The DUH-Stick

Colorado game - -1995 in Boulder. NU #2, CU #7

The Buff players march down thru the stadium. The crowd is nuts. Insanely nuts.

We get the ball first.

Frazier in the huddle and one of the linemen is amped, losing composure, the atmosphere of the crowd is messing with him.

Frazier grabs his facemask and gives a little stare into the lineman's eyes and says "do your f'ing job"

They break huddle. Snap. Green goes 57 yards on a play TO designed specifically for the game. Touchdown. 1 play into the game.

Score at end of 1st quarter NU 21 - 7 and 31-14 at the half.

I remember discussing this game with a friend after the game and we nit-picked having to settle for only one field goal in the 3rd quarter due to some mistake.

After some discussion the "DUH-stick" hit us when we realized we complained because we had to settle for a field goal on the road against a rival that hated us and used every possible method to rattle us.

We had the ball for 35 minutes.

We had NO penalties

We had NO turnovers

We had 500 yards of offense.

And by the way, this isn't even the THE game we all remember from the 95 season. Let that sink in. Deeper, deeper, a little deeper.

Now - what does this have to do with Nebraska Right NOW?

After decades of frustration, TO created a perfect storm for 5 seasons that simply will NEVER be repeated by anyone again. We have to move on and realize that hopefully in the next 15 years BO can create a perfect storm, too. Meanwhile, we gotta settle for some 3 or 4 loss seasons.

After decades of frustration, TO created a perfect storm for 5 seasons that simply will NEVER be repeated by anyone again. We have to move on and realize that hopefully in the next 15 years BO can create a perfect storm, too. Meanwhile, we gotta settle for some 3 or 4 loss seasons.

In the 70's Nebraska played in 2 National Title Games, 80's they played in 1 National Title Game, 90's they played in 4 National Title Games, 2000's they played in 1 National Title Game. Let that sink in a little bit. They have played in at least 1 Title Game every decade since the 70's. Nebraska was good WAY BEFORE THE 90's.

You're basically saying that Nebraska fans should wait another 15 years to possibly play in a National Title game? That's 2027. You're telling me Nebraska should go from 2001 to 2027 without playing for a National Title? 26 years? Almost 3 decades? When they have played in a title game every decade since the 60's.

Sorry, you are wrong. I HAVE WAY HIGHER EXPECTATIONS THAN THIS. NEBRASKA IS BETTER THAN THIS.

• Fire 3

Colorado game - -1995 in Boulder. NU #2, CU #7

The Buff players march down thru the stadium. The crowd is nuts. Insanely nuts.

We get the ball first.

Frazier in the huddle and one of the linemen is amped, losing composure, the atmosphere of the crowd is messing with him.

Frazier grabs his facemask and gives a little stare into the lineman's eyes and says "do your f'ing job"

They break huddle. Snap. Green goes 57 yards on a play TO designed specifically for the game. Touchdown. 1 play into the game.

Score at end of 1st quarter NU 21 - 7 and 31-14 at the half.

I remember discussing this game with a friend after the game and we nit-picked having to settle for only one field goal in the 3rd quarter due to some mistake.

After some discussion the "DUH-stick" hit us when we realized we complained because we had to settle for a field goal on the road against a rival that hated us and used every possible method to rattle us.

We had the ball for 35 minutes.

We had NO penalties

We had NO turnovers

We had 500 yards of offense.

And by the way, this isn't even the THE game we all remember from the 95 season. Let that sink in. Deeper, deeper, a little deeper.

Now - what does this have to do with Nebraska Right NOW?

No penalties....what a novel concept.

In the 70's Nebraska played in 2 National Title Games, 80's they played in 1 National Title Game, 90's they played in 4 National Title Games, 2000's they played in 1 National Title Game. Let that sink in a little bit. They have played in at least 1 Title Game every decade since the 70's. Nebraska was good WAY BEFORE THE 90's.

