BCS meeting Tuesday to discuss future playoff options

Nexus

NEW ORLEANS—Ugly doesn’t begin to describe it. But it most certainly defined it—in such a profound way that even the men who run this crazy, controversial contraption we call the Bowl Championship Series are giving in.

Years from now, this BCS National Championship Game won’t be remembered so much for Alabama’s utter domination of LSU as it will the beginning of radical change in college football. A national playoff is coming, everyone.

Continue Reading

Shatel weighs in:

The BCS championship game is over and now the fun begins. Get ready for BCS change.

Can Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany stop it? Should he even want to?

The BCS commissioners will meet in New Orleans on Tuesday, and BCS Executive Director Bill Hancock says "everything is on the table." We assume that means changes, not gift bags.

Continue Reading

if the bcs goes away we go back to the bowl system. There isn't going to be a playoff unless it keeps the bowls getting all their money and the top schools/conferences getting all theirs.

I.E. Watch them discuss it, watch them also decide not yet. If it were me, I'd tell people to watch the NFL if they want a playoff, and watch college football if they wanted actual official review and a fair (at least on the field) game, and if they wanted more football to go see a UFL game or two and support that league.

the thing is they need to make it based off of conference champions, and maybe require a champ game or something. at large bids (wild cards) for the smaller dogs to fill things out. small playoff, rest can still do bowls. I don't think plus one really does a whole lot. It would have helped this year i guess, but people still think LSU is number 2 so whatever. SEC should just split into its own league according to the rest of the world.

the thing is they need to make it based off of conference champions, and maybe require a champ game or something. at large bids (wild cards) for the smaller dogs to fill things out. small playoff, rest can still do bowls. I don't think plus one really does a whole lot. It would have helped this year i guess, but people still think LSU is number 2 so whatever. SEC should just split into its own league according to the rest of the world.

completely disagree, they need to go back to the old bowl alliances and say screw every media member that will cry about it, and then tell the "we want CFB to be the NFL" croud to just go ahead and sleep through saturdays or go mow the lawn.

In return, Im done with my yardwork experiment, and I'm absolutely sure waiting untill noon or later on sundays works for me to mow, clean gutters, etc. So long as I don't have to catch the NFL fair is freaking fair. Hell I'll also throw in not watching basketball if they leave real football alone (nobody tell the rest of the country what that means here).

The conference champion thing is a big kicker for me. It just doesnt seem right. No common sense. This year. Alabama. Wasnt the best team in their conference. Not even the best in their division. But now theyre the best in the country because some computers and biased voters said they deserved a chance. This system is great when there's only two unanimous undefeated champs of major conferences (only in what 99, 02, 05, and '10?) Otherwise there has always been controversey. It's a national championship. It should be played out on the field. Then there's the argument that there's rematches in the NFL, and division champions dont always win the Super Bowl, but all division champions also have the opportunity to do so. Take the 6 champions from our so called 6 big conferences, throw in the best 2 remaining teams, whether theyre AQ teams or not, and play out a nice 8 team, 3 week gig. Then there's the argument of why should a West Virginia or Clemson get a shot over say a Arkansas or Alabama in this year's case. Well, if your'e good enough, your gonna win your conference or get the wild card anyway. If they want to keep the importance of the regular season, they need to base this thing of off conference champions, and regulate non conference scheduling. It's just a mess, but no matter what is done, half will be unhappy.

Enough with all this 'we need to protect the regular season' crap. I've had it with that. There needs to be at least a 16 team playoff system. Forget all these damn bowl games. The bowl system stinks. There is so much more money to be made for the Universities in a playoff system. Losing one game during the regular season shouldn't prevent you from being able to be a national champion. If people are insistent on keeping the bowl games, then fine, keep the top big bowls that teams that don't get in to the playoff can go to. I would have no problem with that. A playoff system would make the post season much more exciting. Better matchups than the vast majority of bowl games. I never watch any regular season FCS games but I watch as many playoff games as I can each year even though I know nothing about any of the teams because it's so great!

Everybody needs to get their heads out of their asses, especially the conference commissioners and University presidents.