TE to DE?

LIke most of you, I have been watching the bowl games and now the NFL play offs. One thing that struck me that two teams, both winners, had DE that were former TE's.

Arkansas had one that IIRC was a TE during the season and made the switch. The Texans had a TE that switched as well. BOth played extremly well.

I am giving up all hope that Bo will re-create a Super D so I am posing this question.

We had improving DE play from Ankrah and Martin, Cam appears to have gotten too big and/or slow. Is it possible or probable that we could move one of our TE's to the DE position and how would Cam do inside as a tackle. Listed at 6'4 260, Crick is listed at 280 and Baker at 290. I am sure he could put on another 20 lbs. He seems to move quickly up the field, but not a lot of lateral or closing speed. If this is not an option, then he needs to drop about 20 lbs and get his quicks back.

Thoughts

Cam took a step back from a year ago and his speed has become a question.

As for our TE I'm not sure we have a TE on our roster right now that could make the switch. I'd like to see Eric Martin become a full time starter at DE come next fall.

Martin may not have the mental part as well as others, but his motor and heart are needed on the feild. His upside is worth the random missed reads. Maybe it would be contagious and kick start our line.

Cam battled through some injuries, but I think he was still a beast at DE we are lucky to have. We will need some bigtime 'stepping-up' from other players there. All that depth, but nobody has really emerged yet to take that other end spot, have that? There's Carter, Ankrah, Josh Williams, Eric Martin, etc...or was Martin back at LB.

Someone has to step up and take control of the position opposite Cam.

Aren't we deeper at DE than TE?

Very much so. In the past two seasons how many DE's have you seen take the field? Meredith, Carter, Allen, Martin, Williams, and Ankrah.

and how many TE's? Reed, Cotton and Long.

I hope next year we play some new guys, not saying Cotton and Reed aren't good, they deserve their catches first. But if we lose Cotton and Reed without playing anybody next year, 2013 will be a rough year for the Tight Ends.