NU moving to a 3-4 defense?

C N Red

Bo is stubborn.

He will run the defense he wants, regardless of the personnel.

Uh. Well fortunately for Bo, he has the ability to bring in the personnel to match the defense he wants to run.

I think 2011 disagrees with you.

On the other hand, whether stubbornness is bad is debatable. Having a system and sticking to it is a good thing. You don't let guys freelance. You don't want to make radical changes year to year, I think. But some adjustment is good and I think Bo did eventually try a lot of different things on D this year, especially with personnel.

So I'd say Bo is right to run the system he is comfortable in, and only to change things up as a last resort.

But of course if his name were not Pelini, but instead Callahan or Watson, he would be derided ... square peg, round hole, all that stuff. In the end, whether stubborness is a good or bad thing depends on whether you like the guy or not, I think ;) Still, I hope Bo shows in 2012 that he can figure out this transition in the roster we are experiencing.

How bout we get really good at the defense we're running now!!!

A 3-4 isn't much of a stretch from what Nebraska is doing now with a 2 gap. In fact, a 3-4 would cover more gaps than a 4-3 stack, in a 2-gap scheme. It seems like that in my estimation.

I'm just an idiot though.

I am actually an idiot so you'll have to explain that stuff to me more. How does that work?

I don't see the pass rushing LBs here. Maybe we can get Meredith to come off the edge, but would he be more effective than he is now? I don't see the stout run-stuffers we can put at end, and definitely unsure about the space-eating behemoth at NT. It seems like we are lacking in the LB area, and the DTs are 4-3 DTs, and the DEs are a bit lacking, and neither 3-4 DEs nor 3-4 OLBs.

Zoogies, you are correct. We do not have a space eater NT. Unless Peat is more of a beast than we think. Baker or Rome would have to fill that position. As far as LB's. We still don't know about the red shirt freshman. So in my opinion. No way we switch at this point.

Bo is stubborn.

He will run the defense he wants, regardless of the personnel.

Uh. Well fortunately for Bo, he has the ability to bring in the personnel to match the defense he wants to run.

I think 2011 disagrees with you.

So you are saying that we weren't running the best scheme for the personnel that we had. Which is false.

Didn't take the time to read all of the posts in this thread so sorry if I'm repeating anyone. I think it's pretty obvious that we are not at all moving to a 3-4 just by looking at the type of DTs we are recruiting. Williams and Peat last year along with Aaron Curry and Valentine (if we get one, both) say we are staying in the 4-3. The only one that can turn into a nose tackle is Valentine,

Willams, Peat, and Curry are all athletic and quick and will rush the passer. More so than being a cog in the middle to stop the run and take on multiple blockers. Curry even said in an article that Nebraska is moving away from monster DTs and wants quick guys. My two cents.