NU moving to a 3-4 defense?

C N Red

Honestly, it doesn't matter if we are running a 4-3, 3-4, 5-2 or any other defense out there. The fact of the matter is that we have some serious issues making tackles. The 4-3 would have been just fine against UCLA if we simply make tackles that we are supposed to make. So while moving to a 3-4 may sound like a good idea, it doesn't solve the real problem with the defense.

You are right but most of the missed tackles were a result of being out of position which is a result of being too slow. I think the coaches believe that if they get some speed out there the tackling issue will resolve itself. In other words, the root of the issue is speed rather than tackling itself.

You are right but most of the missed tackles were a result of being out of position which is a result of being too slow. I think the coaches believe that if they get some speed out there the tackling issue will resolve itself. In other words, the root of the issue is speed rather than tackling itself.

I'm not sure that's the right way to say it. What I saw was when guys were out of position it was mostly due to taking poor angles to the ball and going underneath blocks which puts them there. But when they were in position to make a play they either didn't come in under control and wrap up, or again they took a poor angle and tried to arm tackle.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if we are running a 4-3, 3-4, 5-2 or any other defense out there. The fact of the matter is that we have some serious issues making tackles. The 4-3 would have been just fine against UCLA if we simply make tackles that we are supposed to make. So while moving to a 3-4 may sound like a good idea, it doesn't solve the real problem with the defense.

Maybe some, but not most. We were just sloppy.

These coaches aren't dumb. We may disagree with some of the things they do, but they are not going to do this as a "last resort" type of solution. They know who they have as personnel and they know how to win. Bo knows what he's doing on defense, he isn't missing tackles and he isn't out of position on plays. You hear the players say it, they aren't executing.

yes, there are a number of other threads on this topic. However, the main 3-4 is a recently resurrected thread that was started months ago, and this one specifically is informative about how Nebraska might actually run the thing. There will be some parallels in the discussion, of course, but I think I will leave this thread as is.

I think the way it has been described, this would be "sorta" a 3-4 but is more just a wrinkle introduced to complement our base defense. Instead of the 4-man front with two ends and two tackles, we'd put three tackles up front, and the two "outside LBs" would just be two stand-up defensive ends. It blurs the positions a bit, but when you see guys transition to NFL 3-4s you see the same sort of thing, lighter DTs being kicked outside to 3-4 end, and ends converting to 3-4 OLBs.

So, here, we're not actually talking about moving Ankrah/Martin/Meredith to OLB, I think. More like they'll be put in a stand-up, rush the passer position. It *is* sort of a 5-2. It also parlays our depth at DT and masks our weaknesses at LB (there would be two LBs on the field), without going into a sub, extra-DB formation.

Bo is no stranger to experimenting around with his defense either. I think I remember some pretty exotic fronts, such as one DT only, everyone else standing up.

I really wish we would go to a 3-4 or 4-3 with zone blitzes. I think it would help our pass rush if the O linemen and QB don't know who is coming.

Blitzing our LBers doesn't help when they insist on running straight into O Lineman. When I see that it pisses me off so bad :steam