The DUH-Stick

Looking at elite teams since the NU BobFather era began. AP National Championships by the top all time winning teams in history/

Alabama went from 66 to 79 to 91 to 2009 - roughly every 20 years between MNC

Texas went from 70 to 2005 - 35 years

OU from 74, 75 to 85 - 2001 - roughly every 20 years

Notre Dame 66, 73, 77, 88

USC 62, 67, 72, 2003, 04

NU 70, 71, 94, 95, 97

Michigan 97

Ohio State 68, 2002

Fixed it for you.

Not in the AP.

Looking at elite teams since the NU BobFather era began. AP National Championships by the top all time winning teams in history/

USC 62, 67, 72, 2003, 04

NU 70, 71, 94, 95, 97

Michigan 97

Ohio State 68, 2002

Fixed it for you.

Awesome post. One of the best ever, tbh.

USC 62, 67, 72, 2003, 04

NU 70, 71, 94, 95, 97

Michigan 97

Ohio State 68, 2002

Fixed it for you.

Not in the AP.

Don't give a crap. Look at my sig...one of those giant trophies witht he crystal football is for our championship in 1997...and we won the bowl alliance game...mich. wasn't in the bowl alliance game.

Since most here wanna compare Bo to TO all the time :facepalm: I guess I'll pile on. It took TO 10 year? 11? before he played for a National Championship. So to use the excuse "we play in a championship game every decade bla bla bla" well I have some bad news for you, Bo has 8 seasons before this decade is up. Solich was in one last decade. Hate to say but this is an idiotic point of view. It's as bad as bagging on Bo because we are 10-7 in our last 17 games. Get grip. No more beating around the bush. People that want Bo gone are idiots. Simple as that.

Our lack of patience and perspective is amazing. I've seen my 3 year wait for ice cream more patiently than we wait for the national championship we "deserve". We make 3rd generation welfare moms seem appreciative of their checks compared to us appreciating our success of winning 9 games a season.

I agree. There is a HUGE difference between expecting to compete for a National Championship every year and thinking that anything less if failure. The first group aren't any less passionate but also reasonable. The second group need to look around at other schools that have won a National Title more recently at us and see how hard it is to stay on top (even at places that enjoy a lot more advantages than NU): Tennessee, Miami, Ohio St. (self-inflicted), Texas, Florida.

USC 62, 67, 72, 2003, 04

NU 70, 71, 94, 95,

Michigan 97

Ohio State 68, 2002

I think you see my point? When you look at actually winning national championships (playing for a national championship is usually undefinable in a non-play off system, for example, did Alabama "play" us for a nationalship in the orange bowl in 1971 or would OU have been #1 if we lost to Alabama?) see here for examples of how many teams were considered national champions by various entities since 1960. http://en.wikipedia...._Division_I_FBS

So, to say it could take 15 years under Bo to create a perfect storm of talent, attitude, luck, schedule and coaching to win a national championship is consistant with what history teaches us about college football "dynasties"

LSU 1958 2003 2007 (It took them almost 40 years before they won another NC and we're whining because Bo hasn't won one since he's been here?? Oh Brother! :facepalm: )

You've got some good points but I'll look at a couple:

I think folks are tired of the following:

Losing at home

Losing to unranked opponents

I don't like it any more than anyone else. But you also have to look around. You phrased it slightly differently but a lot of people say "losing to teams we shouldn't." I did some checking on this awhile ago (I'd have to start over on "unranked" so I'll use the "shouldn't lose to" for now). By my count, LSU, Alabama, Kansas St. and one other team (can't remember which now) were the only teams that hadn't lost to someone they "shouldn't lose to" in the last two years. That's it - only four teams have gone TWO YEARS without losing to "someone they shouldn't". We have a good team but not a great team. I wish we had a great team but we don't. Neither does most the rest of the country. We're far, far ahead of where we were although we didn't make progress this year. Even being a really good team doesn't make you immune (just ask Okie St. or Wisconsin). That's just how college football is now.

