My Take on the Game

Ronznotes

Here is my take on this game-

Spurrier is not known for winning bowls - I personally think he's probably a bit lazy and doesn't work his teams very hard. Their practice schedule seems to have been lighter than ours both at home and in Orlando. Bo likes lay offs, seems to do pretty well with extra time to prepare. Seems like we're practicing, going in full pads, etc. Advantage NU

Plus, we have a new offensive scheme - I think NU gains more from the extra practice time than SC does. Advantage NU

Overall, I think NU is more on the upswing than SC and therefore momentum puts us even with a potentially more talented SC team.

Both teams have lost a Defensive Coordinator and promoted from within. I don't think there is any doubt the loser in that situation is SC. Spurrier isn't probably quite as involved in the defense as BO. Advantage NU.

Familiarity - NU has been preparing for a 'new' team all season with the switch to the big 10. Advantage NU.

Odd weaknesses - advantage to SC in having a scrambling quarterback. NU seems to struggle dispropotionately against teams with a scrambling QB.

Team speed - TV analysts would say advantage SC. I am not as certain.

Toughness - I think I go advantage NU on this. The SEC just doesn't seem to have the games of endless pain and wearing down the opponent.

I think it comes down to the type of game - if NU never trails by more than 7, I think we'll be able to wear down and out coach SC. If NU is slow to defend the speed or if the O-line is overwhelmed early and we have to abandon the running game, we'll lose and probably lose ugly. I think we'll out scheme them, but we can't let them use their speed to change our schemes.

Only one key to the game is probably required - NU rushing for 200 yards.

NU 27 SC 20

The biggest advantage NU has on Monday will be special teams. Maher is clutch both kicking and punting.

BUT what may play a larger role is that USC is crap on KO's and not overly strong on the punt coverage side of things either. A name we haven't heard much from since week 5 is Abdullah, he just very much be the X factor in this one.

The biggest advantage NU has on Monday will be special teams. Maher is clutch both kicking and punting.

BUT what may play a larger role is that USC is crap on KO's and not overly strong on the punt coverage side of things either. A name we haven't heard much from since week 5 is Abdullah, he just very much be the X factor in this one.

Very good points. Our return game has gone kinda quiet, sure would be nice to pick up some free field position throughout the game

I agree with this. I think very few touchdowns will find the scoreboard Monday, but Maher has 9-12 points in FG's.

If it becomes a field position/field goal battle, I think we have the clear advantage.

I'm also thinking E-Mart does something to change the game, but my crystal ball is a bit fuzzy on what exactly.