I'm sick to my stomach

For the first time this season, I have nothing to say. I don't even know where to start. I can't even talk about how disappointing this season has been. The state of football in Lincoln is at an all-time low. To think we are worried about KU. Folks it is very possible we could lose the remaining games on our schedule, which totally throws out any talk of progress. As I read some of the threads on this site, people are finally seeing what I have seen all year long...this is not a good team. We put ourselves in impossible situations, and then cheer the fact that we made it close after falling behind 21 pts. Earlier it was discussed that we could have gone to the Big 12 title game...I'm glad we won't go, Texas would kill us. Husker Nation, we need to be realistic 5-6 is very possible. Keep in mind something I said last week...we have no leaders to step up and say...DAMN IT THIS IS NEBRASKA. This team does not make statements, it hasn't all year, why should we think they would start now. If they weren't concerned about saving a simple thing like a "winning season" streak and a "bowl streak" what makes you think they will get up for a tough road game in Boulder. We the fans understand the season is hanging in the balence (we do don't we) but do the players. For once, I wish they would get off their @&& and play 60 minutes of Husker Football. I understand there aren't a lot of Wagner fans, but I was at Wayne State when he coached there, he is a passionate coach that gets in his players faces...it's time for the coaches to scream, throw medicine tables, grab some face masks. Husker Nation, our AD, whom some of you like (which I don't understand) said he would not let this program fall into mediocrity, well there is a knock at the door, and as I look out the peep hole...Mr. Mediocrity is there. And since some of you want to look ahead to the future. Next year should be fun with both Texas and USC on the schedule. I know there are some who will disagree (which I don't understand) but I want Coach C gone. The progress this team has made has been so small, that it would take 5-7 years to put us back on the map. At this rate I would take Joe Pa...he's old, and nearly took the program he built up down with him, but they are competitive this year. We are the laughing stock of college football...the tradition is gone, and it simply makes me sick to my stomach

For the first time this season, I have nothing to say. I don't even know where to start. I can't even talk about how disappointing this season has been. The state of football in Lincoln is at an all-time low. To think we are worried about KU. Folks it is very possible we could lose the remaining games on our schedule, which totally throws out any talk of progress. As I read some of the threads on this site, people are finally seeing what I have seen all year long...this is not a good team. We put ourselves in impossible situations, and then cheer the fact that we made it close after falling behind 21 pts. Earlier it was discussed that we could have gone to the Big 12 title game...I'm glad we won't go, Texas would kill us. Husker Nation, we need to be realistic 5-6 is very possible. Keep in mind something I said last week...we have no leaders to step up and say...DAMN IT THIS IS NEBRASKA. This team does not make statements, it hasn't all year, why should we think they would start now. If they weren't concerned about saving a simple thing like a "winning season" streak and a "bowl streak" what makes you think they will get up for a tough road game in Boulder. We the fans understand the season is hanging in the balence (we do don't we) but do the players. For once, I wish they would get off their @&& and play 60 minutes of Husker Football. I understand there aren't a lot of Wagner fans, but I was at Wayne State when he coached there, he is a passionate coach that gets in his players faces...it's time for the coaches to scream, throw medicine tables, grab some face masks. Husker Nation, our AD, whom some of you like (which I don't understand) said he would not let this program fall into mediocrity, well there is a knock at the door, and as I look out the peep hole...Mr. Mediocrity is there. And since some of you want to look ahead to the future. Next year should be fun with both Texas and USC on the schedule. I know there are some who will disagree (which I don't understand) but I want Coach C gone. The progress this team has made has been so small, that it would take 5-7 years to put us back on the map. At this rate I would take Joe Pa...he's old, and nearly took the program he built up down with him, but they are competitive this year. We are the laughing stock of college football...the tradition is gone, and it simply makes me sick to my stomach

This post hits it right on as far as I'm concerned. Pay attention to the things you get excited about and ask yourself if it ever happened that way before the coaching change. It doesn't matter much, though. Callahan will get his 4-5 years, we will continue the downward spiral, and after he's let go at the end of his contract, the damage will be so severe it will take 10 years or more to resurrect the Huskers. I might be wrong, but I don't think so.

If all we are doing is spiraling downhill and it is going to be 10 years till we get back to respectability why do you want your time even caring about this team? If husker nation is crumbling I'm sure you have more important things to worry about than a program that is beyond repair.

The only thing that is going to cause this program to spiral is more "fans" that share this view point.

I don't know how football was at Wayne State, but I do know something about leadership and leading men.