We have an OC who once a play works never uses it again. He calls plays that we can't execute. In the Orange Bowl WV used tha flip pass 3 times for scores. Not 3 times in a season, BUT 3 times in one game. Clemson can't stop it so why should WV stop running it.

I just think you're flat wrong on this. We ran the same play about 11 times in a row against Washington and again against Wyoming. We run the "Toss G" with regularity. One game (can't remember which now) Burkhead was under center and ran option about three times in a row. We run the old-fashioned option several times each game. I don't really remember us getting away from our base gameplan until we are forced to by time remaining or down & distance.

You really don't think we made ANY progress this year? I disagree (humbly :)) Taylor managed the game sooooo much better than last year, Bo is MUCH calmer on the sidelines (I know-still has along way to go but he is improving), we were actually able to contain a mobile quarterback by the end of the year. THAT is progress. Maybe we didn't make as much measurable progress but I think that depends on your criteria. What were Bo's goals/objectives for this year? I don't know, but to say that we didn't make ANY progress-sorry I don't buy it (jmho) :)

It took them almost 40 years before they won another NC and we're whining because Bo hasn't won one since he's been here?? Oh Brother! :facepalm:

You don't read very well if you think people around here are complaining becasue Bo hasn't won a National Title yet.

Let me recap it for you. People are complaining because:

1. The way Bo handles himself during games and the overall image he bestows upon Nebraska.

2. Our blowout losses.

Those are the main things people are upset about.

It took them almost 40 years before they won another NC and we're whining because Bo hasn't won one since he's been here?? Oh Brother! :facepalm:

You don't read very well if you think people around here are complaining becasue Bo hasn't won a National Title yet.

1. The way Bo handles himself during games and the overall image he bestows upon Nebraska.

2. Our blowout losses.

This. With the players we have you'd be crazy to think we're close to playing for a national title. I'd be thrilled to see us finish in the top 10. Don't see it happening next year. But it seems like everybody thinks 2013 is our year. Sad that we've gone from "There's always next year" to "There's always the year after next year."

2. Our blowout losses.

Sorry to disagree but people ARE complaining about the fact that we haven't won a NC in the last 10 years. They're also complaining because we haven't won a conference title since Bo's been here too. And I agree that they are also complaining about those things listed above. It happens after every loss. Go back and read some of the posts that people have written after the losses we've had this year. You'll see them :)

You've got some good points but I'll look at a couple:

I think folks are tired of the following:

Losing at home

Losing to unranked opponents

I don't like it any more than anyone else. But you also have to look around. You phrased it slightly differently but a lot of people say "losing to teams we shouldn't." I did some checking on this awhile ago (I'd have to start over on "unranked" so I'll use the "shouldn't lose to" for now). By my count, LSU, Alabama, Kansas St. and one other team (can't remember which now) were the only teams that hadn't lost to someone they "shouldn't lose to" in the last two years. That's it - only four teams have gone TWO YEARS without losing to "someone they shouldn't". We have a good team but not a great team. I wish we had a great team but we don't. Neither does most the rest of the country. We're far, far ahead of where we were although we didn't make progress this year. Even being a really good team doesn't make you immune (just ask Okie St. or Wisconsin). That's just how college football is now.

We have an OC who once a play works never uses it again. He calls plays that we can't execute. In the Orange Bowl WV used tha flip pass 3 times for scores. Not 3 times in a season, BUT 3 times in one game. Clemson can't stop it so why should WV stop running it.

I just think you're flat wrong on this. We ran the same play about 11 times in a row against Washington and again against Wyoming. We run the "Toss G" with regularity. One game (can't remember which now) Burkhead was under center and ran option about three times in a row. We run the old-fashioned option several times each game. I don't really remember us getting away from our base gameplan until we are forced to by time remaining or down & distance.

You really don't think we made ANY progress this year? I disagree (humbly :)) Taylor managed the game sooooo much better than last year, Bo is MUCH calmer on the sidelines (I know-still has along way to go but he is improving), we were actually able to contain a mobile quarterback by the end of the year. THAT is progress. Maybe we didn't make as much measurable progress but I think that depends on your criteria. What were Bo's goals/objectives for this year? I don't know, but to say that we didn't make ANY progress-sorry I don't buy it (jmho) .

