Hate crime?

I've never really understood why a crime needs to be classified as a "hate" crime. If some thugs break into my house and rape my wife or beat me or kill one of my children, why do people think it any worse if it happened to be some minorities home nd some racial slurs are tossed in? I just don't get it. I'm all for anything that might increase the punishment but aren't these actions the epitome of hate with or without some minority status being involved?

The South Park argument!

It doesn't have to be a minority status. That's kind of an odd assumption . . .

It very well could be an "odd' assumption but aren't the majority of "hate crime" classifications rooted in race somewhere.............??

Do you equate race and minority status? :dunno

how do you equate minority status? :confucius

Do you really need me to explain that to you?

Maybe I am wrong but it seems the "hate" crime moniker is usually reserved and related to some race status or sexual orientation status. I guess I worded my reservations about it wrongly. I don't see what it matters if the perps or the victims happen to be black, white, gay, straight, or whatever. The fact remains that a crime was committed. I just don't see what it matters if they hurled racial slurs or homophobic taunts while they were doing the crime. If we're talking about a rape or murder for instance, the victim has been harmed severely. Calling them a name during the act seems rather insignificant to me. LIke I said, I am all for anything that increases the punishment but I just don't see the sense in another stipulation that differentiates us based on race, color, sex, orientation, etc. Those things are not supposed to matter in this country because we are all equal. It seems we could possibly get over the hump of actually accepting everyone as equal if we weren't constantly treating people like they are somehow different.

Actually, I agree. When I said the "South Park Argument" I didn't mean that it was not correct. As far as I'm concerned though . . . this gives us one more tool to punish the perpetrators of particularly heinous crimes.

Carlfense quote:

Apparently, Your above statement has the I don't know emoticon, so I am not sure how you feel or think about it? :dunno

What is your question?

Do you equate race with minority status?

1239638148802.gif

Nooooo....... that's the question Carlfense asked. The question YOU asked was, "how do you equate minority status? :confucius"

Carlfense quote:

Apparently, Your above statement has the I don't know emoticon, so I am not sure how you feel or think about it? :dunno

What is your question?

1239638148802.gif

Nooooo....... that's the question Carlfense asked. The question YOU asked was, "how do you equate minority status? :confucius"

This guy is either the most successful troll ever . . . or . . . well . . .

Carlfense quote:

What is your question?

As knapplc noted, that was my question. If you are asking me to answer my own question the answer is "no."

Maybe I am wrong but it seems the "hate" crime moniker is usually reserved and related to some race status or sexual orientation status. I guess I worded my reservations about it wrongly. I don't see what it matters if the perps or the victims happen to be black, white, gay, straight, or whatever. The fact remains that a crime was committed. I just don't see what it matters if they hurled racial slurs or homophobic taunts while they were doing the crime. If we're talking about a rape or murder for instance, the victim has been harmed severely. Calling them a name during the act seems rather insignificant to me. LIke I said, I am all for anything that increases the punishment but I just don't see the sense in another stipulation that differentiates us based on race, color, sex, orientation, etc. Those things are not supposed to matter in this country because we are all equal. It seems we could possibly get over the hump of actually accepting everyone as equal if we weren't constantly treating people like they are somehow different.

I agree. I really don't understand why it should be a factor.

Carlfense quote:

What is your question?

As knapplc noted, that was my question. If you are asking me to answer my own question the answer is "no."

Finally you got it, thank you!! You two are so smart that you finally figured it out. chuckleshuffle

Carlfense quote:

What is your question?

Finally you got it, thank you!! You two are so smart that you finally figured it out. chuckleshuffle

Do you realize that "your" does not mean the same thing as "my?"

I guess we figured it out . . . now we'll wait patiently for you to do the same.

I've never really understood why a crime needs to be classified as a "hate" crime. If some thugs break into my house and rape my wife or beat me or kill one of my children, why do people think it any worse if it happened to be some minorities home nd some racial slurs are tossed in? I just don't get it. I'm all for anything that might increase the punishment but aren't these actions the epitome of hate with or without some minority status being involved?

The South Park argument!

It doesn't have to be a minority status. That's kind of an odd assumption . . .

It very well could be an "odd' assumption but aren't the majority of "hate crime" classifications rooted in race somewhere.............??

Do you equate race and minority status? :dunno

how do you equate minority status? :confucius

I wanted you to answer your own question. Had you answered it like this "If you are asking me to answer my own question the answer is "no."" then we would have avoided this whole page. Simple huh! :wasted

I wanted you to answer your own question. Had you answered it like this "If you are asking me to answer my own question the answer is "no."" then we would have avoided this whole page. Simple huh! :wasted

But you didn't ask me my own question. You asked me a different question. You asked me <YOUR QUESTION> "how do you equate minority status?" That is a different question than <MY QUESTION> "Do you equate race and minority status?"

It really isn't too difficult. Again I'm left wondering if you are the most successful troll ever . . . or if you are as you appear.

When minorities are specifically targeted for violent crime by the majority, that is a form of terrorism.