My Take on the Game

Ronznotes

As far as the hype the SEC gets I think that's just the "media" being conscious of their market. Southerners and SEC fans pay much closer attention to College Football than residents of other regions and fans of other conferences so of course they're going to adjust their coverage and to a certain degree cater to that clientele...and lets not pretend that ESPN or the Sports Departments of CBS, NBC, FOX and ABC are somehow conventional 'media' or 'journalists'. None of them are. The people we attribute this 'hype' to are not professionals. They do not have and do not feel any obligation to accurately/objectively cover football. It's a business and they approach it in that way. We hear so much about the SEC for the same reasons we hear so much about Notre Dame, because the consumers exist. It's not in their interests to spend the lionshare of their time talking about the ACC, Pac-12 or Big East because the fans just aren't there.

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-topTV-blog480.png

Charts like that crack me up, but I get your point about the networks/media aiming to please favorable markets....

I know, it doesn't seem like there'd be any accuracy to this given the size of the populations and at any rate it kind of comes off as a little too in depth for something as petty as football but it is what it is.

Anyhow, I think anyone that's spent time in South knows the truth behind the point the NYT argued somewhat awkwardly in its article and that chart. College football is just a different animal in SEC country.

As a whole, I would agree with you on the South.... personal bias included, nobody loves their college football like the great people of Nebraska....

There are always exceptions to rules and I'd argue Nebraska is one of them. Same with Oklahoma and a few others. In a certain sense Nebraska's love for CFB is similar to the SEC's...at least in its causes. There just isn't a whole lot else going on sports wise going on in the areas. Outside of Atlanta and New Orleans there really aren't too many Pro Teams in the region to distract from the league's football...add to that the fact that both cities are more or less newcomers to the Pro-Sports scenes and few of their teams have had real tangible and sustained success. Perhaps the one exception to that rule has been the Braves and they very much prove my point with their widespread support from pretty much Mississippi to Virginia

I should mention I do not consider Florida to be the South and only a fraction of it is SEC territory.

I think the media does overhype the SEC a bit but until they don't win a MNC they will continue to be hyped as the "best damn conference in the land". Plain and simple. It's up to other teams to unseat them.

Which is hard to do since they schedule four schools of the blind deaf and dumb as their OOC and don't leave the South during the season including the Bowl games. That isn't mentioning that they are allowed to cut players like the NFL and recruit over the max allowed by the NCAA. Right now they have the perfect storm going on and it sucks.

I take offence to that. i am hearing impaired buddy. any ways i agree with most of what u say

I think the media does overhype the SEC a bit but until they don't win a MNC they will continue to be hyped as the "best damn conference in the land". Plain and simple. It's up to other teams to unseat them.

Which is hard to do since they schedule four schools of the blind deaf and dumb as their OOC and don't leave the South during the season including the Bowl games. That isn't mentioning that they are allowed to cut players like the NFL and recruit over the max allowed by the NCAA. Right now they have the perfect storm going on and it sucks.

I take offence to that. i am hearing impaired buddy. any ways i agree with most of what u say

It's ok, I think I have the dumb part taken care of. :D

Both Auburn and USC played Clemson. Bama went up to Penn State. Arkansas took on A&M, UGA took on Boise. LSU took on WVU and Oregon and the list goes on and on and on. NU scheduled who? Wyoming, Washington, Chattanoga and Fresno? and that's not meant to pick on NU...UW played an even worse OCS...I just don't know that's a really fair point except when attacking Florida who is pretty guilty of it.

The Big-XII has played pretty fast and loose with over signing in a manner quite similar to the SEC. I wonder why we hear so little about it? Maybe because they can't win a NC?

You totally missed the point. Yes they played them, but with the exception of the PSU-Bama game in State College, all of those games were in the SOUTH. Arky-aTm was played in Dallas. UGA vs Boise was played in Atlanta. LSU vs Oregon was played in Dallas and WVU was played in Baton Rouge.

It's also funny that FSU is already being overrated for next year (you would think that people would learn) and by looking at their schedule they do play WVU in their OOC, but with the exception of a few road conference games, they don't play a game outside of the state of Florida. How pathetic is that.

And yes you are correct, Wisky played a pathetic OOC, which is why both losses killed them in the BCS because of their SOS. NU's wasn't much better either and with how down the B1G was, NU played a few name teams that weren't very good and a lot of just crappy teams.