You're basically saying that Nebraska fans should wait another 15 years to possibly play in a National Title game? That's 2027. You're telling me Nebraska should go from 2001 to 2027 without playing for a National Title? 26 years? Almost 3 decades? When they have played in a title game every decade since the 60's.

Sorry, you are wrong. I HAVE WAY HIGHER EXPECTATIONS THAN THIS. NEBRASKA IS BETTER THAN THIS.

Me too, but that doesn't mean they will be fulfilled. We haven't been in a NC game since 2000, so 11 years. Since our streak started in the 70's, have we gone a decade between NC games until now?

Since most here wanna compare Bo to TO all the time :facepalm: I guess I'll pile on. It took TO 10 year? 11? before he played for a National Championship. So to use the excuse "we play in a championship game every decade bla bla bla" well I have some bad news for you, Bo has 8 seasons before this decade is up. Solich was in one last decade. Hate to say but this is an idiotic point of view. It's as bad as bagging on Bo because we are 10-7 in our last 17 games. Get grip. No more beating around the bush. People that want Bo gone are idiots. Simple as that.

• Fire 1

Since most here wanna compare Bo to TO all the time :facepalm: I guess I'll pile on. It took TO 10 year? 11? before he played for a National Championship. So to use the excuse "we play in a championship game every decade bla bla bla" well I have some bad news for you, Bo has 8 seasons before this decade is up. Solich was in one last decade. Hate to say but this is an idiotic point of view. It's as bad as bagging on Bo because we are 10-7 in our last 17 games. Get grip. No more beating around the bush. People that want Bo gone are idiots. Simple as that.

I think folks are tired of the following:

Losing at home

Losing to unranked opponents

Getting blown out

Penalties

Lack of playing time for anyone, but the starters

IMO, no player development

Questionable coaching hires (at least for me OC and DC)

The whole perceived or real opinion of Bo that the fans suck or Bo hates the fans

The whole coach speak and horrific pressers

I don't know if Bo is the right coach for NU. Is his record great for four years? Absolutely. He is a young head coach and deserves time. TO learned under the Bob Father. Bo is learning as he goes. It doesn't help to hire position coaches with, again IMO, no real definitive resume, who have to be "taught" their jobs and also learn on the fly.

We have had the perfect storm of coaching staffs, but not in a good way. Fisher, Els, Raymond, Beck and now JP no real experience in their current positions. Cotton with an O line that has been suspect at best.

Look at our talent to include lack of and lack of use/development of. We have 3 walk-ons starting on D and IIRC 2 walkons on the O line. What other schools in the top 25 have this? I am guessing absolutely none. We have guys who started like Osbourne who are completely AWOL. PJ Smith the same. What about Cooper, SJB, Gillyen(sp?) and others. Recruiting misses? Lack of development? Sanders took a RB (Prince) and turned him into a first round pick.

We have an OC who once a play works never uses it again. He calls plays that we can't execute. In the Orange Bowl WV used tha flip pass 3 times for scores. Not 3 times in a season, BUT 3 times in one game. Clemson can't stop it so why should WV stop running it.

To be competitive, we have a long way to go. From the staff learning, the players getting "coached" up, developing a swagger, recruiting athletes and most importantly finding an offensive identity.

• Fire 4

Looking at elite teams since the NU BobFather era began. AP National Championships by the top all time winning teams in history/

Alabama went from 66 to 79 to 91 to 2009 - roughly every 20 years between MNC

Texas went from 70 to 2005 - 35 years

OU from 74, 75 to 85 - 2001 - roughly every 20 years

Notre Dame 66, 73, 77, 88

USC 62, 67, 72, 2003, 04

NU 70, 71, 94, 95,

Michigan 97

Ohio State 68, 2002

I think you see my point? When you look at actually winning national championships (playing for a national championship is usually undefinable in a non-play off system, for example, did Alabama "play" us for a nationalship in the orange bowl in 1971 or would OU have been #1 if we lost to Alabama?) see here for examples of how many teams were considered national champions by various entities since 1960. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_national_championships_in_NCAA_Division_I_FBS