We averaged less points per game and gave up more points per game with same number of losses and a worse in-conference record. Spin it however you want but I didn't see much for progress.

2. Our blowout losses.

Really? People aren't complaining about not playing for a national championship in over 10 years? Says the guy who made a post about Nebraska's national championship history to use it as a reason why Bo Pelini isn't the right coach for Nebraska...

WHAT?!?

2. Our blowout losses.

Really? People aren't complaining about not playing for a national championship in over 10 years? Says the guy who made a post about Nebraska's national championship history to use it as a reason why Bo Pelini isn't the right coach for Nebraska...

WHAT?!?

Ladyhawke said people are complaining that we haven't won a NC since Bo got here. That is 4 years, not 10. Little bit of a difference. Reading comprehension, something you learn in 3rd grade. Try it sometime.

Since most here wanna compare Bo to TO all the time :facepalm: I guess I'll pile on. It took TO 10 year? 11? before he played for a National Championship. So to use the excuse "we play in a championship game every decade bla bla bla" well I have some bad news for you, Bo has 8 seasons before this decade is up. Solich was in one last decade. Hate to say but this is an idiotic point of view. It's as bad as bagging on Bo because we are 10-7 in our last 17 games. Get grip. No more beating around the bush. People that want Bo gone are idiots. Simple as that.

Where in this thread has anyone said that Bo should be gone? You seem a little sensitive, lol. There was a point brought up about us playing for NC's in every decade since the 70's, which is interesting. We have gone over a decade since NEBRASKA, not Bo, has played for a NC. It seems to be a curios question as to when, since the streak began, we have gone 10 years without playing for a NC. If you read this a Bo needs to be fired, you must not read well, lol.

It wasn't said in this thread...until then. But when it's in every single thread on this site in one place or another, you start just expecting it anyway. I'm sure if I went to 'Daily Skin', there's a picture of Kate Upton holding a sign that says 'fire Bo'.

ok ok, there seems to be some animosity building up here... lets get back to the subject.

I tend to agree with a lot of the points made in the original post. Most notably, the points that consist on how we lose games. In Bo's first 2 seasons we won games that kids were coached up to compete in. Down @ TTech we played a hell of a game and came close at the end with a late turnover that killed it. But then there were losses against teams that were frustrating like Mizzou and VaTech. Iowa state and tech in 09 where we had a legitimate chance of having a special season.

In the last couple of years I think the biggest concern in some areas is talent and coaching. Obviously some changes have been made and it does take some time to get things ironed out. (i'm still waiting for the starch to set) The talent part of my concern has to deal with the kids that see PT vs. the kids that dont. When you do have some talent like Turner he needs to see the field. I understand if a kid isnt going all out in practice and you sit him. I applaud that! but for half the season, cmon man! Guys like Fischer and cassidy seeing alot of the PT when you have osborne and smith who can fill in at safety.

So my 2 largest concerns deal with these 2 subjects. Not that we havent played for a title, but that we havent put the best product on the field to compete for such titles as MNC and CC.

USC 62, 67, 72, 2003, 04

NU 70, 71, 94, 95, 97

Michigan 97

Ohio State 68, 2002

Fixed it for you.

Not in the AP.

Don't give a crap. Look at my sig...one of those giant trophies witht he crystal football is for our championship in 1997...and we won the bowl alliance game...mich. wasn't in the bowl alliance game.

Exactly. Who gives a rip about the Pac-10/Big Ten's little exclusivity party back in the 90s? They were stupid and blind not to join the bowl alliance and they don't get a share of the 97 title in my eyes. If they wanted to be champions they should have played the best of the best, not some hack team on a hot streak.

I find it hard to stomach Nebraska fans who would give the 1997 title to Michigan rather than Nebraska. We were willing to play them. They were not willing to play us. Case closed.