You think, at this point, grabbing facemasks and throwing medicine tables will resolve the issues on a weak OL?

Do you think it will revive the Blackshirts to something they already are, but being limited due to poor officiating?

I like your white flag theory; carry that flag with you next year too.

How many times does it have to be posted on this board that a majority of us agreed that it would take a couple of seasons for the Huskers to learn the WCO and be effective again? Answer, several.

I bet you didn't pitty the OU of the mid-90's when they were in a slump. No one here thought twice about how poorly they were playing, we were content that our Huskers were on a winning onslaught throughout the NCAA.

Now the shoe it on the other foot. Did you actually think Nebraska could be great forever without going through some sort of decline?

What goes up must come down.

So we hit rock bottom and didn't make it to a bowl last year, big deal. My life does not revolve around Husker Football. It's great to have a winning team--heck, the Huskers are all we have here in Nebraska.

I do get upset about not winning...for say...15 minutes after the game. But then I think about the future. There is no way Nebraska's tradition of winning will be flat-lined for an extended period of time.

Look at all of the programs that have recently regained national recognition.

Penn State, OU, USC, and Notre Dame to name a few. All of these programs were no where near contention with Nebraska in the mid to late 90's.

But they are back now.

Evolution says Nebraska will rise again.

The only thing that is going to cause this program to spiral is more "fans" that share this view point.

despite the coach despite the teams bad play lately, this team will not give up and either should the fans. i hate hearing people say how the program is going down hill. besides the point that i think it will be up again in the next few years, the fact that nebraska has had this sort of tradition and excellence over the past half of a decade almost is a blessing. at points it gets bad, but because they have that tradition that nebraska is so known for it will bring this program back to the top. that is how we recruit players. they dont want to come to nebraska because of its stunning location or anything... just academics and tradition. they will be back, these coaches and players arent that bad, plus im sure they havent shown us anything of wats to come in the next few decades.

I don't know how football was at Wayne State, but I do know something about leadership and leading men.

You think, at this point, grabbing facemasks and throwing medicine tables will resolve the issues on a weak OL?

Do you think it will revive the Blackshirts to something they already are, but being limited due to poor officiating?

How many times does it have to be posted on this board that a majority of us agreed that it would take a couple of seasons for the Huskers to learn the WCO and be effective again? Answer, several.

I bet you didn't pitty the OU of the mid-90's when they are in a slump. No one here thought twice about how poorly they were playing, we were content that our Huskers were on a winning onslaught throughout the NCAA.

Now the shoe it on the other foot. Did you actually think Nebraska could be great forever without going through some sort of slump?

So we hit rock bottom and didn't make it to a bowl last year, big deal. My life does not revolve around Husker Football. It's great to have a winning team--heck, the Huskers are all we have here in Nebraska.

I do get upset about not winning...for say...15 minutes after the game. But then I think about the future. There is no way Nebraska's tradition of winning will be flat-lined for an extended period of time.

Penn State, OU, USC, and Notre Dame to name a few. All of these programs were no where near contention with Nebraska in the mid to late 90's.

But they are back now.

:yeah

Great post. I'm glad to see others agree that the sky isn't falling.

If you can't stick with a team through the rough times, you don't deserve to be there for the good times.

But they are back now.

You overlook the fact that with the exception of Penn State, the teams you listed didn't just regain dominance by the passage of time. They got new coaches and almost immediately began to have success. We made a coaching change and immediately took a huge step back and have yet to regain our footing. Am I missing something here?

I get so sick and tired of this "good fan, bad fan" crap. Just because someone is upset their team lost doesn't mean they are a bad fan. Saying someone is a bad fan because they are upset about how their team is performing is like saying someone is a bad fan because they are a "Sunshine Pumper" and they aren't looking at things realistically. Neither are bad fans, they just have different perspective.

We are all Nebraska fans. The bad fans are the ones who threw stuff on the field Saturday or the ones who booed the young men out there giving it their all.

But being upset with how a team is performing has nothing to do with being a "true fan". It has everything to do with passion. People are allowed their opinions, regardless of what you think of them. Many people agree with you. Others don't. That's life. But don't attack them for their opinion. They aren't "bad fans".

Personally, I hate losing. I am spoiled, because NU has never lost during my life until recently.

I think the problems lie with both the coaches and players, and I have problems being patient. I am willing to give BC another year. I just wanna win now! However, life doesn't necessarily work that way.

I just find it distressing that people are labeled "bad fans" because of their opinions.