So, to say it could take 15 years under Bo to create a perfect storm of talent, attitude, luck, schedule and coaching to win a national championship is consistant with what history teaches us about college football "dynasties"

You've got some good points but I'll look at a couple:

Losing at home

I don't like it any more than anyone else. But you also have to look around. You phrased it slightly differently but a lot of people say "losing to teams we shouldn't." I did some checking on this awhile ago (I'd have to start over on "unranked" so I'll use the "shouldn't lose to" for now). By my count, LSU, Alabama, Kansas St. and one other team (can't remember which now) were the only teams that hadn't lost to someone they "shouldn't lose to" in the last two years. That's it - only four teams have gone TWO YEARS without losing to "someone they shouldn't". We have a good team but not a great team. I wish we had a great team but we don't. Neither does most the rest of the country. We're far, far ahead of where we were although we didn't make progress this year. Even being a really good team doesn't make you immune (just ask Okie St. or Wisconsin). That's just how college football is now.

We have an OC who once a play works never uses it again. He calls plays that we can't execute. In the Orange Bowl WV used tha flip pass 3 times for scores. Not 3 times in a season, BUT 3 times in one game. Clemson can't stop it so why should WV stop running it.

I just think you're flat wrong on this. We ran the same play about 11 times in a row against Washington and again against Wyoming. We run the "Toss G" with regularity. One game (can't remember which now) Burkhead was under center and ran option about three times in a row. We run the old-fashioned option several times each game. I don't really remember us getting away from our base gameplan until we are forced to by time remaining or down & distance.

Where in this thread has anyone said that Bo should be gone? You seem a little sensitive, lol. There was a point brought up about us playing for NC's in every decade since the 70's, which is interesting. We have gone over a decade since NEBRASKA, not Bo, has played for a NC. It seems to be a curios question as to when, since the streak began, we have gone 10 years without playing for a NC. If you read this a Bo needs to be fired, you must not read well, lol.

Our lack of patience and perspective is amazing. I've seen my 3 year wait for ice cream more patiently than we wait for the national championship we "deserve". We make 3rd generation welfare moms seem appreciative of their checks compared to us appreciating our success of winning 9 games a season.

• Fire 2

You've got some good points but I'll look at a couple:

Losing at home

I don't like it any more than anyone else. But you also have to look around. You phrased it slightly differently but a lot of people say "losing to teams we shouldn't." I did some checking on this awhile ago (I'd have to start over on "unranked" so I'll use the "shouldn't lose to" for now). By my count, LSU, Alabama, Kansas St. and one other team (can't remember which now) were the only teams that hadn't lost to someone they "shouldn't lose to" in the last two years. That's it - only four teams have gone TWO YEARS without losing to "someone they shouldn't". We have a good team but not a great team. I wish we had a great team but we don't. Neither does most the rest of the country. We're far, far ahead of where we were although we didn't make progress this year. Even being a really good team doesn't make you immune (just ask Okie St. or Wisconsin). That's just how college football is now.

Off the top of my head. Oregon? Stanford? Arkansas? Hell, Iowa State? Not good records, but have they really lost to teams that they "shouldn't" have lost to?

Looking at elite teams since the NU BobFather era began. AP National Championships by the top all time winning teams in history/

Alabama went from 66 to 79 to 91 to 2009 - roughly every 20 years between MNC

Texas went from 70 to 2005 - 35 years

OU from 74, 75 to 85 - 2001 - roughly every 20 years

Notre Dame 66, 73, 77, 88

USC 62, 67, 72, 2003, 04

NU 70, 71, 94, 95, 97

Michigan 97

Ohio State 68, 2002

Fixed it for you.

• Fire 2