Hate crime?

I've never really understood why a crime needs to be classified as a "hate" crime. If some thugs break into my house and rape my wife or beat me or kill one of my children, why do people think it any worse if it happened to be some minorities home nd some racial slurs are tossed in? I just don't get it. I'm all for anything that might increase the punishment but aren't these actions the epitome of hate with or without some minority status being involved?

I've never really understood why a crime needs to be classified as a "hate" crime. If some thugs break into my house and rape my wife or beat me or kill one of my children, why do people think it any worse if it happened to be some minorities home nd some racial slurs are tossed in? I just don't get it. I'm all for anything that might increase the punishment but aren't these actions the epitome of hate with or without some minority status being involved?

The South Park argument!

It doesn't have to be a minority status. That's kind of an odd assumption . . .

The South Park argument!

It very well could be an "odd' assumption but aren't the majority of "hate crime" classifications rooted in race somewhere.............??

The South Park argument!

It very well could be an "odd' assumption but aren't the majority of "hate crime" classifications rooted in race somewhere.............??

Do you equate race and minority status? :dunno

The South Park argument!

No..........my bad.................just thinking you seem to hear of hate crimes vs the majority less frequently.................

The South Park argument!

No..........my bad.................just thinking you seem to hear of hate crimes vs the majority less frequently.................

Maybe. The linked article is about black teens beating a white guy.

Maybe I am wrong but it seems the "hate" crime moniker is usually reserved and related to some race status or sexual orientation status. I guess I worded my reservations about it wrongly. I don't see what it matters if the perps or the victims happen to be black, white, gay, straight, or whatever. The fact remains that a crime was committed. I just don't see what it matters if they hurled racial slurs or homophobic taunts while they were doing the crime. If we're talking about a rape or murder for instance, the victim has been harmed severely. Calling them a name during the act seems rather insignificant to me. LIke I said, I am all for anything that increases the punishment but I just don't see the sense in another stipulation that differentiates us based on race, color, sex, orientation, etc. Those things are not supposed to matter in this country because we are all equal. It seems we could possibly get over the hump of actually accepting everyone as equal if we weren't constantly treating people like they are somehow different.

• Fire 1

The South Park argument!

how do you equate minority status? :confucius

Maybe I am wrong but it seems the "hate" crime moniker is usually reserved and related to some race status or sexual orientation status. I guess I worded my reservations about it wrongly. I don't see what it matters if the perps or the victims happen to be black, white, gay, straight, or whatever. The fact remains that a crime was committed. I just don't see what it matters if they hurled racial slurs or homophobic taunts while they were doing the crime. If we're talking about a rape or murder for instance, the victim has been harmed severely. Calling them a name during the act seems rather insignificant to me. LIke I said, I am all for anything that increases the punishment but I just don't see the sense in another stipulation that differentiates us based on race, color, sex, orientation, etc. Those things are not supposed to matter in this country because we are all equal. It seems we could possibly get over the hump of actually accepting everyone as equal if we weren't constantly treating people like they are somehow different.

+1 :thumbs