Shatel: NU sky not falling despite struggles

Nexus

Hurricanes. Floods. Tornadoes. Nebraska fans. Not necessarily in that order.

Husker fans are a force of nature. For a coach, athletic director or sports columnist, they are the gift that keeps on giving. They are relentless. Never take a day off.

In most corners of the press box, the fans wouldn't be a story. Here, I disagree.

Husker fans are part of the story. They are stockholders and caretakers, both guardians and providers of the flame. Heck, they are the flame. It's been that way since this party started, 50 years ago this fall.

Continue Reading

Was this the article that DA Skers warned everyone about?

Not much to disagree or agree with in the article. Shatel himself said he doesn't have a point by saying he's not sure who's minority & majority and what the fan base truly believes (outside of a few people he talked to). It does seem he talked to negative people, is that because of "loaded questions?"

I guess I expected worse since we have a 1-2 page thread about the OWH and their style of journalism. This article seemed on par with with the rest of the stuff they write, except for Mckewon (sp?). I guess it still might be coming, what's the word DA?

Someone please help me... what was the point of this article?

What do you mean what was the point? He painted an accurate picture of the state of NU athletics and the mood of the fans. He then goes on to say it really isn't as bad as it seems. It's a completely legitimate column. It's written in the style Tom always writes. What is your point? I'm sure you probably don't like Tom and the rest of the OWH writers because they don't kiss Bo's ass enough for you. I'm sick of people complaining about these writers. Get a life. That's what they do.

• Fire 1

What do you mean what was the point? He painted an accurate picture of the state of NU athletics and the mood of the fans. He then goes on to say it really isn't as bad as it seems. It's a completely legitimate column. It's written in the style Tom always writes. What is your point? I'm sure you probably don't like Tom and the rest of the OWH writers because they don't kiss Bo's ass enough for you. I'm sick of people complaining about these writers. Get a life. That's what they do.

Yes, those poor, poor professional journalists. Someone says something bad about one of their articles and.... tears.

Give it a rest. Shatel can have detractors. It's not a crime.

Their life is totally dependent on getting the sheep to believe dreamed up rumors/speculations and then buy their newspaper.

I don't blame Bo one iota for ignoring them. "Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine...."

Newspaper writers everywhere have one goal these days. Report the news as it is? Far from it! Their goal is to sell newspapers and if that means they need to drum up some controversy to do it, they always have and always will. I'm sure their editors have told them the bottom line and for hard print papers these days, that line is close to red in most cases. Tom is just trolling for some response to see if anything grabs the bate. After the bowl game there is always some discontent. As soon as signing day passes we'll mostly be drinking the kool-aid again about how this new crop will lead us to the promised land again finally.

Only about 10 schools get most of the kids they go after. The rest of the 120 odd schools get to fight for the scraps left over. Every year it's a crap shoot and Bo and the coaches have to find a way to coach them up. The good talent we have is mostly young but the learning curve is high. Bo isn't perfect and neither are the young coaches.....they win some and lose some. I'm not ready to throw away 4 years of hard work because we "only" have 9 win seasons. About 100 other Div 1 programs would love to have a 9 win season.

the article was as fair as anyone could hope for........Pelini and Doc are on the hot seat, simple as that. I would guess TO's phone is ringing too....a lot more than we might suspect, then again, maybe not. but the overall image many of us see is a coach and a football team under achieving, frustrated coaches making regretable comments, at odds with reporters........lack of team comradrie, it is all missing and sadly Bo keeps saying "we got to fix us"........"we'll be fine".

we are not fine

A little off topic, but with all the talk about sports journalism, LJS vs OWH, etc, has anyone ever read an article of Dave Sittler's? Probably the most well-known sports journalist in Oklahoma. He covers the Big 12 and writes for the Tulsa World. Does he have a bias?

I mean, "What was the point?" haha. It's not that I disagreed with anything in the article, it's that I really did not understand the purpose for it to exist. Basically, Shatel wrote that the fans are angry, and since his readers are the fans, we kinda knew that already. Then he specified that the football team finished on a bad note (duh), that the basketball team sucks (duh), and that baseball season is right around the corner (duuuuuh). Then he said that fans still cared about Nebraska athletics, which again, we already knew, since we are the fans.

That was it. That was the entire article. He didn't even give his opinion about any of it, he just said a bunch of obvious stuff that everyone already knew. He could have just said, "Football season ended rough, basketball team sucks, but baseball's coming up so whatevs."

I guess, in this instance, I'm less worried about journalists trying to report on important issues with 140 character statements on Twitter, and more worried about them writing an entire article on something that could have easily been expressed in a single tweet.

• Fire 1