Don't forget who's on the bench

You have to have coaches to develop the talent, not matter how good or bad. These coaches havent shown that ability, and I doubt they ever will.

I don't know how you can say this staff cannot develop talent. Former NU coaches McBride, Young and Tenopir have faith in this staff and they are a better judge of coaching prowess than you or I will ever be. Not enough time has gone by before this staff can be judged. It is common knowledge that Coach Osborne and his staff were masters at taking a kid from Nebraska and turning them into contributors to the program. But TO used to have 5 years to develop talent, that is not the case anymore. With the 85 scholarship limits, we cannot stockpile the talent like we used to. Recruiting misses that occured under the Frank Solich regime are magnified more than ever. Patience friends, patience.

Josh Huepel had two years in the system, Taylor has had one. Ohklahoma went from a spread offense to..... a spread offense. USC went from a west coast offense to.... a west coast offense. Notre Dame went from a west coast offense to.... a west coast offense. We went from a never pass unless its a play action bomb or third and twenty, in which case we will probably run a quarterback draw anyways to.... a west coast offense. Slight difference there in case anyone didnt notice, not to mention our offense sucked even before BC got here. Thank god for d-will. Doesnt anyone else remember the Utah State game where they came out and marched right down the field on us twice in the first qaurter, and we couldnt stop them until we lined up williams at defensive end? Teams loaded with talent dont have to line up their best open field tackler at defensive end to beat Utah State. That would have been one ugly loss at Lincoln.

In 2006 we will be set at Q/B. Will be breaking in unproved R/B's. and few new O/l. 2007 Will be breaking in 2 new Q/B's, D/B's. but R/B"s and O/L should be much better by then. Should have C/B, S, L/B stock piled by then as long as we are getting high school recruits and not juco's. In 2006 we will be good and 2007 should be about the same, but I think 2008 is the year we go for all the marble's. I would like to see it happen before than but I won't throw this staff under the bus if it doesn't. They are bring in the player that can take this program back to where it belongs. I think they are going to do it.

GBR!!!!

You have to have coaches to develop the talent, not matter how good or bad. These coaches havent shown that ability, and I doubt they ever will.

I don't know how you can say this staff cannot develop talent. Former NU coaches McBride, Young and Tenopir have faith in this staff and they are a better judge of coaching prowess than you or I will ever be. Not enough time has gone by before this staff can be judged.

Funny, because if you watched the OU/NU game, Switzer (with TO) during his interview made the comment that TO's offense would surely work today, essentially taking a shot at those who say that the WCO is the gold standard, and the option is dead. I think that those guys know a little more than the rest of us too :thumbs

It is common knowledge that Coach Osborne and his staff were masters at taking a kid from Nebraska and turning them into contributors to the program. But TO used to have 5 years to develop talent, that is not the case anymore.  With the 85 scholarship limits, we cannot stockpile the talent like we used to.  Recruiting misses that occured under the Frank Solich regime are magnified more than ever.  Patience friends, patience.

Then this staff had better learn really fast how to develop players, cause when one of their vaunted recruits misses, its really gonna show.

Then this staff had better learn really fast how to develop players, cause when one of their vaunted recruits misses, its really gonna show.

You're right, it will show early in the BC era simply because the talent level was so short when he got here, especially in the O-line, which happens to be the area where we are stuggling the most this year

Check out the O-Linemen recruited for the past 5 years.

2001 - Seppo starts, but began as a D-lineman

Incognito was good, but left program early

Pike in 5th year and is a non-factor

2002 - Mann starter at center

Leslie, Phillips, Timm all have left the program

2003 - Austin starter at guard

Byford is burried on depth chart

Delone (JC), Schuler are both gone from program

2004 - Christensen, Huff, Murtha, Muy, Thomas

2005 - Pasteur (JC), JPicou (JC), Hickman, RPicou, Roark

2004 and 2005 is a decent class numbers-wise, whether or not they can play remains to be seen, but Christensen was starter at guard before being injuried, Thomas starts, but stinks and Murtha has shown talent on the field. 2001 and 2002 we recruited the same number of lineman (5) as the new regime had in 2005 alone. That if you ask me is a huge reason why our O-line struggles. (I got the list off another board, so if the numbers are wrong, blame the other board)

Bunk. You have to have coaches to develop the talent, not matter how good or bad. These coaches havent shown that ability, and I doubt they ever will.

former, you are wrong here.....completely wrong. one year of recruiting has not nor will it not make for instant success.........instant gratification is for juveniles, get real with the world.........any changes, be it in how your company is run or how a football team is put together takes time......be realistic and qive these guys a chance, hell how would you fare if you were told to take over a failing segment of your company and turn things around? i guess if you couldn't change it immediately you should be given the boot too? think about your unrealistic expectations........alot of things have happened this year that are beyond the control of the coaches, think about it.........

hunter

Maybe...maybe not. The examples that are used most often on this board as teams that have regained prominence are Oklahoma, USC, and Notre Dame.