Both Auburn and USC played Clemson. Bama went up to Penn State. Arkansas took on A&M, UGA took on Boise. LSU took on WVU and Oregon and the list goes on and on and on. NU scheduled who? Wyoming, Washington, Chattanoga and Fresno? and that's not meant to pick on NU...UW played an even worse OCS...I just don't know that's a really fair point except when attacking Florida who is pretty guilty of it.

The Big-XII has played pretty fast and loose with over signing in a manner quite similar to the SEC. I wonder why we hear so little about it? Maybe because they can't win a NC?

You totally missed the point. Yes they played them, but with the exception of the PSU-Bama game in State College, all of those games were in the SOUTH. Arky-aTm was played in Dallas. UGA vs Boise was played in Atlanta. LSU vs Oregon was played in Dallas and WVU was played in Baton Rouge.

It's also funny that FSU is already being overrated for next year (you would think that people would learn) and by looking at their schedule they do play WVU in their OOC, but with the exception of a few road conference games, they don't play a game outside of the state of Florida. How pathetic is that.

And yes you are correct, Wisky played a pathetic OOC, which is why both losses killed them in the BCS because of their SOS. NU's wasn't much better either and with how down the B1G was, NU played a few name teams that weren't very good and a lot of just crappy teams.

Ok a few things here. LSU did not play WVU in Baton Rouge, that game was played in Morgantown.

As far as playing games in the South just looking at the map and counting Texas as the "South" since you've made that assumption (but discounting UTEP) I tallied 53 FBS schools in "the South"

That's almost half the teams in college football so yes...many teams are going to play in the South when nearly half of your choices for opponents reside there. Also I counted 15 currently AP Top 25 teams in the South regardless of conference. Yea man teams are going to play south of the Mason Dixon line. That's where a plurality of teams are and a majority of top ranked teams.

I think the SEC is perfectly respectable in their OCS Scheduling. I already rattled off their big games this year so let me challenge you since you want to rag on them. What big, marquee road trip games did Big Ten teams schedule outside of the Midwest? OSU to Miami? That's about all you got. Bama went to Penn State and LSU went to Morgantown. That's twice as many games as we had.

It comes down to how well our OL can block their DL that happens to be the best in the country. If they don't then Taylor will get pummeled and will likely turn the ball over since NU is statistically the worst ball security team in the country and we will get taken behind the woodshed.

I hope Beck comes up with a good game plan for that DL because we are going to need to out coach USC because we don't' have the talent on the OL to match up with them.

You know what's awesome? Facts.

http://www.cfbstats....y12/sort04.html

But who cares about those when you can just make sh#t up.

Those don't count fumbles of our own that we recover. If you think that our offense has great ball security, I have some ocean front property outside of Omaha that I want to sell you. And before you say that those don't matter because they are not turnovers, they still kill drives because they put us in 2nd or 3rd and long with a QB that can't throw, therefore it still kills our drive.

But the other teams don't have those recorded either, so your point is moot and irrelevant.

:facepalm:

So, you throw out a blanket statement backed by zero evidence, then get butthurt when called on it? Nice.... Since we're making unsubstantiated claims and counting them as fact, I invented the internet.

Here is my take on this game-

Spurrier is not known for winning bowls - I personally think he's probably a bit lazy and doesn't work his teams very hard. Their practice schedule seems to have been lighter than ours both at home and in Orlando. Bo likes lay offs, seems to do pretty well with extra time to prepare. Seems like we're practicing, going in full pads, etc. Advantage NU

Plus, we have a new offensive scheme - I think NU gains more from the extra practice time than SC does. Advantage NU

Overall, I think NU is more on the upswing than SC and therefore momentum puts us even with a potentially more talented SC team.

Both teams have lost a Defensive Coordinator and promoted from within. I don't think there is any doubt the loser in that situation is SC. Spurrier isn't probably quite as involved in the defense as BO. Advantage NU.

Familiarity - NU has been preparing for a 'new' team all season with the switch to the big 10. Advantage NU.

Odd weaknesses - advantage to SC in having a scrambling quarterback. NU seems to struggle dispropotionately against teams with a scrambling QB.

Team speed - TV analysts would say advantage SC. I am not as certain.

Toughness - I think I go advantage NU on this. The SEC just doesn't seem to have the games of endless pain and wearing down the opponent.

I think it comes down to the type of game - if NU never trails by more than 7, I think we'll be able to wear down and out coach SC. If NU is slow to defend the speed or if the O-line is overwhelmed early and we have to abandon the running game, we'll lose and probably lose ugly. I think we'll out scheme them, but we can't let them use their speed to change our

schemes.