I AGREE SOME WHAT TO THE THINGS YOU SAID, BUT .......... WHAT THE F&CK HAPPENED TO THE DEFENSE THATS REALLY WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND AFTER THAT TECH GAME THEY HAVE PLAY'D LIKE CRAP. IF YOU HAVE ONE GOOD PLAYER ON YOUR TEAM AND HE'S ON OFFENSE THEN GIVE HIM THE BALL BECAUSE HE WILL HAVE THE GAME OF HIS LIFE. ITS A GOOD THING THAT RANDELL KID HAD TO SIT OUT THIS YEAR FOR KU OR HE TO WOULD RUN/PASS FOR ALL TIME HIGH NUMBERS. DID OUR LINEBACKERS DROP OFF THAT MUCH. IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE THAT AM MISSING. dedhoarse I KNOW THATS WHAT I'M DOING BUT :wtf . EVERYTIME YOU SEE A INTERVIEW WITH ONE THE PLAYERS THERE JOKING AROUND HAHA'ING ITS LIKE NO ONES CARES ON THAT TEAM IF THEY WIN OR LOSE. I TO WANT SOMEONE TO GET A FIRE UNDER THERE ASS AND GET THIS TEAM TO PLAY LIKE THEY SHOULD. OK THATS ALL THE RANT I HAD THANKS FOR READING I FILL BETTER NOW TALK TO ME AGAIN ON SUNDAY!

:smokin

I pretty much agree with BigRedSmitty. Little if any progress has been made this season and it's very upsetting. We fool ourselves during spring ball. The spring game rolls around and we're excited and want something positive, so we fool ourselves into thinking we'll play like that in the fall. It's not happening.

I believe the question is how long it will take us to get back on top? And will it be with Callahan or will he be our Tyrone Willingham? Going from 5-6 to 7-4 or 6-5(I think we will lose to K State) in regular season is hardly an improvement. What is the difference of running the option and the WCO when either way you lose 41-24 to Mizzou? Pete Carroll took 7-5 USC to 10-2, and then won back to back national titles in just 4 years. We haven't had the second year results that USC had during Pete's second year. I think if Callahan is our Willingham, we go back to power-running again. This time with a good recruiting coach. I think Barry Switzer made a good point the other day at the OU game. Power running works, there are just no disciples of it anymore.

EVERYTIME YOU SEE A INTERVIEW WITH ONE THE PLAYERS THERE JOKING AROUND HAHA'ING ITS LIKE NO ONES CARES ON THAT TEAM IF THEY WIN OR LOSE. I TO WANT SOMEONE TO GET A FIRE UNDER THERE ASS AND GET THIS TEAM TO PLAY LIKE THEY SHOULD.

Man, the players care if they win or lose. I don't know how anyone can say that they don't. I don' t think I would call McKeon or Taylor's deameanor after the game "joking around".

24 hours after the game, as a player and a coach you have to go on to the next game. Period.

I bet you didn't pitty the OU of the mid-90's when they were in a slump. No one here thought twice about how poorly they were playing, we were content that our Huskers were on a winning onslaught throughout the NCAA.

Now the shoe it on the other foot. Did you actually think Nebraska could be great forever without going through some sort of decline?

But they are back now.

Penn State fans will probably disagree with you saying they couldn't compete with NU in the 90's. A lot of Penn State fans actually consider themselves NC in 1994. OU was coming off of probation, so it's easy to see why they were down. Notre Dame changed their academic standards of incoming players after Holtz left. Again, not to surprising to see them fall. USC wasn't that bad of a team, they just weren't great. They changed coaches a time or two and came back to where they are now.

I never have liked looking to the refs as the reason a team didn't win. Sure, there are missed calls on maybe a few key plays during the game. However, what about the other 100 plays? The refs have not cost us a game yet. Most coaches will even tell you that refs don't win or lose games. Yes, they make mistakes. But, there are a lot of other plays within the same game.

I think what most are referring to in terms of progress is to see the offense play not only better than last year but better than the beginning of the year. Our offense is ranked I believe in the 90's? I don't remember where they were ranked last year, but I don't think it was worse than this year. So, to many this is simply not progress.

I for one am not surprised that we hit rock bottom. It happens to a lot of storied programs. Look at how Alabama has been up until this year. However, I never thought we would hit rock bottom unless we were hit with some sort of violations or something of this nature. I'm not even sure we have hit rock bottom yet. Rock bottom will be going 5 and 6 in 2008. Now, that's rock bottom!