USC - 5-7 year before Pete Carroll

6-6 1st season

11-2 2nd season

Oklahoma - 5-6 year before Stoops

8-4 1st season

13-0 2nd season

Notre Dame - 6-6 year before Weis

5-2 so far 1st season

These coaches were able to take what were percieved as bad teams (or at least underacheiving teams) and make them respectable their first year. Then with their first full class under their belt, they exploded. So what's our deal? Were we really that much worse than OU in 98 or USC in 2000? Point is...when do we stop making excuses? These guys were brought in to bring us back to prominence and so far they have shown us nothing. I say if there aren't big results (minimum North division title) next year, I'll be convinced it's not going to happen.

Only a few minor problems with your Oklahoma, USC, and Notre Dame comparisons (i am sure you know what those minor problems are). Let's start out the the easiest minor problem :sarcasm

PASSING

Oklahoma had a passing game before Stoops came. In fact, John Blake changed the offense 3 times in a season and 2 of those changes included heavy passing routes, etc.

USC had a passing game down in a spread offense similiar to what Spurrier ran at Florida, before Pete Carroll took over the USC program, so Carroll's job was made eaiser when he didn't have to teach a new terminology.

Notre Dame had recruited 3 years worth of West coast offense players under TY WILLINGHAM and the players were comfortable with the terminology having been in it for 3 years.

Then with their first full class under their belt, they exploded.  So what's our deal?  Were we really that much worse than OU in 98 or USC in 2000?

Again, like i said, those 3 teams had a passing game to go with their running game. Nebraska's version of a passing attack was options pitches. Callahan is taking players recruited for the option and teaching them another offense. If people think that's an easy job, try learning a new language at the age of 18. That's how difficult it is. When an offensive lineman grows up playing in a system that is more geared towards a run offense then a passing offense, trying to get them to learn basic footwork for a passing block is that difficult. No matter how hard you try, some people just can't absorb the language and the concept.

nameless you are wasting your breath bro! Common sense type of stuff are wasted on some. Anyone one should be able to turn the tv on and see miami or texas or usc and tell there is a major talent gap between us and them right this second. Hell it is going to take time took Mac Brown 6 years of solid top 10

recruiting to be smoking people that they play now. Look at there second string there is not much drop off from first sstring to second string. I have learned that some people are not Happy UNLESS THEY ARE BITCHING!

Here's what i've decided to do... stop comparing Callahan to Stoops or Carroll.... stop comparing this team to USC and Oklahoma. We can't all be exactly alike. We had less talent than those schools and a more drastic change to make. I think if anything, we should compare our team to UCLA. When their coach was hired they talked about how complicated their offense was and look at it now. It took them a few good recruiting classes but look at them now.

Ok,let's just sit back and observe. We'll be able to determine if the WCO is good or bad and what we should do in about a year. If next year, this time we have gotten beat by the good( Texas), the bad (Mizzou), and the ugly (Colorado), we can judge what should be done about Callahan and the offense. It's hard to watch the season unfold into something ugly when you knew the whole time it was going to happen but could do nothing about it. I hate feeling helpless and hopeless about the Huskers. But I have faith and I know that we will only be down for so long before we are back. Alabama, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and others were down for almost a decade. I hate the thought of having to wait a decade and go through 4 coaches before we are back though.

Another thing......

How far would OU have went in 2000 without Rocky Calmus(sp?) and Roy Williams?????

That's what we are like right now!!!!!

Did OU's offense score a bunch of points on FSU????? NO!!!! Final score was 13-2!!!!

We had a GREAT D until we lost some major contributors.

Let's get some depth and we will return to greatness!!!!!!!

GO BIG RED

I think We still have a good D.

You look at OU's Schedule.

OU scored 24 on UCLA (8-0) when they had QB problems......UCLA scored more and won

They only scored one more TD on our D (INT 4 TD).......we just didn't score enough.

Good teams score on good Defenses, we just keep waiting to loooooong to get a rhythm on offense (after we're down 21 pts).

How many teams have scored 28 on Texas??????? UT spotted OSU 28 points and came back a won it with their offense. OSU scored more points on UT than Texas Tech???

We'll get there Husker fans, don't give up the ship just yet.