Only one key to the game is probably required - NU rushing for 200 yards.

NU 27 SC 20

washington says hai

Hai back. We beat the crap outta that team. The only reason we didn't beat them a second time is because we didn't want to play them in that bowl. What an insult to us to have to play them again. I'm so glad that Baylor beat them last night.

No. The reason we got beat in the Holiday Bowl is because we were outcoached, outplayed, our offensive line played like garbage, Taylor played treacherous and we couldn't stop Polk. I find it extremely annoying when people say that they lost a bowl game "because they didn't want to be there". You mean that a bunch of youngsters that live in Nebraska didn't want to be in sunny San Diego in late December?

Your memory is nonexistent if you think it was sunny in Ca a year ago. It only rained like two feet in the week before the game. Yet another reason why that game was a joke. It was played in a rice paddy.

...Ok a few things here. LSU did not play WVU in Baton Rouge, that game was played in Morgantown.

As far as playing games in the South just looking at the map and counting Texas as the "South" since you've made that assumption (but discounting UTEP) I tallied 53 FBS schools in "the South"

That's almost half the teams in college football so yes...many teams are going to play in the South when nearly half of your choices for opponents reside there. Also I counted 15 currently AP Top 25 teams in the South regardless of conference. Yea man teams are going to play south of the Mason Dixon line. That's where a plurality of teams are and a majority of top ranked teams.

I think the SEC is perfectly respectable in their OCS Scheduling. I already rattled off their big games this year so let me challenge you since you want to rag on them. What big, marquee road trip games did Big Ten teams schedule outside of the Midwest? OSU to Miami? That's about all you got. Bama went to Penn State and LSU went to Morgantown. That's twice as many games as we had.

All this time I thought Morgantown, WV was in the South..It's about 733 miles NE of Tuscaloosa.

(And y'all thought English was my worstest subject)..

At least I now live Left of Albuquerque.

l.sku2443.jpg

All this time I thought Morgantown, WV was in the South..It's about 733 miles NE of Tuscaloosa.

West Virginia is like Texas...it has a very ambiguous cultural/geographic identity. I counted it as the South but you could easily argue that it isn't...WV is kind of in a region of its own.

So, you throw out a blanket statement backed by zero evidence, then get butthurt when called on it? Nice.... Since we're making unsubstantiated claims and counting them as fact, I invented the internet.

Apperently you aren't watching the same team as I am. We have had many drives that were killed by poor ball handling by TMart.

Ok a few things here. LSU did not play WVU in Baton Rouge, that game was played in Morgantown.

I was wrong about where the LSU game was.

Minny played at USC so we are tied at two. It will be interesting to see how this compares next year. I think it was just a year where the B1G teams had their marquee games at home. Next year they should be on the road, while the SEC will still be staying in the South.

I was wrong about where the LSU game was.

Minny played at USC so we are tied at two. It will be interesting to see how this compares next year. I think it was just a year where the B1G teams had their marquee games at home. Next year they should be on the road, while the SEC will still be staying in the South.

Minnesota to USC is hardly a "Big, marquee road trip". That's a bottom feeder going to play a conference predator.

As far as next year here are notable Big Ten OCS games. Road games are bolded. "Big" Games (top 15 opponents) are shaded.

UW @ Oregon State

Illinois@ ASU

NU @ UCLA

Indiana @ Navy

Purdue @ Notre Dame

Michigan State v. Boise

Penn State @ UVA

OSU v. Cal

Michigan v. Bama in Dallas

Northwestern @ Syracuse

Northwestern v. Vandy

Average ranking of notable OCS opponents: 53

Note: Final BCS rankings from 2011 CFB season used. Alabama v. Michigan and Northwestern v. Vandy excluded.

List is not all inclusive, several schools still have open dates.

And the SEC

Alabama v. Michigan (Dallas)

Auburn v. Clemson (Atlanta)

Kentucky @ Lousiville

Florida @ FSU

Mizzou v. ASU

Vanderbilt @ Northwestern

Georgia v. Georgia Tech

USC @ Clemson

Ole Miss v. Texas

LSU v. Washington

Tennessee v. NC State (Atlanta)

Average ranking of notable OCS opponents: 35

It seems pretty clear that the only 'Big Game' for either conference outside of their regular league schedule and region is that Bama-Michigan game....and please don't try to make the argument that Dallas is a home game for Bama. Please.