big 12/Pac-12 isn't as large as some want to pretend it is....

It's funny how two people can watch the same game and come away with very different impressions. My impression was that here you have a team that finished 8/9 in their conference and went 2-6 in SEC play with its only wins coming off of the cellar dwellers coming in and beating a team that was 5-3 in their conference and tied for third. That looked like depth to me...

I think the media does overhype the SEC a bit but until they don't win a MNC they will continue to be hyped as the "best damn conference in the land". Plain and simple. It's up to other teams to unseat them.

Which is hard to do since they schedule four schools of the blind deaf and dumb as their OOC and don't leave the South during the season including the Bowl games. That isn't mentioning that they are allowed to cut players like the NFL and recruit over the max allowed by the NCAA. Right now they have the perfect storm going on and it sucks.

I think the media does overhype the SEC a bit but until they don't win a MNC they will continue to be hyped as the "best damn conference in the land". Plain and simple. It's up to other teams to unseat them.

Which is hard to do since they schedule four schools of the blind deaf and dumb as their OOC and don't leave the South during the season including the Bowl games. That isn't mentioning that they are allowed to cut players like the NFL and recruit over the max allowed by the NCAA. Right now they have the perfect storm going on and it sucks.

Both Auburn and USC played Clemson. Bama went up to Penn State. Arkansas took on A&M, UGA took on Boise. LSU took on WVU and Oregon and the list goes on and on and on. NU scheduled who? Wyoming, Washington, Chattanoga and Fresno? and that's not meant to pick on NU...UW played an even worse OCS...I just don't know that's a really fair point except when attacking Florida who is pretty guilty of it.

The Big-XII has played pretty fast and loose with over signing in a manner quite similar to the SEC. I wonder why we hear so little about it? Maybe because they can't win a NC?

As far as the hype the SEC gets I think that's just the "media" being conscious of their market. Southerners and SEC fans pay much closer attention to College Football than residents of other regions and fans of other conferences so of course they're going to adjust their coverage and to a certain degree cater to that clientele...and lets not pretend that ESPN or the Sports Departments of CBS, NBC, FOX and ABC are somehow conventional 'media' or 'journalists'. None of them are. The people we attribute this 'hype' to are not professionals. They do not have and do not feel any obligation to accurately/objectively cover football. It's a business and they approach it in that way. We hear so much about the SEC for the same reasons we hear so much about Notre Dame, because the consumers exist. It's not in their interests to spend the lionshare of their time talking about the ACC, Pac-12 or Big East because the fans just aren't there.

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-topTV-blog480.png

As far as the hype the SEC gets I think that's just the "media" being conscious of their market. Southerners and SEC fans pay much closer attention to College Football than residents of other regions and fans of other conferences so of course they're going to adjust their coverage and to a certain degree cater to that clientele...and lets not pretend that ESPN or the Sports Departments of CBS, NBC, FOX and ABC are somehow conventional 'media' or 'journalists'. None of them are. The people we attribute this 'hype' to are not professionals. They do not have and do not feel any obligation to accurately/objectively cover football. It's a business and they approach it in that way. We hear so much about the SEC for the same reasons we hear so much about Notre Dame, because the consumers exist. It's not in their interests to spend the lionshare of their time talking about the ACC, Pac-12 or Big East because the fans just aren't there.

Charts like that crack me up, but I get your point about the networks/media aiming to please favorable markets....

Both Auburn and USC played Clemson. Bama went up to Penn State. Arkansas took on A&M, UGA took on Boise. LSU took on WVU and Oregon and the list goes on and on and on. NU scheduled who? Wyoming, Washington, Chattanoga and Fresno? and that's not meant to pick on NU...UW played an even worse OCS...I just don't know that's a really fair point except when attacking Florida who is pretty guilty of it.

The Big-XII has played pretty fast and loose with over signing in a manner quite similar to the SEC. I wonder why we hear so little about it? Maybe because they can't win a NC?

Over-signing is not near as large a problem with other conferences, the SEC takes the cake there, and I believe that it has had a minimal impact on their conference's success....

Over-signing is not near as large a problem with other conferences, the SEC takes the cake there, and I believe that it has had a minimal impact on their conference's success....

With the Big XII its actually pretty damn close

espn-numbers.jpg

With the Big XII its actually pretty damn close

espn-numbers.jpg

Well I came to damn close to defending the Big 12 with my last post, and nobody here wants to do that....Sooooo.... :wasted

Charts like that crack me up, but I get your point about the networks/media aiming to please favorable markets....

I know, it doesn't seem like there'd be any accuracy to this given the size of the populations and at any rate it kind of comes off as a little too in depth for something as petty as football but it is what it is.

Anyhow, I think anyone that's spent time in South knows the truth behind the point the NYT argued somewhat awkwardly in its article and that chart. College football is just a different animal in SEC country.

I know, it doesn't seem like there'd be any accuracy to this given the size of the populations and at any rate it kind of comes off as a little too in depth for something as petty as football but it is what it is.

Anyhow, I think anyone that's spent time in South knows the truth behind the point the NYT argued somewhat awkwardly in its article and that chart. College football is just a different animal in SEC country.

As a whole, I would agree with you on the South.... personal bias included, nobody loves their college football like the great people of Nebraska....