Another text formatting issue

Enhance

Test this out and tell me if you have the same issue I'm having.

1) Start typing in regular format.

2) Turn italics on and type a couple of words.

3) Turn italics off and then continue typing a couple of extra words.

4) Hit the delete key once.

Here's an example. The following sentence should read - "I like brown dogs."

This is what happens when I try to delete the 's' - "I like browndogs"

It deleted the space between the words, instead of the 's'.

Instead of deleting the most previous letters, does it take you back to the italicized portion of your writing? It does the same thing with bold too. I started a previous thread over a month ago, detailing how the board's updated text formatting options would mess up (it's only a little ways down on the first page of board feedback). I know AR Husker Fan was going to look into it, but I assume the issue was too complicated to mess with. Is there any possible fix to this issue, or does it fall into the same category as my previous issue? I generally include italics in my posts, and although it is a minor problem, it's frustrating on a personal level ( :) ).

The quick brown fox jumpe over....

hm, you are right. Thank you for this, Enhance. I don't know if we can fix it - it is probably a bug with the third-party WYSIWIG editing interface being used. But when anyone does get a chance to take an in-depth look at it, stuff like this will be veryhelpful. ;)

We did try and locate where this was happening, and as zoogies noted, we think it rests with the use of third-party editors that are utilized by IP.Board in the interface. We'll keep looking - it's an interesting issue, if nothing else - but if it is the third party editors, then we won't be able to fix it through the editors as we won't be able to get to the source code.

• 2 weeks later...

Came across a possible fix for losers like me. Instead of using text manipulators before/after the word you want to manipulate, I believe that if you go back, highlight the word and then manipulate it, (and then try to delete something later) it won't go back to the manipulated term.

In fact, I tested it on "then" and it worked just fine. If you highlight>italicize it shouldn't cause any problems.

THis is a different issue--possibly a formatting issue--that I didn't think it needed its own thread:

What is the "(null)" I see at the bottom of posts once in a while?? Like here at post #59: LINK

If you try and quote it, it shows up in the reply box. Perhaps it's some inside joke some posters have going on?

It could be more than that. Whatever it was before the post is processed, if it gets processed incorrectly as (NULL), then it will come out that way as editable text within the post. Maybe it's some missing emoticon or BBcode or something of that kind? Or even a special character entity pasted into the WYSIWIG interface and escaped improperly.

Best thing that would help us track this down: if it happens to you, let us know, if you can remember, what you typed before it came out as (NULL).

• 1 month later...

Here's one I have only started to get recently. I use chrome -- anyone else?

1. Manually type in a QUOTE tag.

2. Paste text.

3. New line. Manually close it with the closing /QUOTE tag.

4. Press enter.

5. Watch as the cursor moves to just before the start of the /QUOTE tag.